This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070801 - Otakon 2007

RymRym
edited August 2007 in Conventions
Tonight on GeekNights, we bring you our Otakon 2007 Con Report. In the news, CMX picks up the Toki wo Kakeru Shōjo manga, and some fansubbers tried to create a fake media storm after Otakon.
Scott's Thing - Astro Boy

Rym's Thing - It's a Good Night for Flying

Comments

• edited August 2007
    What happened to the links? You said you posted link to everything you would give credit.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited August 2007
    I disagree with you guys on the review of the anime club summit. Granted it was not a panel of awesomeness, maybe not even "good", but it was decent. I've seen a lot worse anime club summits *cough* Katsucon *cough*, and I actually had some people come up to me after the panel and said that they liked the panel, and asked intelligent questions.

I think the main reason it did not succeed with win is because there were too many panelists. The anime club summit that Wyatt and I ran at a different convention was packed to the brim of the room and was a huge success with people staying way after the panel just to talk and converse and continue asking questions, that was only two panelists though.With too many panelists you have overstepping and it creates confusion. I think that any panel should at most have three people running the panel. That's just me though.

Still... I wish I had done a better job -_-
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • Hey! I'm one that said hi to Rym and Scott after the Bandai panel, and Rym had to go to the bathroom. That probably wasn't the best way for a first meeting, but oh well. Otakon was awesome, and now I have the blues because school starts later this month and Otakon is over.
  • edited August 2007
    Links to art, please. I am super interested in what those stickers are and the greek gods art. Hopefully someone else of the forum saw it and recognised the artist. this is the only thing I know of that loosely fits "greek gods" and "anime". Is that it?

Also: goddam, I live in Australia and even I have not seen Eminence. They've never played a show in my capital city as far as I know.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • edited August 2007
    God, I love these con reports! Otakon doesn't feel nearly as inaccessible to someone on the other side of the Atlantic when you get to hear about the stuff going on inside. It's hard for me to even perceive the shear magnitude of these cons you got going on over there. Starting out in Sweden and now having moved on to UK I'm already thinking the events are pretty big, but 20 000 visitors? *faints* That's like one third of the population in my town in Sweden.
    I'll make it one of my life goals to go to one of these cons before I die.
    Post edited by fuurin on
  • but 20 000 visitors? *faints*
    The San-Diego Comic-Con, which was last weekend, has about 150,000 visitors. It's the biggest nerd convention in the world.
  • The San-Diego Comic-Con, which was last weekend, has about 150,000 visitors. It's the biggest nerd convention in the world.
    150 000?? That's amazing... what kind of venue could hold that many people, even if they're not there all at once. It sounds rather scary actually... Imagine the smell!

Oh btw, I don't remember if you mentioned in the podcast, but did you happen to record any of your panels? I'm under the impression that they were quite teh awesome so I'm dying to hear them. Or were they reserved for specials maybe?
  • We recorded them mostly for archival purposes: Otakon wasn't set up to properly record, so the quality isn't optimal.  I'll probably process them as best I can and make some specials for the future.
    Katsu's Kendo panel was filmed in its entirety by James, and we expect to get that video to all of you in some form at some point.
  • I was the guy who swallowed the mic on the Podcaster's Roundtable. Sorry, my bad.
  • HAhahaha. awesome.
  • but 20 000 visitors? *faints*The San-Diego Comic-Con, which was last weekend, has about 150,000 visitors. It's the biggest nerd convention in the world.

I only want to see Watchmen shit... I'm beginning to really hate American comics.
  • I was the guy who swallowed the mic on the Podcaster's Roundtable. Sorry, my bad.
    You weren't the only one =P  It wasn't that big a deal, to be honest.  It was a really laid-back panel.
  • Yeah, it was tons of fun and--assuming I don't go crazy and pull the plug on Rangercast or something before next year--I look forward to doing it again next year.
  • Yeah, it was tons of fun and--assuming I don't go crazy and pull the plug on Rangercast or something before next year--I look forward to doing it again next year.
    IIRC Otakon doesn't like to have the same exact panels get repeated. That's why last year we did a "podcasting" panel and this year we did a "podcaster's roundtable". Next year we have to think up something different.
  • edited August 2007
    About the soldier that was parked out in front of the BCC. He was brought to Operations and we took his information and he was given a special thanks at Opening Ceremonies even though he wasn't there to hear it.

Peter S Beagle(the last unicorn guy) was busy all weekend. I was there to say hi to him on Friday morning and got my copy of his book signed. He was busy the whole time.

