This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

CAGE RAGE - The Nicolas Cage Film Review Podcast

Comments

• Oh yeah, I have to point out...you guys are missing a film.

• GeoGeo
    edited February 2012
    First episode is up, please give us feedback: http://geoffino04.podomatic.com/entry/2012-02-25T19_34_22-08_00
    I apologize for the bad quality (in terms of audio quality), I don't have enough monies to afford podcast hosting fees.

Also here is our official webpage (i.e. the official blog for the podcast).

http://cageragenic.wordpress.com

Post edited by Geo on
  • edited February 2012
    This is actually way better than I thought it would be. I now have a lot of faith in the future of this podcast. A very solid start, I think. Great job.

One criticism aside from the audio quality, some of the cuts between the pauses in speech sound a bit unnatural, but I'm sure that will smooth itself out as you get more comfortable with editing and better at being able to fill those pauses.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2012
    I liked it. I will say that for The Sorcerer's Apprentice I think I did not like the film overall but it had some really good moments, like the paper getting graded.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • This is actually way better than I thought it would be. I now have a lot of faith in the future of this podcast. A very solid start, I think. Great job.
    Taking a cue from
    Daryl Surat...

• GeoGeo
    edited February 2012
    Accidental double post
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited February 2012
    It's entertaining, and the content is great, but you must have ran 8 kinds of noise cancellation or something. It sounds like I'm listening out of a tin cup.

Also, when you guys were trying to figure out if Morgana was a sorcerer or witch, all I could think was:
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2012
    It's entertaining, and the content is great, but you must have ran 8 kinds of noise cancellation or something. It sounds like I'm listening out of a tin cup.

Also, when you guys were trying to figure out if Morgana was a sorcerer or witch, all I could think was:
    The reason for that was that Podomatic could only upload with not-so-great quality for free members; hence the woes I had earlier. Also, we did this entirely over headsets and I added a bunch of filters and really had no idea what I was doing.

Post edited by Geo on
  • This sounds like something I would enjoy doing, but I don't think I'm the most qualified person when it comes to Cage pictures.
  • Hi-Hi all. I have a favor I'd like to ask of you forumites? If anyone can design a logo for the podcast (that we approve of), they will be the first guests on the podcast. In a way, think of this as the first contest of the show.
  • edited February 2012
    Just finished the episode and I enjoyed it a lot. "Summary of the plot"-style reviewing is something I would like to see fewer people do, but it works well for you guys, mainly on the strength of your banter (you both have good chemistry and distinctive voices). You don't follow the plot strictly in order throughout, which is good, because the tangents and side commentaries that spring forth from talking about the plot are prime draws for this sort of show. The more you guys build a comfortable raport, the better those things will continue to get.

Also, I would point out that the banter and informational bits were strong enough that I felt the "rating" at the end kind of unnecessary. It's clear enough from listening to the rest of the podcast what your opinion on the movie is, so there's not really a need to introduce a rating system, especially not a binary one. That's just my personal preference, though; if you prefer to keep it, go for it.

Some words to watch out for: Geo, watch your "basically"s; Ryan, watch your "seriously"s. I realize that words like that tend to be used subconsciously, and everyone has words like that that they lean on, but it does get distracting after a while when you start to notice them. You don't have to avoid those words entirely, to be clear; just try to become conscious of how you use them, that's all. And if all else fails, just cut a few instances of those words out in post.

Speaking of post: the filters have been mentioned, so you know to work on those. I will just add that a few words were cut off here and there, either by the filters or by cutting too close to the words in editing. In particular, the very end of the podcast seems to cut off, which was a little awkward. Also, maybe invest in an opening and/or ending theme? Look through podsafe music directories for stuff you could use, or maybe ask one of the more musically-inclined members here to make you something.

As for audio quality, I might be able to help on that front. I have some web hosting that I don't make full use of, and if you would like to host your podcast files somewhere that allows you full quality, I would be glad to offer you the space. If you're interested, private message me and we can work out the details.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I have an idea for an intro, but an outro is skmething that we can definitely figure out (even if it is just contact info).
  • edited February 2012
    I don't really think they need to change hosts because of audio quality. I mean, the file is at 128kbps. Friday Night Party Line is at 80kbps. I think Geo just went a little overboard with the wrong filters.

Geo, if you send me your original files, I can take a look and maybe give you an example workflow for cleaning up the audio and making it sound better.

Also, for music, you should look at stuff from Jamendo or CCMixter.org
  • OCRemixes are an analogue of Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share-Alike.
  • edited February 2012
    Oh yeah, Isn't the Geeknight's theme some Mario 3 remix?
  • Super Mario RPG remix actually.
  • edited February 2012
    I always debate which would be the better theme song to my life, you may use it for your podcast if you like. It is either Intro (Party Every Night) or Eyes on the Prize both by George and Jonathan.

Edit: Oh another good one, War Photographer.

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I think the first few bars of George and Jonathan's Planet Funk would make for a sick opener.
  • I think the first few bars of George and Jonathan's Planet Funk would make for a sick opener.
    Way too much distortion and techno.

• edited March 2012
    For hosting, there's always archive.org. True, on the site itself it is SUPER easy to get lost in the shuffle but it is free hosting that is 99% reliable.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • We shall be returning to form with Nic Cafe movies in the near future! We've decided that non-nic cage films are not the way to go...we shall do the lesser Cage films for practice. THEN we will do the films that call to us with their sweetened honey!

Episode 2 - Nicolas Cage is A Mathematician

Episode 3 - Cagey Sue Got Married
  • This is a good thing, because my last week was a living nightmare, and I haven't been able to watch Commando. Find someone else to do some filler!
  • Okay guys, after a very unplanned break, we will be returning this Sunday to record a podcast on Knowing, and this time, we want to open it up to you guys. This will be our official test on doing a podcast with more than two hosts, so I'm thinking 2 people maximum can come on this time. Any takers?
  • I am so down. I'll rewatch Knowing today!
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    Its hereby decided that open sketchbook is now planned as a guest. Any other takers?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Alright, 3:00 PM EST is the recording time.

One question though, Sonic: Have you seen Knowing recently?