This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Series One T-Shirts (Official Thread)

RymRym
edited July 2007 in Everything Else
We're slowly getting into gear to start producing swag, and of course we're starting with T-Shirts.  If you're interested in one, be sure to hit the poll on the main page about shirt sizes.  Once we finalize the basic designs of the first series (what they'll say, what graphics they'll have, etc...), we'll be posting several mockups here, for which we'll expect feedback and suggestions.  From there, we'll move to voting for the final designs.

Graphics are forthcoming, but for now, the most popular ideas seem to be the following:

Get the hell off my internets.
You can't _____ ten ______.  (In all of its possible forms)
Generic Logo Shirt

Discuss!

Comments

• As for fabric and shirt style, we're looking into the unit prices for all the different options.  We're trying to make these as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality.  Unlike possible future series of shirts, we're not expecting to make much if any money off of these.
    Is there anything in particular you like/dislike in a T-Shirt?  Fabrics, tags or lack thereof, method of printing, colors, and all of that are all under consideration.
  • edited July 2007
    If the shirts are of high enough quality, I will be willing to pay almost any amount that it takes to produce them. Am I correct in assuming you are just going to be charging the production/shipping costs?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No tags is a good idea, and the softest material possible that isn't too expensive would be nice. As for the color of the shirt, I would say a dark color along the lines of black or navy blue, possibly a dark red.
  • Am I correct in assuming you are just going to be charging the production/shipping costs?

Pretty-much.  It depends a lot on how we actually go about this.  Print-on-Demand and direct shipping would be easier, but we could probably save money by ordering in bulk directly and selling ourselves.  We plan to give a good number of the initial run away to all of the people we've promised swag over the past year and change.
    Regardless of how the numbers come out, you guys won't be paying more than a dollar or so more than what we pay, and that extra we skim will mostly be going toward covering the incidental costs of the endeavor (opportunity cost/credit interest of the initial bulk order, shipping materials, storage, etc...)
  • I want to be able to wash it more than twice before it becomes threadbare, more than three before it sports additional holes beyond the head and arm ones. Heavyish material probably meets the bill. I think one example is the Hanes "Beefy-T". I've no idea of how much that costs. I prefer the printed 'tag' on the inside (still remember the bliss I felt when my wife bought me my first pack of Hanes tagless t-shirts).

I rarely wear t-shirts with anything on them, but have a small collection of "smartass writing" shirts. I have one with a picture of a pig, a chicken, and a cow, with "Animals Taste Good" printed underneath. My second grader has a black t-shirt with the words "Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow" printed on it. I guess I lean towards clean-as-in-non-baroque designs, with simple fonts, and some sort of cleverness in the writing.
  • I would prefer shirts that aren't just black. I really get annoyed with the fact that most geeky shirts with funny sayings or logos are mostly black. I'm a big fan of color. Also will you be offering both styles/sizes for guys and girls, such as baby doll t-shirts? I would honestly drop $20 if not more for shirts about whatever I really enjoy or endorse. I look forward to what you guys come out with, and the "Get the hell of my internets" is a great slogan! ^_^
  • I'll take two. Maybe three.
  • I would prefer shirts that aren't just black. I really get annoyed with the fact that most geeky shirts with funny sayings or logos are mostly black. I'm a big fan of color
    Yea I agree. I hate black t-shirts. A grey is probably as far down that road as I'll go.
  • I would prefer shirts that aren't just black. I really get annoyed with the fact that most geeky shirts with funny sayings or logos are mostly black. I'm a big fan of color
    Yea I agree. I hate black t-shirts. A grey is probably as far down that road as I'll go.
    Color is most definitely preferable over black shirts. I'm sick of the "witty" quotes written in white over black shirts.
  • edited July 2007
    Color is most definitely preferable over black shirts. I'm sick of the "witty" quotes written in white over black shirts.
    I suggest going with blue, in order to match the logo on iTunes.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • It depends entirely on the designs and the strength of the fabric, but probably not more than 15-17 bucks.
  • I would prefer shirts that aren't just black.

Blue with white sleeves! WOOO HOOO!

*Please have long sleeved tees!
  • I want to be able to wash it more than twice before it becomes threadbare, more than three before it sports additional holes beyond the head and arm ones.
    I thought that was something I was doing. I have so many "good" T-shirts that suddenly develop tiny holes all over the place.
  • If the shirts are of high enough quality, I will be willing to pay almost any amount that it takes to produce them.
    Agreed.
  • I have a Nintendo 1up mushroom shirt that is the really bright green. I really like the color. Seriously though, anything but black works for me.

I will be purchasing at least one. Quality is key, and I really like the no tags t shirts I have gotten recently.

I am just really glad you guys are going to make swag!
  • A basic cotton non black shirt is cool. The logo has to be kick ass though or else the shirt will be ugly. I think light blue would be cool or white. Plus an optional long sleeve one too please. I can't wait to see the swag. Count me in on the tee shirt bandwagon.
  • edited July 2007
    Well I'm pretty sure there's a video on YouTube that shows you how to make your own screened T-Shirts.
    I'll edit this post when I find it.

Edit: Here it is. I don't know if you have any of the materials, though.
    Post edited by lepixelista on
  • I think that a variety of colors would be outstanding. As for the fabric, I've always been a fan of cotton, especially if it is pre-shrunk. As being a bigger guy, I have a bit of a problem when I wash a shirt and it shrinks on me.
  • edited July 2007
    What does everyone have against black T-Shirts?
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Why don't we want black tee shirts-- because we have enough of them. 70% of nerdy tee shirts that are made are black. The fact of the matter is that it is one of the three cheap colors for tee shirts (the others being white and gray). I would suggest going with white as it the cheapest to produce (whether or not that goes on the consumer is debatable). If we want it to be in the 10-15 range we can almost automatically abandon hopes of a colored tee.

Another reason against black is that it is literally too hot. I personally refuse to wear a black shirt outside in the summer. I am not going to make it hotter than it already is.
  • I can never get enough black T-shirts. I will not buy a white one.

I voted for the $11-$15 price range, but am willing to go higher if the quality and design is really good. I might even buy several.
  • I would like to vote for a t-shirt blacker than the blackest black, times infinity.
  • I would like to vote for a t-shirt blacker than the blackest black, times infinity.
    It must be so black that it sucks the life from this world before ascending planes to conquer the next.
    It's like, how much more black could you get? And the answer is none, none more black.
  • I'm assuming that a Geek Nights or Front Row Crew logo would be on it as well?
  • This is what the fourm's reaction would be if the shirt was black.
    It's like, how much more black could you get? And the answer is none, none more black.
    God, you win. Twice.
  • What does everyone have against black T-Shirts?
    To quote the Simpsons Movie, "Black?! That's the worst color there is!"
  • I think the color situation worked itself out. As a suggestion, American Apparel makes some very high quality tees if you're willing to pay the premium. Then too, you're not getting a bulk discount, which leads me to my next point.
    The first search return on the googles.
  • Black t-shirts are low-class. Baseball t-shirts are the way to go.