Ha, my first post so I am no longer a lurker.
    Post edited by j-train1 on
  • He was brought to Operations and we took his information and he was given a special thanks at Opening Ceremonies
    I'm glad to hear it.
  • What does "I totally wanted to go Lando Calrissian on her!" mean and can we get it on a t-shirt?
  • What does "I totally wanted to go Lando Calrissian on her!" mean and can we get it on a t-shirt?
    Someone hasn't seen Chasing Amy it seems.
    Someone hasn't seen Chasing Amy it seems.
    OK . . . so it's been a while. I found a quote about it on teh google. Thanks.
  • You guys say "suffice to say" way too often. :)

I've taken some notes and will be glad to talk with you guys about your comments. Interested? (You know how to reach me.)
  • Suffice to say...
  • The San-Diego Comic-Con, which was last weekend, has about 150,000 visitors. It's the biggest nerd convention in the world.
    150 000?? That's amazing... what kind of venue could hold that many people, even if they're not there all at once. It sounds rather scary actually... Imagine the smell!
    I think the official number for this year was closer to 125k. Spiel in Essen, Germany comes in at ~170k each year. Biggest game convention in the world.
  • Keep in mind that *most* conventions and trade shows use "turnstile" counting (each person is counted once per day), whereas most anime cons use "distinct individual" counting. Comiccon is 4 days, so divide the big number by four to get average daily attendance -- probably with the big spike on Saturday. An average day at ComicCon would feel, I imagine, like the busiest day at Otakon or Anime Expo.

Otakon's numbers were about 22 -23 thousand, pretty much all of whom were there on Saturday, most of whom were there for at least part of Friday, and about half of them for Sunday. Expo has about 40k, but they do more day-pass business than we do and are focused more on the exhibit halls. I'd guess that they had about 30,000 on their busiest day this past year (based on my memory of their numbers breakdown from 2006). It's harder to estimate our turnstile numbers because we don't do day passes, but it's easier to know how many actual people attend for at least part of the con.
  • For my first con ever, Otakon was pretty enjoyable. Friday was definitely the funnest day for me, finally being able to see the sheer magnitude of the dealers room and artists ally was overwhelming. The panels were generally good... there really weren't many I was interested in though. There were times where I got a little bored, due to the fact that there were no panels to see, but I was easily able to amuse myself in pictochat. I was always greeted by "s0 1 h3rd u liek mudk1ps?" which was rather funny. ^__^

Cosplaying was fun for me. I was asked for pictures quite a lot, but it's nice to see that people appreciate your cosplay. To put it simply, it was nice to feel loved. Next year I'm debating who I want to cosplay as... I was thinking of making a giant kirby costume, but that would be quite a challenge. A chocobo might be fun too.

I was kind of flustered talking to Scrym at their table in the artist ally, I kind of get a little nervous meeting people. So, I apologize for that. Letseatcake and I had an interesting (if not amusing) time trying to talk to you after you came out of the Bandai panel. I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go.

I have to say the most pwnful thing I got at the dealers room would have to be my Totoro bag. I didn't get much artwork, only a few pictures that really stood out to me. I was hoping to find some good fan manga in the ally, but the lack thereof was rather surprising. All I really saw was fan art.
  • First off, I'm surprised to see you here, Aresef, small world. (You may know me as Frylock-45 or Saba at another forum)
    Second: Speaking of the faux arrest, I attended the Artist's Copyright panel at Anime Boston 2007, and they ended it with all the panelists being chased around the room, handcuffed, and dragged out of the room. Evidence? A picture I took and gave to the author of The Devil's Panties, fourth one down.
    Third: I should attend Otakon one of these days.
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah yeah go ahead and gloat about your superior recording of the panel T_T

Mike from R5 Central here, t'was fun meeting you guys finally..even if we didn't talk that much. It was my first year at Otakon and seeing everybody finally made it all the more worthwhile.

Although I must say damn you for finding a Galaxy Express poster! I couldn't find one to save my life (although I can't complain as I got the Roman Album for the GE999 movie).

Anywho, feel free to check out our Otakon Report which is finally all up now. Take care!
    Post edited by Kimiden on
  • edited August 2007
    omegafinal: Yep, I'm RitoRevolto at various other places. I get around.

My Rangercast Otakon coverage part 1 (Thursday and Friday) has been up for quite some time now, part 2 (Saturday and Sunday) might be up...hmm...eventually. Tonight or tomorrow sound good to me. I'm lazy. Or busy. Take your pick
    Post edited by aresef on