This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Shit FRC Forum Says

edited February 2012 in Forum Stuff
"Why don't you go speed dating and tell us about your experiences?"
"Fuck that I have to play Counter-Strike."

Comments

• (Blah blah blah divorce/relationship serious talk).
    So for the important question that is on everyone's mind:
    Did you get the PS3?
  • "Source?"
  • "Fucking Origin"
  • "Wahm today."
  • edited February 2012
    "Fucking Origin"
    I've said that about seventy times in the last two hours. Fucking origin. Seventy one.

At least I don't think this is going to turn into /r/shitredditsays or /r/srs which is basically "Everything everyone does is extremely offensive to my delicate sensibilities, and I want to have a circlejerk about how fantastic I am because I think everyone else should be offended too."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • "Wahm today."
    Wahm yestadey.

• "Wahm today."
    Wahm yestadey.
    Even wahmer today.
  • edited February 2012
    OMG ponies.

Woman!
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • At least I don't think this is going to turn into /r/shitredditsays or /r/srs which is basically "Everything everyone does is extremely offensive to my delicate sensibilities, and I want to have a circlejerk about how fantastic I am because I think everyone else should be offended too."
    The FRC forum does not need a separate thread for the purpose of calling someone out on their bullshit. I think we do that pretty effectively in every other thread.
  • The FRC forum does not need a separate thread for the purpose of calling someone out on their bullshit. I think we do that pretty effectively in every other thread.
    I agree in principle, but "Shit Reddit Says" Isn't really about calling people out for bullshit, it's about "I'M OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING EVER AND YOU SHOULD BE TOO OR ELSE YOU'RE HITLER."

• ...ELSE YOU'RE HITLER."
    Do I get a stylin' moustache?
  • So we are Hitler if nothing offends us? What are people who are offended by everything?
  • Hitler was offended by a lot. Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, illness, mental deficiencies, dark hair...
  • At least I don't think this is going to turn into /r/shitredditsays or /r/srs which is basically "Everything everyone does is extremely offensive to my delicate sensibilities, and I want to have a circlejerk about how fantastic I am because I think everyone else should be offended too."
    Except pretty much everything that goes onto SRS is offensive, and most of what isn't is misinterpreted sarcasm. Reddit is almost entirely a shithole filled with privileged white nerds exhibiting varying degrees of racism and sexism.
  • edited February 2012

Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited February 2012
    Except pretty much everything that goes onto SRS is offensive, and most of what isn't is misinterpreted sarcasm. Reddit is almost entirely a shithole filled with privileged white nerds exhibiting varying degrees of racism and sexism.
    I'm looking at it right now, and that's horseshit. The majority of things in here are just tenuous, oversensitive bullshit at best, and despite the sidebar rule, the place works like a downvote brigade half the time. They're attacking people for even the slightest breach of their ludicrous standards of correctness and having a snide little circle jerk about how fantastic they are - Basically, if you say something that anyone at all could ever be even a little bit offended at, then welcome to the front page of r/SRS.

Basically, r/SRS is just r/Circlejerk, but with the tears of the hyper-sensitive, hysterical and insane being used as lube. They're the hyper-sensitive concerned, super-nosy evangelical christian neighbor of Reddit. They have legitimate complaints from time to time, but the vast majority of their complaints are just idiotic I'm-so-offended circlejerks. It's not about changing anything, or being a positive force - it's about being haughty and supercilious, because they're offended by these horrible things that are beneath such civilized and enlightened people such as them, and these plebeian animals are not. Look how good we are, compared to those worthless animals, isn't it lovely, everyone. Yes, very lovely.

Yeah, reddit does have a ton of white Nerds, and a ton of racists and sexists. Yeah, they're a problem. But r/srs isn't the antidote or opposition to that, it's just as bad, only from the opposite viewpoint. They are the Michael Moore to Fox's Glenn Beck, the only real difference between the two sacks of shit is that their declared causes oppose each other - which doesn't change that they're both sacks of shit.

