This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Oh it's very obvious that they have a sense of humor about the fact the game is not really a game. They never expected it to just take off wildly like it did. What Ro was talking about with the "bag of buffs" is the evidence I'm talking about.

They make all sorts of little junk accessories and hunks of plastic that come with additional official Munchkin rules that boost your levels or stats. Sometimes they are freebies, sometimes they make them ludicrously expensive. They even regularly tweet out things like "If you were born on a Tuesday, +2 levels at game start!" and random crap like that. And they say it all with a straight face that these are the official, legal rules.

I think it's absolutely hilarious. I know it's been going on for years prior to their existence, but it seems like a big parody of free-to-play microtransactions.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I think SJ Games also knows that Munchkin is a broken non-game, but it pays the bills, so they don't give a fuck.
    Eeeeeeeyup. I'm sure every MMO designer knows their mechanics are bullshit, but it's hard to argue with gigantic mountains of cash.

• I think SJ Games also knows that Munchkin is a broken non-game, but it pays the bills, so they don't give a fuck.
    Eeeeeeeyup. I'm sure every MMO designer knows their mechanics are bullshit, but it's hard to argue with gigantic mountains of cash.

And I imagine some of the designers know little changes that they can make that will make the game money, but the publisher just wants it to be "more like WoW".
  • Just got a few more board games to try out and play again. Didn't really plan it, but I've now got 6 of the top 15 on BGG. To the curious, I got Agricola, 7 Wonders, and Wits and Wagers.
  • Congratulations, you will have played Agricola before I have and I've owned the game for over a year.

7 Wonders is good times. You should get the expansion Leaders. I think it's a fun addition to the game.
  • 7 Wonders is good times. You should get the expansion Leaders. I think it's a fun addition to the game.
    My friend has the Leaders expansion but we haven't actually played it yet, so I'm going to hold off until we do. The only reason I got the game is because he never seems to have it around we want to play it :P He leaves his games at others' places all the time.
  • edited February 2012
    Congratulations, you will have played Agricola before I have and I've owned the game for over a year.

7 Wonders is good times. You should get the expansion Leaders. I think it's a fun addition to the game.
    You've NEVER played Agricola? Guess what is happening at PAX East? I'll even be nice and tell you some of the keys to victory before the game begins.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Congratulations, you will have played Agricola before I have and I've owned the game for over a year.

You've NEVER played Agricola? Guess what is happening at PAX East? I'll even be nice and tell you some of the keys to victory before the game begins.
    Be a dick, get in Scott's way on the board, make babies faster than everyone else, ignore the cards. ;^)

• edited February 2012
    Congratulations, you will have played Agricola before I have and I've owned the game for over a year.

Be a dick, get in Scott's way on the board, make babies faster than everyone else, ignore the cards. ;^)

Definitely make babies first. Get in Rym's way on the board. Ignore the cards, unless you can get a nice benefit on a free action or build up a crazy combo.

Also, decide how to make your food early, and make a lot of it. Make sure to grab the right oven for your kind of cooking before they run out. Once you have a food supply, make sure you do a little of everything.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2012
    I really need to emphasize ignore the cards. I know that's what I need to do, and yet every single fucking time I play, I wind up looking at my cards and saying "OOH SHINY I WANT."

I've yet to win a game. But it's fun.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

Definitely make babies first. Get in Rym's way on the board. Ignore the cards, unless you can get a nice benefit on a free action or build up a crazy combo.

Also, decide how to make your food early, and make a lot of it. Make sure to grab the right oven for your kind of cooking before they run out. Once you have a food supply, make sure you do a little of everything.
    This has me even more excited for PAX east. This, and running a Battlestations game with Chase again. It will be hilarity.
  • I am so running Werewolf and Inspectres games all up ins. We're also so playing some mother fucking Eclipse (though that's a game you should read the rules for ahead of time to minimize teaching time).
  • Sweet. I'll take you up on that offer Scott. That's the best way to learn a game anyways.

I have no idea what special games we'll bring since all the really fun games I we've played I've shown you, you guys already bought. Wait, we'll definitely be bringing Penny Arcade: Gamers Vs. Evil. It's a fun game just for the name and art of the cards.
  • Sweet. I'll take you up on that offer Scott. That's the best way to learn a game anyways.

I have no idea what special games we'll bring since all the really fun games I we've played I've shown you, you guys already bought. Wait, we'll definitely be bringing Penny Arcade: Gamers Vs. Evil. It's a fun game just for the name and art of the cards.
    I call Evil!

I have no inside info on this, but I'm willing to bet you'll be able to get the new "Rumble in R'Lyeh" expansion at PAX East if it's not already out on store shelves by then.

I have no inside info on this, but I'm willing to bet you'll be able to get the new "Rumble in R'Lyeh" expansion at PAX East if it's not already out on store shelves by then.
    Rumble in R'Lyeh is the awesomest name.

• edited February 2012
    Jeremy has been imploring me to help him make somewhat decent artwork for the game he's sending to these one guys in NYC to test out. I finally caved in and made him a countdown/turn counter board. I made it in theme for his game, hence the meteors.

