This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

edited February 2016 in Everything Else
I've always liked metal, but I don't know (m)any metal bands, so I don't listen to much metal.

I know for a fact we have some metal fans here. Tell me exactly what I should listen to.
Post edited by Andrew on

Comments

• Geeks should start with Machinae Supremacy. And of course, the classics, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica (old Metallica), Pantera, etc. are mandatory.
  • Metal for n00bs:

All that Remains
    Killswitch Engage
    36 Crazy Fists
    BlessTheFall (kinda)
    soilwork
    flyleaf
    40 below summer
    Deftones
    God forbid
    Chevelle

Won't be too harsh on your ears, once you like this, you can move on to Lamb of God, Kittie, Pantera, Sepultura, Soulfly, slipknot, mudvayne(more rock than metal), otep, etc.
  • edited August 2007
    Metal for n00bs:

All that Remains
    Killswitch Engage
    36 Crazy Fists
    BlessTheFall (kinda)
    soilwork
    flyleaf
    40 below summer
    Deftones
    God forbid
    Chevelle

Won't be too harsh on your ears, once you like this, you can move on to Lamb of God, Kittie, Pantera, Sepultura, Soulfly, slipknot, mudvayne(more rock than metal), otep, etc.
    I'm sorry, I thought you were going to name metal bands. Soilwork is alright, and God Forbid ain't bad. LoG, Pantera, Sepultura, and Soulfly are also good choices. The rest, not so much.

If you want to get into metal, you should try to figure out what it is, in particular, that attracts you to it, and go from there. Machinae Supremacy is a good way to cut your teeth. I would also reccomend checking out Apocalyptica, particularly their non-cover stuff; they're an amazing band.

Follow Scott's advice and find what you like in the old stuff; you should be listening to those classic awesome bands anyway. From there, you can branch out and find bands that go in new directions. A few of the bands I listen to:

Progenitor Extreme Metal Bands
    Death
    Mayhem
    Burzum
    Mercyful Fate
    Venom
    Celtic Frost
    -this stuff is from the early/mid-80's and is the origin of modern black and death metal, and associated sub-genres

Death Metal/Progressive Death Metal/Melodic Death Metal/Blackened Death Metal/Melodic Progressive Blackened Deathgrindcore
    Cannibal Corpse
    Nile
    Deicide
    Bolt Thrower
    Gojira
    Decapitated
    Cattle Decapitation
    Necrophagist
    Amon Amarth (more melo-death/Viking death)
    Children of Bodom (progressive melo-death)
    Behemoth (also had a black/death phase, and started off as black metal)
    Arsis
    The Faceless
    Arch Enemy
    Therion (first two albums)
    In Flames
    Dethklok
    Goatwhore
    Vader
    Skinless
    Lamb of God
    Shadows Fall (progressive death metal)
    Mastodon (sludge metal)
    Dark Tranquility

Classic Thrash
    old Metallica
    old Megadeth
    SLAYER!
    Anthrax
    -These are The Big Four of 80's metal; if you like metal, listen to these guys. If you really like Slayer, you may be ready to dip into the more extreme stuff (like the death metal)

Progressive Metal/Power Metal/Symphonic Power Metal/Symphonic Metal
    Jag Panzer
    Kiuas
    Blind Guardian
    Hammerfall
    Gamma Ray
    Helloween
    Kamelot
    Rhapsody (of Fire)
    Conception
    Dream Theater
    Symphony X
    Dragonforce
    Stratovarius
    Savatage (really more progressive rock, but fuck you, I like 'em)
    Nevermore
    Iced Earth
    Therion (after their first two albums)
    Nightwish (with Tarja)
    Epica
    Manowar (more classic metal, but you should really listen to them)
    Opeth
    Pain of Salvation (metal-ish, more prog than anything else)

Black Metal/Gothic Metal/Doom Metal
    Dimmu Borgir
    Satyricon
    Cradle of Filth
    old Behemoth (as mentioned above)
    Einherjer (Viking Black metal)
    Type O Negative
    Lacuna Coil
    The Sword (very Black Sabbath-esque; a good place to get started)

