This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tribes: Ascend

Comments

• And turrets need to be more powerful. I have never felt the least bit threatened by a base turret, and the only time I have ever been hit (but not killed) it was because I stopped to adjust my mic.
  • Yeah, the base turrets have a hard time being a threat, unless you run at them straight and slow, or close to - the mini-turrets are actually more useful. Though, If you get enough points for a tactical or orbital strike, you can usually wipe out the mini-turrets that inevitably end up being dumped by the dozens around the flag, but that's only an issue if either your team isn't terribly competent, or at the least, they have a good enough defense, and the generators are not kept down.

The new Map, Temple Ruins, has overhead protection. Don't help as much as it should, as grey showed me, it just makes a great setup for a flag run.
  • I'm running into a problem where a single enemy heavy will be able to take down and camp our generator. I'm not sure if it's a gameplay problem or a team-communication problem.
  • Most certainly a team-communication problem. While a single heavy in the base is a problem as long as you have guys on D he shouldn't be able to do too much.
  • edited March 2012
    most of them the flag is in the middle of a large, flat platform at ground level
    There's only one map where that is the case. Drydock. Every other map that I know has the flag on a much smaller platform, often one story up. On Drydock it's quite easy to drop down some deployables because there's only 1 good route for fast flag capping there.

As for the base turrets, they're not there to kill you. Players are the ones that should be killing you. The turrets should keep heavies/vehicles from just walking into the base without a care and punish you for being a moron. Not to murder you constantly.

Though I'd love to see them implement the ability to exchange the turrets for others like in Tribes 2. Then again, I want more mini turrets/mini sensors like in Tribes 2. And more freedom because fuck the current business model.

EDIT: Adding overhead cover to the flag would only change the angle of approach for flag runners, which means it's useless. Even more so if you take into account that said overhead protection protects said flag capper form your deployables if they overshoot.
    I'm not sure if it's a gameplay problem or a team-communication problem.
    Team-communication problem/skill gap/bullshit business model.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Team-communication problem/skill gap/bullshit business model.
    That's the problem I have with the game. That. Otherwise, it's very fun.
  • To add to nine's point, there is two maps with the flag at ground level, two with it one story off the ground, one with it on a tower and one with it on a ship, both significantly raised off the ground.
  • Hey guys, I just started playing Ascend recently. Feel free to add me, PuntRocket, if you'd like to.

I feel that the skiing skill-gap is pretty huge just starting out. I'm more use to traditional guns and grounded combat in my FPSs.
  • edited March 2012
    I feel that the skiing skill-gap is pretty huge just starting out. I'm more use to traditional guns and grounded combat in my FPSs.
    WELCOME TO TRIBS: ABSCOND. Skiing is hard as fuck. Especially if you wanna go properly fast... like yours truly going at about Mach 2.5. Grenade/Spinfusor/otherexplosiveshit jumps are a good way to start going faster.

EDIT: Before any idiot calls me out.
  • I feel that the skiing skill-gap is pretty huge just starting out. I'm more use to traditional guns and grounded combat in my FPSs.
    WELCOME TO TRIBS: ABSCOND.
    I'm glad I've got somebody else saying that name.

• The entire Breakfast Club uses it. You would know this if you PICKED UP THE DAMNED PHONE ONCE IN A WHILE.
  • I really need to get better at maintaining speed while changing direction. Mostly I just ski from one giant hill to another, stop, and turn around. I imagine this is the worst way to do things...
  • I may be biased, given that Drydock seems to be the only map I ever play on. But even on Katabatic ( how dare they try to make that comparison), where the flag is elevated and relatively easy to fortify, lone pathfinders can still cap with the greatest of ease. It may just be a factor of my lacking the proper class to effectively defend the flag, but it seems far too easy to cap.
  • I may be biased, given that Drydock seems to be the only map I ever play on. But even on Katabatic ( how dare they try to make that comparison), where the flag is elevated and relatively easy to fortify, lone pathfinders can still cap with the greatest of ease. It may just be a factor of my lacking the proper class to effectively defend the flag, but it seems far too easy to cap.
    No no, that's not so much the game, as the fact that 3/4 of the people playing the game are really fucking hopeless at tribes. Sure, you're Playing Tribs, but they're playing Call of Duty: Ascend. To them, teamwork is what everyone else is meant to be doing, and they are the super awesome elite 420 sealbros who kill everything and win the game for everyone.