Or in this case, thumb-twiddling concern trolls, who take it out there, rather than actually having a hard word to anyone, because then they don't lose their precious karma when someone inevitably downvotes them - which they will, not because they're correct-but-unpopular, but because they're the kind of people who get outraged that people in r/gonewild openly say people are sexy and make sexual remarks.

Jesus christ, at least when I have a problem with something someone says, I'll sack up and fucking say something about it, karma be damned, rather than just snickering and making snide comments in the metaphorical locker room where most people won't hear.

Or, the TL:DR version - No, that's simply bollocks. The reason everyone thinks of and treats r/SRS like a circlejerk and a joke, is because they're a circlejerk and a complete joke. It exists solely so that they can feel superior to other people - they're as bad as the people they're carrying on about.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • A: I think I'm going to play video game X.

B: It all boils down to whether or not there is free will and solipsism. You're wrong.
  • A: I think I'm going to play video game X.

B: It all boils down to whether or not there is free will and solipsism. You're wrong.
    I'm not sure if I should read that so that B is a reply to As statement, but I like that way.

• Your opinion is factually incorrect.
  • edited February 2012
    Your facts are incorrect, because my opinion.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It's not about changing anything, or being a positive force - it's about being haughty and supercilious, because they're offended by these horrible things that are beneath such civilized and enlightened people such as them, and these plebeian animals are not. Look how good we are, compared to those worthless animals, isn't it lovely, everyone. Yes, very lovely.
    This description of r/SRS is pretty accurate, actually. It's a circlejerk about how awesome they are.

However, I would argue the point that they're oversensitive. They have a low bar for how sexist/racist/ableist/elitist a statement needs to be to get posted on SRS, but they're not jumping at shadows. Rather, the problem is that the things they bring up, statements that aren't extraordinarily offensive, but that indicate an underlying racism informing the person who made the comment, are so incredibly common that most people don't even notice them. There is a kind of casual prejudice on reddit and the internet in general, particularly in regards to women, that is so fucking pervasive that people can say really sexist things and then accuse the people who notice of being oversensitive. But the problem is with the society that allows a kind of subtle, low-profile prejudice to flourish, rather than with the people making comments that are socially-acceptable or with the SRS types who take notice of the problem.

Perhaps it's because I spend quite a bit of my free time hanging out with radical feminists, but I've become very sensitized to subtle sexism and anti-LGBT sentiments over the past year or so. I'd like to extend some of that same sensitivity to you guys, so I don't rage myself into a coma at the internet.
  • edited February 2012
    That's a fair call. They don't exactly jump at shadows, but it's more about that they're beating up on people for the tiniest infractions, when much more serious stuff goes unchallenged. Seriously, I've seen big long threads where they're just whipping themselves into a fine lather over people who say the smallest things, but most of the stuff they post about is nothing at all, when it would be practically zero extra effort to go after people who are actually quite seriously terrible. If they're not going to tackle the people who are being genuinely terrible, rather than attacking people who are generally just unaware of the prejudice and offense to some of what they're saying(and thus turning them into enemies, rather than potential allies), then what they're doing is useless and counterproductive.

It's kinda why nobody takes them seriously, and why they're useless at what they set out to do - the whole we're-so-great-because-we're-offended circlejerk just means everyone rolls their eyes and ignores them, because they're just annoying and indignant about everything. People have started to actively try to piss them off, just to watch them rage themselves to bits - so basically, they're now creating the exact problem they hate, because they went about trying to combat it such an ass-backwards manner.

I get what you mean about being sensitized to subtle sexism and anti-LGBT statements - I pay a lot of attention to it myself. Unlike r/srs, I just don't rage about it, I stay chill, and then act when it's appropriate or useful to act - selecting targets for maximum effect.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Stop moving goalposts.
  • I'm depressed.
  • I'm single, woe is me.
  • edited February 2012
    PYRAMID!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I know you're being a troll but I will continue to argue against you anyway.
  • PYRAMID!
    PYRAMID!
  • "Scott, you are wrong."