The Odd Ones
    Strapping Young Lad (and other Devin Townsend projects) - makes music that is difficult to classify; mostly industrial/death/thrash/progressive
    Finntroll - folk metal, with a black metal streak
    Korpiklaani - straight out folk metal
    Buckethead - not strictly speaking a metal guy necessarily, but you should check him out
    Fantomas - I put this here because Rym and Scott hate them fiercely; weird experimental death metal fronted by Mike Patton - it's interesting, but I don't know if I like it or not

I'll edit in more as I remember them, but this is a good start. If you could post what metal bands you've heard so far, that'd be a great help. You can find videos of a lot of these folks on teh Youtubes.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • As I stated, its metal for n00bs, I don't think people starting with metal should listen to the hard stuff, specially stupid stuff like Cannibal Corpse or Decide or most of the heavy, gore, death, stupid lyrics. I stick by what I chose, Nu-Metal is the way to go, most of it is some kind of Metal/Rock fusion, so it gives him a chance to get used to the fast riffs and drums, the screaming and all that jazz. Also, notice I didn't include anything with super explicit lyrics, as most people might be offended by them and create a prejudice that all metal is like that. After that, then its all personal taste, stick with what you like, find the sub-genre they fall into and look for other bands on the same.

And yes, I'll give you Apocalyptica, they are indeed amazing.
  • edited August 2007
    Whaleshark, you missed Immortal, atheist and Deathspell Omega on the black metal scene.
    You forgot kreator, Morbid Angel and Nile on the death metal front.

Doom metal is different from black metal and more resembling of death metal but it has slower tempos.

Not to mention you forgot nu-metal *shiver* being headline with bands such as Korn and slipknot.
    You also forgot metalcore, but that should die in a fire.

Dream theater is not metal, they are progressive rock, if you listen to masterpieces like octavarium and still label them metal you should die in a fire.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • The wired:

Nile was the second band I mentioned in the death metal section. Morbid Angel was an oversight, and I don't really listen to Kreator.

I didn't mention Immortal, Atheist, or Deathspell because they can all die in a fire; I also left out Emperor, another huge black metal band. I hate most black metal, so I don't make a lot of reccomendations on it.

I lumped them into the categories I did because that's how they came to mind when I was typing this up. I would put the doom metal bands separate from everything else, but screw it, they are where they are. Also, a lot of doom metal doesn't necessarily resemble death metal; a lot of it is an older metal style reminscent of Sabbath.

I very specifically left out nu metal and metalcore because, yes, those genres can die in a fire.

And, very technically, I would say that Dream Theater has some very metal elements, particularly the Train of Thought album. I consider Pink Floyd or Genesis to be more progressive rock; DT is progressive hard rock/heavy metal.

Also, the Images and Words album is a masterpiece. Octavarium was good, but it wasn't quite up to the level of their first two albums.

MrRoboto:

Fair enough. When someone asks me about metal, though, I like to give a complete picture, excluding the crap (metalcore or nu metal). I generally don't think about whether or not a particular lyric is offensive; I make the (fairly safe) assumption that if you're asking about metal and have any idea about the genre at all, you should be prepared to expect a certain amount of shock and such.

And it really does need to repeated: listen to Apocalyptica. New album on September 17th! Also, Kamelot and Dream Theater both have new albums. Get 'em.
  • edited August 2007
    Like TheWhaleShark said, I probably should have mentioned what metal I already am experienced with.

I already regularly listen to Machinae Supremacy, I like Black Sabbath, I wasn't fond of Iron Maiden, what I've heard of Slipknot I hated, and I've heard two Dethklok songs and liked them both. I also am fond of System of a Down for the awesome vocalist, but I guess they're a little more nu-metal and can therefore "die in a fire".

And thanks, Pete. I had my fingers crossed for an awesome post like that from you. And "Melodic Progressive Blackened Deathgrindcore" is the best name for a sub-sub-sub-sub-genre EVER.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2007
    Hm. Not fond of Maiden? What didn't you like about them? Your tastes are somewhat all over the place, so I'm having trouble pinning down what it is you like the most; it seems like you could go pretty much anywhere.

If you like awesome vocalists, you should check out Kamelot; Roy Kahn's voice is like pure sex played over heavy metal. It's orgasmic.