The usefulness of this tactic is not zero, however - somewhere amongst their bitching to defend the flag(when they never do), repair things(which they never do), guard the generator(which they never do), take out the other team's generator(Yeah, never), cap flags(usually after the other team has just capped, and natch, they are not capping OR chasing) - well, it sometimes motivates someone else to do it just to shut them up.

Other than that questionable level of utility? Tits on a bull.
  • The entire Breakfast Club uses it. You would know this if you PICKED UP THE DAMNED PHONE ONCE IN A WHILE.
    Blame the rhino virus. My voice is killing me right now.
  • edited March 2012
    I may be biased, given that Drydock seems to be the only map I ever play on. But even on Katabatic (how dare they try to make that comparison), where the flag is elevated and relatively easy to fortify, lone pathfinders can still cap with the greatest of ease. It may just be a factor of my lacking the proper class to effectively defend the flag, but it seems far too easy to cap.
    People are retards. Also shit business model means you'll have to suffer through people being retards and options being shamefully limited.

Also, as Churba mentioned, retards think CTF == TDM, dropping all objectives to get a kill, BECAUSE THAT MATTERS, RIGHT? TOTALLY. It also takes a fucking age before someone listens to you and puts a fucking Jammer in/near the gen room so fucking infiltrators and raiders can't just walk past the mini turrets (once said jammer is down though, retard infiltrators keep running headfirst into the mini turret).

It's a team game for a reason. Those dirty Sandrakers could have thrice the number of kills that the glorious Blood Eagles have, but if they ain't capping, they ain't winning.
  • So, the release date was announced, April 12th 2012.

But that doesn't really matter. Open beta is basically release. What does matter is the awesome trailer they released.

• What's that he's doing with his legs?
  • BWAHAHAHAHA. Dat Parody. Dat fucking Llama grab.
    But that doesn't really matter. Open beta is basically release.
    Get out of here you idiot. There's actually still a shitton of crap they need to deal with. Open Beta here means stress-testing the servers and network code.
  • Get out of here you idiot. There's actually still a shitton of crap they need to deal with. Open Beta here means stress-testing the servers and network code.
    I meant in terms of accessibility, not from a technical standpoint.
  • It just always seems to be the OTHER team that has their shit together and have a moderate level of cooperation. At the very least they come to destroy the generator in pairs. But that's the problem with every online game. If two people out of the whole team are cooperating and communicating, they will dominate the match.
  • Coordinated tribes is something I havn't ever really experienced. It was always my dream, but I've never really experienced something like an actual coordinated assault on an indoor base. The closest I've gotten is a fully loaded dropship drop... and as soon as everyone got out it turned to total chaos.
  • edited March 2012
    I meant in terms of accessibility, not from a technical standpoint.
    Dear god, if "release" means little more than "accessible" to you then you're part of the problem where games are released before they are actually ready and working properly in favour of shipping/released on a certain date.
    It just always seems to be the OTHER team that has their shit together and have a moderate level of cooperation. At the very least they come to destroy the generator in pairs. But that's the problem with every online game. If two people out of the whole team are cooperating and communicating, they will dominate the match.
    The only reason why they seem to have a level of cooperation when assaulting your generator is because EVERY PAY-2-WIN ASSHOLE RESORTS TO EASY CREDITS FARMING BY GOING INVISIBLE AND BLOWING UP THE GENERATOR WHILE NOBODY ON THE ENEMY TEAM LISTENS TO THEIR ENGINEER TRYING TO KEEP THE BASE RUNNING WHEN HE ASKS FOR ONE SINGLE FUCKING JAMMER TO BE PUT DOWN. The number of matches I've lost just because the fucking sentinel is a static environmental object after he has placed his claymore and jammer 2 feet away from where he spawned is ridiculous. In the same vein, the two times one of those dicks listened after yelling for a fucking jammer the game was won from being behind in caps.

