This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beginner's guide to Board Games

edited July 2007 in Board Games
After listening to each week's board game episode I've finally decided to go along to a local group and check it out. I've never done any board gaming before and I was wondering if anyone had any advice, particularly with things like (unwritten) rules and expectations?

Comments

• 1. If you have breasts they will be stared at.
    2. That smell? It's unwashed maleness. Seriously, bring a can of Lysol with you!
    3. If you are female, you will be hit on.
  • RymRym
    edited July 2007
    There's only one real rule, at least if you were to join our own gaming group.
    -ahem-
    TAKE YOUR GOD DAMNED TURN!

In general, most boardgamers will actually go out of their way to teach you one of their favourite games and then play it with you.  Any possibly social awkwardness will be mostly cancelled by their desire to play.  Just be friendly and express interest, and you'll be almost immediately enter their inner circle.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Thanks for your advice. Honestly, I was probably most concerned with holding up gameplay while trying to remember all the rules but in light of the above I'll just give it my best shot and take my turn as quickly as possible.
  • edited August 2007
    Most gamers are usually excited to help bring others into the board gaming fold. Tell them what type of stuff you're interested in and they'll know what game to start you with. Or if there is a game they are passionate about, it might rub off on you and you'll enjoy yourself. There are some games that are great based on the people playing.
    Post edited by bodtchboy on
  • I was probably most concerned with holding up gameplay while trying to remember all the rules

In regards to that, here's a useful bit of advice.  This is for anyone who is playing a game where they're not 100% sure that they understand the rules completely and totally.  In fact, I'd recommend this for many gamers, particularly with unfamiliar players or in busy/loud rooms.
    Whenever you take an action, no matter how trivial, declare it verbally.  Further declare each step of any action, as well as any spent or obtained resources.  "I move the king and take four buckets."  "I spend seven oil and four sheep to purchase two balls, getting a third ball free due to my harvester."  "I attack with seven men.  After terrain and bucket bonuses, my final attack value is twenty, against your seven."
    Don't ask for confirmation or anything: simply state your actions precisely.  This serves several purposes.  One, other players will easily be able to help you avoid accidentally cheating.  Two, if you do accidentally cheat, the other players have no one to blame but themselves.  Three, it allows other players to keep track of what's going on in the game better, particularly at conventions or gatherings.
    If you're at all worried about messing a game up and looking a fool, this simple procedure will save you a lot of grief. ^_^
  • Just a quick update to say that I went to the board game group this evening and it went really well. Thank you for your advice as verbalising my actions helped in crystallizing the rules and the other players were on the ball to minimise errors. There were plenty of people and everyone was very friendly and willing to teach so it looks like I'll be going back.

If you're interested, on my table we played: TransAmerica, Antike, Ca$h 'n' Gun$ and Apples to Apples.
  • Just a quick update to say that I went to the board game group this evening and it went really well. Thank you for your advice as verbalising my actions helped in crystallizing the rules and the other players were on the ball to minimise errors. There were plenty of people and everyone was very friendly and willing to teach so it looks like I'll be going back.

If you're interested, on my table we played: TransAmerica, Antike, Ca$h 'n' Gun$ and Apples to Apples.
    Glad you had a fun time rocking the board games. Our gaming group actually changed locations to further away, so we are thinking about starting our own gaming group in our town's coffee shop. It might be just us for awhile, but that's fine.