Hating Slipknot is good; it means you have taste. It's also OK to like SoaD, because they have black/progressive influences.

And the long sub-sub-genre name was purely a joke, but I'm sure there's a band out there with a similarly stupid sub-genre name. I'm reminded of Cephalic Carnage who call themselves "Rocky Mountain Hydro-Grind," whatever the fuck that means.

I could yell for days about how utterly asinine this sub-sub-sub-genre bullshit is, but I need my vocal cords.

EDIT: I read over my post again, and holy shit, I listen to a lot of metal. The bands I listed are all bands that I actively listen to; there are about 100 other metal bands that I've merely heard.

So much for claiming I have diverse musical tastes. :p
  • edited August 2007
    Hm. Not fond of Maiden? What didn't you like about them? Your tastes are somewhat all over the place, so I'm having trouble pinning down what it is you like the most; it seems like you could go pretty much anywhere.
    I should probably give IM another shot. It's been over a year since I listened to them, perhaps my tastes have changed.

I'll also pick a few semi-familiar names from your list plus Kamelot, Apokalypta, and Metallica and report back. Thanks again! This'll keep me busy for a while...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2007
    WIP, you're my goddamn hero right now.

EDIT: Sail: I'm a huge Metallica fanboy, so if you're not familiar with the band, I feel the need to give you fair warning. Pretty much every Metallica album sounds different from every other album, so you'll run into some things you'll absolutely love and some things you'll absolutely hate. Give it all a listen before you make up your mind.

I'll tell you straight out that the "...And Justice For All" album is quite possibly the greatest collection of heavy metal music in existence, second only to Master of Puppets, in my opinion. Some people put Puppets ahead of Justice, but they're wrong. :p
  • edited August 2007
    One of the greatest soloists ever to grace rock.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Metallica (old Metallica)

Pre-Black Album. When Scott says old, YOU FUCKING LISTEN TO HIM.

Cannibal Corpse

NOT FOR NOOBS - OHMUHGAWD. Don't start with this...

Tool is GREAT. Sabbath is the shizzle, Pantera is my favorite though, without a doubt. If you like awesome vocalists, you should check out Kamelot;

Hating Slipknot is good; it means you have tasteI find this contradiction hilarious. Kamelot might not be screamy like Corey, but god dammit, they are GOD AWFUL.
    I like Slipknot, but they take a bit of getting used to. Excellent music, vocals are iffy.
  • Whoa there Mitchy. Any single member of Kamelot has more musical talent than all of Slipknot combined. Well, OK, Joey Jordison is an awesome drummer, but that's all they've got. Kamelot is extremely talented, extremely well-written (though lyrics can use some help sometimes), and Roy Khan kicks ass on the vox.

I'm not going to say that you should only listen to pre-Black Metallica, because I find things I like in all their albums. Give it all a listen, because it all has something going on. The Black Album itself has some excellent music, Load/ReLoad have some very interesting songs on them, and Garage Inc. is just a good album all-around.

You can probably skip St. Anger, though. It's not their best; the idea intrigued me, and I can hear elements that I like, but the whole album is difficult.
  • Are we talking about live vocals or CD vocals? If you mean CD vocals then it's impossible to tell, studios are amazing at editing these days. Listen to Slipknot live and you'll feel bad you listened to them before. Also Tool and Dream Theater's drummer > Joey Jordison.
  • Master of Puppets is better than Justice for All. It is also the best Metallica album out there. Not that I listen to Metallica anymore...

I prefer bands like Iron Maiden for my metal music.
  • Kamelot is extremely talented, extremely well-written

Maybe so, but they don't utilize their talent... :(
  • Kamelot is extremely talented, extremely well-written

Maybe so, but they don't utilize their talent... :(

In what way, Mitchy? What about them don't you like?
  • edited August 2007
    Wow, it seems I should go ahead and die in a fire. I do like Metalcore and Nu-Metal, but I guess it's because I'm not a metal head (not that theres something bad about that). I do like slipknot: Joey IS a monster.

I didn't mention Tool earlier because it's not metal (or at least I don't think it is), but anything Maynard is gold.  I'd say the same thing about Reznor, but the last NIN album sucked balls.