I used SketchBook Pro on my iPad and Photoshop to make it. It's nothing major, but it was pretty fun to do.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I feel the need to do some crazy board gaming tomorrow, in lieu of watching the super bowl. Anyone want to join in via Skype or whatnot? I can figure out getting the webcam pointed at the board, or we could figure out if there's a way to make vassal work.
  • edited February 2012
    Jeremy has been imploring me to help him make somewhat decent artwork for the game he's sending to these one guys in NYC to test out. I finally caved in and made him a countdown/turn counter board. I made it in theme for his game, hence the meteors.

I used SketchBook Pro on my iPad and Photoshop to make it. It's nothing major, but it was pretty fun to do.

Looks good. If I may make a suggestion you should try to put a little color on the meteor numbers. Or maybe a flame type outline for the meteor tail part. Probably don't want to fill in the meteor tails because it would cover up to much of the background meteor.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited February 2012
    I think SJ Games also knows that Munchkin is a broken non-game, but it pays the bills, so they don't give a fuck.
    As long as people who want to be "hardcore /tg/ gaemrs" keep buying The Adventures of Buckaroo Munchkin Across the 8th Dimension, Munchkingate SG-1, Munchkin Whedonverse, or whatever other hopelessly pandering Munchkins come out, so that SJ Games can continue to put out truly awesome, hardcore stuff like the new edition of OGRE and the volumes upon volumes of GURPS material that's out there, I will not complain.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Looks good. If I may make a suggestion you should try to put a little color on the meteor numbers. Or maybe a flame type outline for the meteor tail part. Probably don't want to fill in the meteor tails because it would cover up to much of the background meteor.
    Thanks for the advice. This is all just a prototype for the game. It's nothing final. Jeremy plans on actually hiring an artist with more experience and knowledge for the artwork of his game when he gets more playtesting and tweaking done.

I will more than likely be asking for any artists here if they are up for the task down the road. Of course they will be compensated.
  • Just got Brass, the highest ranked game on BGG I have never played. Read the rules and punched it. Seems pretty good. The next highest ranked I've never played is... War of the Ring. After that, Dominant Species. Oh boy.
    Also, designing and constantly re-breaking such a profitable non-game must be extremely fun.
  • Just got Brass, the highest ranked game on BGG I have never played. Read the rules and punched it. Seems pretty good. The next highest ranked I've never played is... War of the Ring. After that, Dominant Species. Oh boy.
    War of the Ring is not that bad. Interesting asymetrical design. The main flaw is that it is effectively a card game thus there is card draw randomness and knowing all the cards by heart gives you quite an advantage over someone who doesn't know the cards.

You've got quite a road of fun ahead of you. I've been trying to knock down my BGG Top 100 list for a while now too. Two years ago I had an embarrassing list of classics I'd never played. Haven't played a bad one yet when going off the list. I have fairly diverse tastes and each game has been enjoyable in its own way.

I'm curious about some of the new hotness poking into the Top 100 though, and wonder about how their algorithms work. I know there are thousand-page threads on BGG bitching about just this, so I won't go that deep, but I see Troyes up there at #32, yet I don't know a single person who would list that as one of their favorite games. A lot of people I've spoken to thought it was above average or good, but I've also seen a handful of meh reactions, and people who have tired on the game more quickly than they expected. I'm thinking as the "staleness" factor of old ratings kicks in with BGGs algorithm, you'll see this one drop off the charts.

• Timo, I've been meaning to ask you, how close are you to the designer of Eclipse? I remember you mentioning way back that he was a friend of yours. Obviously, his game has set the world on fire and I've heard a lot of board game bloggers and podcasters asking "who is this guy??" If he's up for it, I'd love to set him up with an interview and try to answer that question.
  • Went down the list a bit. Ora et Labora looks interesting, but I've already got Agricola, Le Havre, etc. Looks like more of the same kind of game. Why do I need four or five different games that basically fill the same niche?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70149/ora-et-labora
  • Went down the list a bit. Ora et Labora looks interesting, but I've already got Agricola, Le Havre, etc. Looks like more of the same kind of game. Why do I need four or five different games that basically fill the same niche?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70149/ora-et-labora
    For this exact reason, I have yet to take the time to really sit down and understand what is going on in Ora et Labora. I've known for a long time that it's the new Uwe Rosenberg hotness, but I just don't need more Uwe Rosenberg hotness right now. I love the crap out of Agricola but I've never even played Le Havre or At the Gates of Loyang.

When the dust settles and all the BGGers are done arguing which one on these four is the best, I'll move on to playing that one. If I lived in fantasy land where I could get a group to play farming Euros five nights a week, I would probably be relishing in the variety provided by small differences in each of these games, but unfortunately, myself and most others are lucky to get these games out a few times per year.

• I've finally bought a few more shelves so we can reorganize our board game collection. Of course, this means that we now have more space for board games to reside, so I need to fill that space with more games.
  • I'm going to be moving in April/May, so I've gone through the board game closet again and put up for trade a good 10+ review copy games I no longer have any interest in. I tired on Super Dungeon Explore a bit quickly, and was never into Elder Sign (co-op dice game based on Arkham Horror), so I've managed to trade the two of those in a combo for Caylus and 7 Wonders. Operation "increase average quality of games in my closet" is working out well. Next up is trying to trade Conquest of Planet Earth (mediocre Flying Frog game) for Stone Age or some other good euro.