This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fashionable Canes

RymRym
edited March 2012 in Everything Else
Where would you dapper gentlemen suggest I acquire Internetly a fashionable walking cane?

Amazon's offerings disappoint, and I haven't yet committed enough to start shopping around the city.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    One with a hidden knife or wizard wand, however I'm sure PAX doesn't want you bringing weapons on site.

Oh, you were asking where and not what kind.

Yes, Etsy.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I would. And might I suggest a top hat to compliment said cane?
  • edited March 2012

If you really think this is a good decision, there is only one place to go.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Oooh, those look pretty snazzy. Otherwise, I'd recommend Etsy, though I've found some pretty nice stuff on Ebay. Make sure you get the right size stick, though (I generally measure from the floor to my wrist).
  • I'm not sure a cane would work so well. It's something about Rym's face that is more goofy than eccentric.
  • Costume shop?
  • edited March 2012
    Oooh, those look pretty snazzy.
    They should be. That shop has specialized in canes and umbrellas since the Victorian Era. The even sell a $750 replica of the cane Henri Toulouse used, which hide two double-measure glasses and a small flask in the body of the cane.
  • I don't look nearly as goofy in person as pictures of me on the Intertube would lead you to believe ;^)
  • Perchance I might suggest my good sir shall consider procuring his person a cane suitable for the concealment of the finest snuff?
  • Perchance I might suggest my good sir shall consider procuring his person a cane suitable for the concealment of the finest snuff sword?
  • edited March 2012
    While sword canes are awesome, they are also incredibly illegal in NYC, last time I checked.

EDIT: Though I do like a cane that has secret functionality. Hence, my spyglass-cane. This is beautiful, but also way too expensive.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited March 2012
    Where would you dapper gentlemen suggest I acquire Internetly a fashionable walking cane?

Amazon's offerings disappoint, and I haven't yet committed enough to start shopping around the city.
    I got Karl a cane with a D20 on top, but I'm not sure it's fashionable.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • While sword canes are awesome, they are also incredibly illegal in NYC, last time I checked.

EDIT: Though I do like a cane that has secret functionality. Hence, my spyglass-cane. This is beautiful, but also way too expensive.
    Lightsaber cane.
  • edited March 2012
    Rym, while you've always been a bit of a lovable twit, make sure you check with Emily when you're going to be carrying it out.

[The "taking your cane out in public" joke was too obvious.]
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • While sword canes are awesome, they are also incredibly illegal in NYC, last time I checked.

!!!

That is amazing.

I looked at it before I looked at the price. I thought to myself "hey, this is probably worth several hundred dollars or so to me, so I'll FUCK IT'S $9000?"

Granted, AUD, but still.

• My vote is for a pimp cane with a hidden dugout and a flask for your purple drank.
  • That's a lot of fucking money for that cane. At that point, I'd rather learn how to do metal casting and make my own.

To be fair, though, I want to learn metal casting anyhow. Make some fucking buttons!

Obviously, you need a walking stick topped with a dragon. Possibly holding a crystal orb.
  • I don't look nearly as goofy in person as pictures of me on the Intertube would lead you to believe ;^)
    Rym, I've seen you wear a kilt with your slip on toe shoes.
  • Hmm. Perhaps a walking stick with some arduino business going on inside? I'm trying to think of cool use-cases though. What about a walking stick where the head is a small screen, and it would notify you of emails/tweets/calls/etc (akin to the Apple watch concept, but perhaps even classier)?
  • Aw dude! Imagine a 'duino cane with a little GPS chip an accelerometer, and a Bluetooth shield. Tap it on the ground with a certain amount of force, and it uses your phone and Yelp's database of place locations to tweet, "I'm at [place] right now!"
  • edited March 2012
    Actually, in all seriousness, I feel like this might be the most logical choice for Rym. Just swap their dice for Zombie Dice or a mini D20 System set, and you have the ultimate geek cane.

For the Sherlock Holmes factor, get one of the drinking canes.
  • Canes? Do I need to post some "this is what you think you look like/this is what you actually look like" up in here?
  • Canes? Do I need to post some "this is what you think you look like/this is what you actually look like" up in here?
    Hence the Mal GIF I posted up top. But hey, if someone wants to adopt an anachronistic and goofy affection only truly suited to men more than twice their age or to particularly distinguished people with disabilities, who I am to stand in their way?

• I wore pocket watches right up until the cellphone era. I still wear pocket watches when I'm dressed properly.
  • I wear wrist watches, and the occasional pocket watch. A timepiece is far, far more acceptable in spite of its anachronism than a walking stick, Rym.
  • I wear wrist watches, and the occasional pocket watch. A timepiece is far, far more acceptable in spite of its anachronism than a walking stick, Rym.
    You'll actually see a fair number of canes in New York if you attend an evening show at Lincoln Center. Not a majority by any means, but a half-dozen or so is common.