This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

Comments

• Wasteland 2 is Kicking. It's already met the bar and surpassed $1mil. If you wanted Fallout 3 to actually be an Third-Person RPG like the originals, this is your chance to get that.
    I wanted Fallout 3 to be an FPS, where do I go for that?
    I can hook you up with some mods that will blow your mind.
    Do tell.
    Well, unfortunately, the mod I used to make Fallout New Vegas awesome has no FO3 version, but I'll post it anyway.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=40040

This is Project Nevada. It allows you to customize your experience to be pretty much anything you want. You can entirely remove skill influence on damage, dynamically adjust the damage reduction of armour, headshot bonuses, change the way you interact with items, turn off parts of the game you don't like, make enemies harder. It adds sprinting, lets you turn off VATS, and adds a dynamic crosshair. If somebody can point me towards a FO3 version, that'd be awesome.

So, for you, you'd turn off damage influence, reduce your own health, increase your own movement speed, make those headshots real lethal, turn off VATS, and get rid of as much RPG stuff as you want. Bam, classy shooter gameplay.

Another player who is garbage at shooters could turn on the bullettime, ramp up the RPG elements, and up everybody's health, and make a real RPG out of it.

For me, I turned all the damages up, all the healths (for myself and enemies) to pretty much nothing, drastically reduced armour effects, and then I went and poked around a little more myself with the mod tools, making the spawn and awareness ranges of critters gigantic, leading to the sort of gameplay I like; simulation shooter fights of bouncing from cover to cover and fighting at 100m+.
    Brb, redownloading New Vegas...
  • Just launched a Kickstarter for an iOS game I'm working on with Caldwell Tanner of College Humor/Loldwell.com
    Congrats
    prof. Cat Mazing Machne
  • Holy shit. Nice! Congo-rats.
  • edited April 2012
    Looks like it's Leisure Suit Larry's turn next. Yay...?
    Post edited by Doctor Barber on
  • Looks like it's Leisure Suit Larry's turn next. Yay...?
    They tried a modern version...and it failed pretty badly.

• edited April 2012
    Looks like it's Leisure Suit Larry's turn next. Yay...?
    They tried a modern version...and it failed pretty badly.

They tried a modern version, but without Al Lowe's involvement. It was pretty much leisure suit Larry in name only - literally, even, it was meant to be his little nephew or something. He had nothing to do with Magna Cum Laude or Box Office Bust.

This one, however, they've got Al on board. And while Al didn't make the games alone, it was certainly Al's writing that made the games what they were - a point further proven by precisely how well the modern games did without him.

Since even the rewards on this one had me chuckling, I've got some hope for it.

Post edited by Churba on
  • You guys should give Ramshackle Glory your monies so they can print LP's of their first album.
  • Anybody here remember Mankoon? She and her boyfriend run Endless Fluff, and they are working on a new game! Already funded, but you should pledge anyway, cause they are nice and awesome and talented people!
  • Sweet, it looks like a hack-and-slash Maplestory.
  • I was browsing the recently launched Kickstarters today and came across PennyGems, seems like a way to create a nice set of generic board game tokens.

Basically they're decals that you attach to pennies to create tokens. Going to upgrade my game set.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/276266606/pennygems
  • Well I wanted to do a kickstarter to actually make a food delivery service by UAV but my DM informed me that you can't fly drones over a major city. (which I'm in)

I want a Predator regardless but fuck man...
  • Got really excited for a Kickstarter project today and then had the wind taken out of my sails. There's a "build your own MAME cabinet"-type project going that will send you the cut side-panels with the T-molding channel already sliced out. The price was very reasonable and it would eliminate the most complicated part of the job (one that would require me to borrow two different types of power saws to complete).

Unfortunately, the cabinets they are selling are only 4 feet tall! Boo to that. Go big or go home, I want the real thing. My dreams of a MAME cabinet will have to wait a while longer.
  • Got really excited for a Kickstarter project today and then had the wind taken out of my sails. There's a "build your own MAME cabinet"-type project going that will send you the cut side-panels with the T-molding channel already sliced out. The price was very reasonable and it would eliminate the most complicated part of the job (one that would require me to borrow two different types of power saws to complete).

