This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I am published

edited July 2007 in Board Games
I am published once more!

Quartile

Rym, Scott, I have a copy for you, ifn' you be interested.

Comments

• Wow, I didn't know you made board games. Congrats!
  • I am a man of many talents. Aside from my biological limitations there is nothing I can not do. Some things would require training such as open heart surgery but, you get the picture.
  • That's really cool.
  • edited July 2007
    You've obviously worked very hard on this. It's very polished.

Is it published by Simply Fun? Do you have a copyright? Do you have a design patent?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited July 2007
    Option two: Blog about this new game (using this article as the article you link to and “Quartile” as the anchor text) and tell the world about it.
    If I can get it to the front page of Reddit or Digg, can I claim an entry?
    Post edited by Neito on
  • It looks very nice. I'd ask what the game itself is like but seeing as it looks like the kind of game you could easily make your own pieces for once you knew how it worked, maybe that's a bad question. :P
  • Patent, No. Copyright, yes. The game is only licensed to them but they also have first renewal rights when the contract expires. I'm only surprised that they went with the new name before checking on the status of the domain.

Yes, you can make one on your own but at $40 it's just cheaper to buy it than to make your own.

If you get it to the front page of digg/reddit/etc you will knock down my blog! Besides, you can't get hmtk.com onto the digg front page, I'm on their auto-bury list.
  • edited July 2007
    I'd buy it, but the people in the photo are having way too much fun. I'm nervous that it has some sort of mind control effect. And what's up with the ashtray in the side table? The fact you have a kitty cat as your BGG icon is also creeping me out.

Of course Tom Vasel gave it a positive review, so it must be good!

In all seriousness, congratulations. That's quite the accomplishment.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Tom got his copy long ago, before I inked the deal with Simply fun.

The cat? I hardly ever go to BGG anymore so I have not updated that one in a long time. That particular cat is now a 16 lb monstosity with a huge head.
  • I got burned out on BGG too. The problem with a website run by someone who administers it for a living is that they keep tinkering with it until it becomes way too overdone. Once he started adding guilds, etc - I was done. I still go to it for the occasional reference, but there is way too much white noise.
  • I got burned out on BGG too. The problem with a website run by someone who administers it for a living is that they keep tinkering with it until it becomes way too overdone. Once he started adding guilds, etc - I was done. I still go to it for the occasional reference, but there is way too much white noise.
    I only use BGG to look at the actual game info pages. I don't use or look at any of the other features. I just treat it like the Wikipedia of board games.
  • My big box of comp copies just came in! Now I have to write some publicity pieces and contact my local paper.
  • Is this a company that facilitates self-publishing, or are you not shouldering any of the risk?
  • This company takes a large portion of the risk. It costs me nothing to have them publish my game as they have a license from me to publish the game.

The down side is their limited market. Because they are a "home party" company the game will not be available in stores. You can order it from their website though.

The risk I take is that they do not push/sell the game well enough I lose out on royalties. It's not unlike the risk an anime company takes when sending anime to a foreign market. You have some quality control over the project but if they fuck it up bad enough you are toast.

So, the risk I take is much smaller than the risk they take.