This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Play

edited March 2012 in Technology
Today marks the launch of Google Play. With music, movies, books, and apps all at your fingertips, Google Play unifies your entertainment purchasing experience in one revolutionary new store.

Or does it?

Google Market has had all of these features for some time now, so this rebranding of the their already existing system doesn't seem to be bringing much more to the table than a new name and logo. But maybe this facelift is just what the search giant needs to bolster the level of consumer awareness of the availability of these services, says CNET. Adam Flanders, a senior vice president at Glu Mobile, certainly thinks so.
"There's potential for different types of marketing programs,recommendations based on purchase history. There's definitely some features that will aid in the discovery of our games."
Making an effort for this launch more than just a press release, in addition to showcasing the launch at SXSW this coming weekend, Google is taking a page from Valve's playbook and having what they call "7 Days to Play". Each day for the next week, they will be offering a different albums, books, video rentals, and Android apps at a discounted price.

What does this mean for the end-user experience on Android devices? Well, a few changes in names, mostly.
    The Android Market will become "Play Store."
    Google Music will become "Play Music."
    Google Movies will become "Play Movies."
    eBookstore will become "Play Books."
For tech savvy users who are familiar with the ins and outs of the android market, the change is minimal, but maybe the big to-do around this small change will be just what some people need to notice these other stores previously under the Google Market umbrella. I'm sure Google hopes so.
Post edited by Victor Frost on

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Play is just a rebranding of existing services to make their naming make a little more sense. When Apple does things like this, it's usually relatively meaningful - They renamed the company from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc because of the iPod and iPhone. They renamed iPhone OS to iOS because of the iPod Touch and iPad.

Is the rebranding of Google Play just as meaningful? We'll see, I suppose.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Play is just a rebranding of existing services to make their naming make a little more sense. When Apple does things like this, it's usually relatively meaningful - They renamed the company from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc because of the iPod and iPhone. They renamed iPhone OS to iOS because of the iPod Touch and iPad.

Is the rebranding of Google Play just as meaningful? We'll see, I suppose.
    Maybe they're bringing the android movie rental service to desktop?
  • Google play would be great if I could access google music and google movies in my country with out screwing around with proxys.
  • It would also be awesome if when I attempt to upload music that it recognizes the MP3 tags I place in the file.