TheWhaleShark: have you heard OTEP?  If you haven't, and you don't mind a chick doing vocals, give it a try.

Well, that was my point of view, and I probably won't post any more suggestions, as it seems I'm a weird breed here.  So, if you'll excuse me, I'll go look for a can of kerosene and my zippo.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Man, I listened to a lot of metal last night. By the time I went to bed, I had a massive headache. But in a good way.

Last.fm was having teh issues, so I used Pandora for my music sampling instead. Turns out I didn't have to pick bands at random, because many, if not most, of the "similar artists" also appeared on your list. I also put off listening to Metallica for now because of your recommendation. So let's get started...

Kamelot I thought was pretty good. I listened to four or so tracks from them and was especially fond of the song "Karma"(Or so say my notes. I do not remember what this song sounded like at all).

Rhapsody of Fire was awesome. The high fantasy elements were awesome, the music was awesome, everything about it was awesome. I'm definitely buying that album.

Dragonforce struck me as a less good Machinae Supremacy, I even thought I could hear the SID machine.

I thought Symphony X was pretty good.

I'm so glad I gave Iron Maiden another shot. They blew my mind.

I also really, really liked Hammerfall. I'm not sure exactly what it was about them, but it gave me a really good feeling.

I went for Slayer next. At first, I was a little put off. It sounded inverted compared to everything else I had heard up to this point. But it soon grew on me, as I fell into the rhythm and realized how much they had earned those soundbytes. I felt like I should have been playing it louder, but all my volumes were maxed out. I really, really liked Slayer.

Apocalyptica really impressed me. They've got amazing all-around musical talent.

The only band that appeared on your list that I listened to that I didn't really like was In Flames. But that's totally ok, because 7/8 is pretty damn good. You really know your shit when it comes to metal, TheWhaleShark.
  • Sail: The stuff I reccomended was all over the place, ranging from some easier-to-listen-to stuff down to the darkest, most brutal metal that I know of. I didn't expect you to like all of it.

If you really liked Rhapsody of Fire, listen to Blind Guardian and more Kamelot. Also check out Gamma Ray and more Hammerfall. There are a crap ton of fantasy-themed metal bands. If you also like Iron Maiden a bunch, try Jag Panzer too. Also check out Nightwish and Epica. And if you want to go really crazy, try Luca Turilli and Dionysus.

If you liked Slayer, and you've liked a couple of Dethklok songs, you have potential to be a death metal fan. I'd reccomend trying Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Mastodon, and Gojira. See how you like those.

A note about Dragonforce: they're a speed metal band, straight out. There's no SID machine; the similar squealing you hear is either crazy keyboard or (more likely) crazy-ass guitar. Observe:

This video is made of epic lulz, by the way.

MrRoboto: Tool is, like, one of my favorite bands ever. I just generally don't lump them in with the rest of metal; they go a little all over the place. Good stuff. I've listened to OTEP, and I'm not really a fan. I like me some chick-fronted metal (Arch Enemy, Nightwish, and Epica), but they just didn't do it for me.
  • This video is made of epic lulz, by the way.
    While made of lulz, it totally rocked.
  • Metallica (old Metallica)
    If by "old Metallica", you mean "Pre-St. Anger", then I agree. Otherwise, "Dude! There's so much great stuff on all their albums (pre-St. Anger, of course)!"
    Black Sabbath is the most important band of metal.

WhaleShark, you forgot your Rammsteins and your Dir en greys. Industrial metal have some awesome, and Rammstein and DEG are full of it. You also omitted Trivium. They're worth about one-and-a-half cursory glances at least.

Sail, if you like teh prog rox, try Black Sabbath's album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
  • Trivium is alright, but not quite my thing. Rammstein, well, you should be listening to them anyhow.

