This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Northeastern US Sprout Recall

Specialty Farms, LLC recalls organic sprout blends because of contamination with Listeria monocytogenes

I'm a little peeved that they didn't specify the laboratory that did the testing - that would be yours truly - but eh, whatever. These are distributed primarily at Price Chopper.

Comments

• Thank you for protecting us!
  • I've been laying off sprouts in general as per your suggestion.
  • Fucking sprouts. Why are they both so tasty and so dangerous? -_-
    Fucking magic dude...
    Indeed. The only sprouts I currently eat are the ones in the frozen pad thai noodles with tofu and sprouts. I'm hoping that is ok. >.>
  • I've been laying off sprouts in general as per your suggestion.
    Please note that any opinions I express regarding food consumption are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Department of Agriculture and Markets.

With that said: DON'T FUCKING EAT SPROUTS. OF ANY KIND.
  • With that said: DON'T FUCKING EAT SPROUTS. OF ANY KIND.
    What if they're in boiling hot soup?
  • Such an unassuming and demure looking veggie. Very tricksy....
  • What if they're in boiling hot soup?
    Personally, I still won't eat them, cooked or not.

Hypothetically, thorough cooking would eliminate the problem. When I say thorough, think chicken thorough.
  • Also, I know I say this a lot, but it bears repeating:

Despite what some many want you to think, an organic certification is not a food safety certification. The USDA does not include microbial load reduction requirements as part of the organic process. That is covered separately by HACCP plans.

So, just because you see "organic" doesn't mean it's necessarily any better or safer.
  • Sprouts are not corn, beans, or squash, so it will not be hard to cut them from my vegetable intake.
    Approves, and laughs maniacally.
  • When I see things this I wonder how early humans survived long enough to reproduce.
  • Do it early, do it often.
  • When I see things this I wonder how early humans survived long enough to reproduce.
    Same way monkeys survive in the wild.
    Same way monkeys survive in the wild.
    Yeap. Lots of them die of random stuff, but not all of them.
  • For hilarity, go visit Jimmy John's Facebook page and check out the posts on their Wall.

Apparently, the FDA hates us all.
  • Cause a secret FDA ban is behind Jimmy John's no longer offering sprouts.
  • People bitching about the FDA drive me nutty. I work in a FDA regulated lab and we fear anytime the FDA gets near us and that's a good thing!
  • We have the safest food in the entire world! Why do we need the FDA when it's already super safe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!???!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!????!??!?!?
  • I know the answer, but I'll ask my question anyway.

Why can't I have irradiated vegetables?
  • We should buy a building. Then install an irradiator. Then when the food comes from Fresh Direct, it gets irradiated.
  • edited February 2012
    For hilarity, go visit Jimmy John's Facebook page and check out the posts on their Wall.
    Apparently, the FDA hates us all.
    This is a gem:
    Sprouts no mas!? Last I checked this was America!. Congratulations JJ you just let the terrorists win. JJ your nothing without your sprouts, your sandwich is simply another over priced slab of deli meat on a bun served up with the typical lettuce, tomatoe, onion, and cheese (ok so the wheat bread is still AMAZING). I can make this same bit myself and will be doing more and more at Subway. You have regressed to the mean and I am sorry to say I was around to see this demise. I’ve never been a betting man but I’d wager to think we have seen the best of JJ and it will be a steady plummet to bowels of the cold cut world. I am sorry that you have caved to the pressures of a small few in our society and have chosen to alienate those who have supported you throughout this Economic slowdown. I go to Subway because it is cheap and it’s close. I go to JJ for the sprouts. It’s more money and it’s out of my way but JJ had sprouts. SPROUTS!!!. WILSON!!!! (and yes that was a Castaway reference).
    Post edited by Rochelle on

Because woo-woo exists.

• Boy, am I glad I don't work at Jimmy John's anymore. I can't imagine what hell the employees are dealing with when they tell people they can't have sprouts.

Because woo-woo exists.
    And doesn't it change the flavor?