Unfortunately, the cabinets they are selling are only 4 feet tall! Boo to that. Go big or go home, I want the real thing. My dreams of a MAME cabinet will have to wait a while longer.
    If you want the real thing, the price will not be reasonable.

If you want the real thing, the price will not be reasonable.
    Well I know the people who sell the legit "real thing" charge $2-3k which is out of my league. I don't need it to be 100% authentic, just looking for something that is a standard arcade cabinet size, and that can be had for $1,000 or less if you are prepared to do the bulk of the work.

The easiest way could just be to retrofit an old actual arcade cabinet. I got a Street Fighter 2 cabinet off of eBay for $250 back in the day.

• edited April 2012
    Mobile Frame Zero is a LEGO-based mecha game that looks pretty interesting. I met them at PAX, and their system looks exactly like what I've wanted since I was a kid (actual rules for LEGO mecha battles). I like that you can assemble custom mechs and add them to the system; it seems very open ended.

EDIT: Check out this hotness. It's a smart watch that actually has good battery life (e-ink display), and hooks up to both Android and iOS via bluetooth. Very interesting...
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • That hotness seems to be the kind of thing that you will fund and will never actually receive.
  • Possibly. I'm cautiously optimistic, since the company is pretty well known for making fancy watches. What really intrigues me is that e-ink display. It looked surprisingly responsive and ghost-free, so I hope it's legit.
  • Possibly. I'm cautiously optimistic, since the company is pretty well known for making fancy watches. What really intrigues me is that e-ink display. It looked surprisingly responsive and ghost-free, so I hope it's legit.
    I would actually order one right now, if it wasn't so big. Why are watches so big? Who has such gigantic arms?!
  • I backed Mobile Frame Zero the other day, because seriously, LEGO robot combat? Best thing ever.
  • Chris Cieslik of Asmadi Games has another Kickstarter for Phoenix Syndicate.

Looks promising. Also hexes. Yeah hexes. Also 2-5 players. Perfect for whenever Jeremy & I feel like gaming it up.
  • I refuse to kickstart any physical thing that doesn't already have manufacturable prototypes. Any project that doesn't is one step short of being "just an idea," and we all know how valuable those are.
  • I have a hard time kickstarting something that doesn't already have a lot of support behind it, either a bunch of people or some guy who made a lot of things in the past I've liked. So far I've backed Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and Starlight inception.
  • What do you consider a bunch of people? Or do you consider to back it when it's close to goal? If that's the case, seems a bit of a peer pressure sort of scenario.

I normally Kickstart things that are recommended by friends or word of mouth from other internet peoples.

I haven't searched through projects to look for stuff to back. I haven't had the time nor desire. Plus, I feel if I did, I would back a lot of them.

In regards to Phoenix Syndicate, I know Chris and have played his games. Jeremy and I like what we have played so far and have faith in the products that he creates.
  • I don't have any rule of Kickstarting. For a small amount of money, I will Kickstart anything I want to exist. If I'm Kickstarting something to actually get a copy of the thing itself, I'll only do it if I want the thing and I believe it has a high likelihood of coming into existence.

This is is a large part of why the OOtS Kickstarter was so successful. He has already published many books. What are the odds of him being able to produce these extra books? Almost 100%. If you pay, you will get the books.

Meanwhile the hexbright flashlight I Kickstarted, still waiting.

I'm not paying $100+ for a wristwatch that may never exist.
  • So in their video they had shots of actual watches actually being made in a factory. And apparently these people have previously put a Blackberry watch on the market. Soooo yeah.
  • edited April 2012
    Just Kickstarted a children's novel, Wollstonecraft. It's based on real life awesome women that was a computer programmer and a science fiction author. It's set in London, Victorian era if I recall, and has some steampunk-esque themes. Pro-math, pro-science, pro-Girl Power. Yes. Yes, please.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Your link is broken, because I want to give them my money.