What I've heard of Dir En Grey has been alright, but nothing really special. It feels unnecessary in my current music rotation. Generally, I'm not a fan of any Japanese music. I thought L'Arc-en-ciel, for example, was pretty average and not anything really special.
  • I'll be the first to admit I've not heard MUCH by Kamelot - a girl had her CD at work... I don't know I just found it painful... Bad tracks maybe, you guys are singing their praises, but I just don't care for what I heard...
  • This video is made of epic lulz, by the way.
    While made of lulz, it totally rocked.
    What's funnier is that that song is called 'Operation Ground and Pound!'.
  • Metal for n00bs:

All that Remains
    Killswitch Engage
    36 Crazy Fists
    BlessTheFall (kinda)
    soilwork
    flyleaf
    40 below summer
    Deftones
    God forbid
    Chevelle

I'm sorry, I thought you were going to name metal bands. Soilwork is alright, and God Forbid ain't bad. LoG, Pantera, Sepultura, and Soulfly are also good choices. The rest, not so much.

If you want to get into metal, you should try to figure out what it is, in particular, that attracts you to it, and go from there. Machinae Supremacy is a good way to cut your teeth. I would also reccomend checking out Apocalyptica, particularly their non-cover stuff; they're an amazing band.

Follow Scott's advice and find what you like in the old stuff; you should be listening to those classic awesome bands anyway. From there, you can branch out and find bands that go in new directions. A few of the bands I listen to:

Progenitor Extreme Metal Bands
    Death
    Mayhem
    Burzum
    Mercyful Fate
    Venom
    Celtic Frost
    -this stuff is from the early/mid-80's and is the origin of modern black and death metal, and associated sub-genres

Death Metal/Progressive Death Metal/Melodic Death Metal/Blackened Death Metal/Melodic Progressive Blackened Deathgrindcore
    Cannibal Corpse
    Nile
    Deicide
    Bolt Thrower
    Gojira
    Decapitated
    Cattle Decapitation
    Necrophagist
    Amon Amarth (more melo-death/Viking death)
    Children of Bodom (progressive melo-death)
    Behemoth (also had a black/death phase, and started off as black metal)
    Arsis
    The Faceless
    Arch Enemy
    Therion (first two albums)
    In Flames
    Dethklok
    Goatwhore
    Vader
    Skinless
    Lamb of God
    Shadows Fall (progressive death metal)
    Mastodon (sludge metal)
    Dark Tranquility

Classic Thrash
    old Metallica
    old Megadeth
    SLAYER!
    Anthrax
    -These are The Big Four of 80's metal; if you like metal, listen to these guys. If you really like Slayer, you may be ready to dip into the more extreme stuff (like the death metal)

Progressive Metal/Power Metal/Symphonic Power Metal/Symphonic Metal
    Jag Panzer
    Kiuas
    Blind Guardian
    Hammerfall
    Gamma Ray
    Helloween
    Kamelot
    Rhapsody (of Fire)
    Conception
    Dream Theater
    Symphony X
    Dragonforce
    Stratovarius
    Savatage (really more progressive rock, but fuck you, I like 'em)
    Nevermore
    Iced Earth
    Therion (after their first two albums)
    Nightwish (with Tarja)
    Epica
    Manowar (more classic metal, but you should really listen to them)
    Opeth
    Pain of Salvation (metal-ish, more prog than anything else)

Black Metal/Gothic Metal/Doom Metal
    Dimmu Borgir
    Satyricon
    Cradle of Filth
    old Behemoth (as mentioned above)
    Einherjer (Viking Black metal)
    Type O Negative
    Lacuna Coil
    The Sword (very Black Sabbath-esque; a good place to get started)

The Odd Ones
    Strapping Young Lad (and other Devin Townsend projects) - makes music that is difficult to classify; mostly industrial/death/thrash/progressive
    Finntroll - folk metal, with a black metal streak
    Korpiklaani - straight out folk metal
    Buckethead - not strictly speaking a metal guy necessarily, but you should check him out
    Fantomas - I put this here because Rym and Scott hate them fiercely; weird experimental death metal fronted by Mike Patton - it's interesting, but I don't know if I like it or not

I'll edit in more as I remember them, but this is a good start. If you could post what metal bands you've heard so far, that'd be a great help. You can find videos of a lot of these folks on teh Youtubes.

Yea TheWhaleShark basically has it nailed down, all superb choices.
  • I think I might give Kamelot a real shot... WhaleShark and many others sing their praises, and Rym was excited for a concert in an older show...
    It can't hurt.
  • I purchased Kamelot's Ghost Opera and I thought it was pretty good, its worth checking out.
  • I see a serious lack of Gwar in this thread.