This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• If we have an official job thread now, let me add that my company is hiring C/C++ systems software engineers in the Boston MetroWest (about 30 miles west of the city or so) area.
  • The Hasbro position is very interesting. It either means they sacked an existing person for managing it poorly, or they're hiring a NEW position to better milk the franchise.

Having one person managing just one brand underlies the importance of the particular brand.
  • FYI, as someone who used to live in Pawtucket, a lot of it is a pretty rough town (though it does have some nicer areas). Fortunately, Providence is right next door and has some quite nice areas. You're also right on the MA border so you can look there as well.
  • If anyone wants to move to the sunny south and get into IT/development, the company I work for is hiring for both .NET/SQL devs and product support positions.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking for technical presales in Manhattan. Good Linux/technical background, presentation/sales skills. Financial experience would be nice, but not necessary.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Regeneron in East Greenbush is looking for regulatory and biotech production staff.
  • Rym, what does "technical presales" entail? I've heard that term bandied around a lot recently.
  • Rym, what does "technical presales" entail? I've heard that term bandied around a lot recently.
    If you have to ask, you're not qualified. ;^)

Presales is technical requirements gathering, technical support for potential (but not current) customers (or current customers regarding specifically new functionality), project management, relationship management, and documentation all rolled into one.
  • From the engineering realm, that sounds like a blend of Systems Engineer and Application Engineer. Systems Engineering is not to be confused with systems administration. I have a master's in the former and it makes searching for jobs a pain sometimes, although it would take the offer from heaven to pull me from my current job.
  • Technical Presales is an interesting job, or rather it can be. I'm kind of surprised you guys would be hiring a person whose entire job is that rather than leaning on a more broadly qualified "salesperson". I thought you were a small shop.

It sounds like technical presales is basically another term for sales engineer (or "solutions engineer as we call them), with a dash of support engineer thrown in.
  • If you are ever looking for a Biology job in the Philly area, I got the hook ups.
  • The end of the school year is coming up, do you have a job? Want one?

Ok, that was kind of cheesy. But really if you're a comp sci major and don't have something lined up, the company I work for has a few openings for programmers. Slam your eye sockets against this:

Entry Level Software Engineer - QA

Or if you don't want to create tools, shove these words in your brain:

Software Engineer 1

Hit me up for details. If you're not a programmer, we do have other job openings too. Honestly, this is a great place to start a career. Charleston's a fun city right out of school (beaches, College of Charleston girls), too.
  • If you're in the Boston area, my company is hiring new college grads as well as experienced C/C++ systems programmers. If you're comfortable working on multithreaded, lower-level code in C++, hit me up.
  • If you're nerdy and have this summer off (e.g., college students, teachers, people planning on being between jobs for the summer) and you want to work for an awesome company with awesome people teaching awesome kids awesome things, this is for you:

http://www.internaldrive.com/why-id/summer-camp-jobs-and-full-time-employment-at-our-computer-camps/summer-camp-jobs-and-employment-at-our-computer-camps/
  • If you're nerdy and have this summer off (e.g., college students, teachers, people planning on being between jobs for the summer) and you want to work for an awesome company with awesome people teaching awesome kids awesome things, this is for you:
    Had my hopes up, till I saw the list of requirements.
    Also, can you still work with kids? Even after the incident?

• edited February 2012
    If you're nerdy and have this summer off (e.g., college students, teachers, people planning on being between jobs for the summer) and you want to work for an awesome company with awesome people teaching awesome kids awesome things, this is for you:
    Also, can you still work with kids? Even after the incident?
    Hey, it was just that one time, and he was only on fire a little bit. And what's few ringing ears and chunks of shrapnel between friends?
    Post edited by Churba on
    Honestly, as long as you can convince them that you can learn whatever you need to teach in the time between your hire date and your first day of work, you'll be fine - They hire for the personality and the work ethic, not necessarily the qualifications.
  • The programming-related stuff is within my interests, and I've played around with multi-threaded projects some since college. If people actually want to send any info my way email my username at hotmail and I'll take a closer look.
  • edited February 2012
    If you ever need an entry level science job and live near a Charles River Labs site I can hook you ups.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Oh, there's a jobs thread. If anybody knows companies who are hiring CS sophomores for internships, could you pass them my way? I don't want to be poor this summer.
  • Oh, there's a jobs thread. If anybody knows companies who are hiring CS sophomores for internships, could you pass them my way? I don't want to be poor this summer.
    Do not get an internship. So many gullible kids go do hard work for free. It's often illegal, and insane. CS skills, even without a degree, are in extremely high demand. Get a real job for real moneys. Almost every company in the world is desperate for programmers. That's why we are all getting calls from recruiters constantly.
    Do not get an internship. So many gullible kids go do hard work for free. It's often illegal, and insane. CS skills, even without a degree, are in extremely high demand. Get a real job for real moneys. Almost every company in the world is desperate for programmers. That's why we are all getting calls from recruiters constantly.
    Internship does not imply unpaid. First, there is no fucking way I'm working for free. Second, if I'm doing something interesting enough, I can get a grant from my college that will cover my bills.
  • edited February 2012
    Honestly, as long as you can convince them that you can learn whatever you need to teach in the time between your hire date and your first day of work, you'll be fine - They hire for the personality and the work ethic, not necessarily the qualifications.
    I'll look into it. I might be able to pick enough up to manage it.
    CS skills, even without a degree, are in extremely high demand. Get a real job for real moneys. Almost every company in the world is desperate for programmers. That's why we are all getting calls from recruiters constantly.
    I should note, this "World" Scott speaks of is New York/the USA as perceived by Scott Rubin, but it would apply reasonably well to most of the US in the real world, at least by what I'm told by other CS professionals - though, he's not alone among Americans who think that "USA=The World", so he is forgiven.