Infiltrators, raiders and brutes/juggernauts rushing the enemy genroom at map start is the default low-rank tactic because that's where their gold gives them the largest advantage.

Also the retardation of some teams. 6 pathfinders, seriously? IGNORING the fact that there's also a bunch of infiltrators on the team, 6 pathfinders is retarded, especially when all they do is fly over the empty enemy flagstand to feed the mini turrets placed around. Retards are retards.
    Coordinated tribes is something I havn't ever really experienced. It was always my dream, but I've never really experienced something like an actual coordinated assault on an indoor base. The closest I've gotten is a fully loaded dropship drop... and as soon as everyone got out it turned to total chaos.
    Go watch the 4chan vs. reddit games. There's an Hi-Rez employee who's job it is to manage e-sports and thus exhibition matches are done. They can be very interesting.

EDIT: Now that the ranting's over, how 'bout some Tribs: Abscond.
    Why, what a jolly-good idea. But such is to be expected from a glorious godlike being such as me, ehcerpA.
  • Interesting news: apparently Tribes: Ascend is releasing highly customizable servers. I haven't been able to watch the video, but it seems to boil down to "don't like the way a class or weapon or call-in or the progression works? Turn it off!"
  • So somebody tell me if this game is good or crap. I'm already majorly skeptical because of the free to play nature, but I've been kicking myself for ages, having never gotten into Tribes when it was big. Should I actually play this one?
  • So somebody tell me if this game is good or crap. I'm already majorly skeptical because of the free to play nature, but I've been kicking myself for ages, having never gotten into Tribes when it was big. Should I actually play this one?
    From what I've played, it's as real Tribes as you are going to get nowadays. But the F2P ruins it as an actual competitive FPS. If you want to experience Tribes, play it for free to check it out. If you want to find an FPS to be your new regular game, play NS2.

From what I've played, it's as real Tribes as you are going to get nowadays. But the F2P ruins it as an actual competitive FPS. If you want to experience Tribes, play it for free to check it out. If you want to find an FPS to be your new regular game, play NS2.
    This is the sort of answer I was looking for. Life is a bit busy right now so I don't have time for a regular go-to FPS. If I were to jump into NS2 I'd want to spend some real time and be good at it. If it's a pretty good approximation of Tribes (tainted by F2P), then I'm cool with just jumping in for a few nights here and there, dicking around to get the experience, and closing that chapter.

• I grabbed it a few days ago, and its been pretty fun so far. I haven't played many FPS' in my life (TF2? Deus Ex: HR? A little bit of Halo 2? The original Medal of Honor in 1999?), so I was worried it'd be awful for me, but such was not the case.

I spent 20 minutes practicing skiing, hopped on the Soldier, and did just fine. Not spectacularly, but fine. I've had a few games where I did pitifully and got 1-2 kills. I've also had a game where I got 4 flag caps and dozens of kills. And a few games that actually were tied up the whole time and went down to the nail-biting wire right to the very end of the match timer.

My only complaint is that buying the Spinfusor (which, I've been told, is the iconic Tribes weapon) took roughly a million billion billion XP.

(Also, obviously, micro-transaction and stateful level-up bullshit is terrible and rakes at my soul constantly, and the game would be totally better without either, but what're you gonna do? Skiing is motherfucking awesome!)
  • Am I the only one that has frame rate issues with this game? I have a 1gb Nvidia GTX 560m, and it's playing really slowly for some reason.
  • Am I the only one that has frame rate issues with this game? I have a 1gb Nvidia GTX 560m, and it's playing really slowly for some reason.
    That's really odd; I have a 1GB GTX 460 and I can play it fine. Can you play other similarly intensive games without issues? I'm assuming you're on a laptop, since it's a 560m, right? Maybe you've got some overheating issues going on?