Here, and to the best of my knowledge in the UK, If you want a job in CS that isn't temp-job data entry bullshit with fuck all pay and no career prospects, then you either have a qualification(Or preferably, more than one, maybe with some certificates for garnish), or they laugh in your face and throw your resume in the bin. It's related to the way our education systems work, as opposed to the pretty bullshit for-profit US system.

On the upside, assuming you can and will put in the work necessary, then getting your degree isn't hard or limited by your ability to stuff the university coffers, it's wonderfully easy to get a fantastic education both here and in the UK.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Honestly, as long as you can convince them that you can learn whatever you need to teach in the time between your hire date and your first day of work, you'll be fine - They hire for the personality and the work ethic, not necessarily the qualifications.
    I'll look into it. I might be able to pick enough up to manage it.
    CS skills, even without a degree, are in extremely high demand. Get a real job for real moneys. Almost every company in the world is desperate for programmers. That's why we are all getting calls from recruiters constantly.
    I should note, this "World" Scott speaks of is New York/the USA as perceived by Scott Rubin, but it would apply reasonably well to most of the US in the real world, at least by what I'm told by other CS professionals - though, he's not alone among Americans who think that "USA=The World", so he is forgiven.

Here, and to the best of my knowledge in the UK, If you want a job in CS that isn't temp-job data entry bullshit with fuck all pay and no career prospects, then you either have a qualification(Or preferably, more than one, maybe with some certificates for garnish), or they laugh in your face and throw your resume in the bin. It's related to the way our education systems work, as opposed to the pretty bullshit for-profit US system.

On the upside, assuming you can and will put in the work necessary, then getting your degree isn't hard or limited by your ability to stuff the university coffers, it's wonderfully easy to get a fantastic education both here and in the UK.
    I've been contacted by recruiters in Europe before. In most of the western world where computer jobs exist at all there is a larger demand for people with computer skills and a low supply.
  • edited February 2012
    I've been contacted by recruiters in Europe before. In most of the western world where computer jobs exist at all there is a larger demand for people with computer skills and a low supply.
    Yes, Scott, and you already have a degree and a job in CS, along with - I assume, from what I know of you and your skills - a proven track record of being very, very good at your job. I know people without degrees who have been approached by companies outside of the US, too, but invariably it was after someone in the US had already employed them, and rather than a degree, they had a long record of Proven high-quality work.

I don't think that recruiters in Europe are going to be dashing to their phones to call up some asshole with no certifications, qualifications, or verifiable record of doing good work just because they're clever behind a keyboard. They're desperate for skilled workers, but they're not that fucking desperate.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I've been contacted by recruiters in Europe before. In most of the western world where computer jobs exist at all there is a larger demand for people with computer skills and a low supply.
    Yes, Scott, and you already have a degree and a job in CS, along with - I assume, from what I know of you and your skills - a proven track record of being very, very good at your job. I don't think that recruiters in Europe are going to be dashing to their phones to call up some asshole with no certifications, qualifications, or verifiable record of doing good work. They're Desperate for skilled workers, but they're not that fucking desperate.

I'm not suggesting these places are going to give you for real jobs. If you could get one of those, then you could just drop out of school and save a ton of moneys you were spending on college. There are still plenty of junior level type positions. Especially look for places that do project based work. If they just got a new project, or they are behind on an existing one, they might try to get more hands, even temporary inexperienced ones, to get it done. They also wouldn't mind that you leave when the project is done. Now, smart people know that hiring more people doesn't directly translate to getting the work done faster, but enough companies still try it anyway.

• I find most recruiters too poorly informed to be of any use. At least the ones I've had calls and emails from. I would gladly work with "an agent" that I felt was competent. I find looking for work boring, tedious, and time intensive. The same goes for realtors and finding housing. I will gladly pay people to help me with these things, but it's practically looking for another job to find someone that's good at it.
  • edited February 2012
    I'm not suggesting these places are going to give you for real jobs. If you could get one of those, then you could just drop out of school and save a ton of moneys you were spending on college. There are still plenty of junior level type positions. Especially look for places that do project based work. If they just got a new project, or they are behind on an existing one, they might try to get more hands, even temporary inexperienced ones, to get it done. They also wouldn't mind that you leave when the project is done. Now, smart people know that hiring more people doesn't directly translate to getting the work done faster, but enough companies still try it anyway.
    Trust me, they're still going to want at the very least some certifications or student in CS who can prove the quality of their work, at least here and in the UK - I can't speak for the US and the rest of Europe. Like I said, it's to do with the tertiary education system being a lot different to the US system - it's a lot easier to get into and complete your education here and in the UK, not because obtaining the degree itself is any easier, but because it's easier to get into the course, and easier to stay for the entirety of the course with things like financial obligations, methods of education debt repayment and so on.

I'm not saying you're generally wrong, I'm just saying that it's not worldwide, your statement was only inaccurate because you applied it too broadly - things can be quite different outside of the US, and not because of the nature of the field, because of outside or tangentially related factors.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My problem so far is finding smaller jobs in the area. It's easy to discover the big corporate jobs, and I know there are tons of CS jobs in Seattle but I'm having trouble finding some. Or they're not hiring so they're not showing up on job listing sites.