This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

Comments

• Fixed. Thanks. It's also pro-history and pro-literature. $10 for ebooks 1 & 2, but $25 for 3 books with a postcard. I may upgrade.

Also the dude who's doing it is from Washington. Fuck yeah.
  • edited April 2012
    Pro-math, pro-science, pro-Girl Power, pro-history, AND pro-literature?

That's a lot of things I am also pro. They have my money. I didn't even sign up for a reward. That's just a project I want to see done.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • For those who play the Warhammer type games.

Tectonic Craft Studios New Line of War Games Terrain

I have to say that the guy is my dream nerd boy: pasty white, dark hair, bushy brows. He reminds me of Justin Long. My kind of geek.
  • Gosh, every time I try to get out of wargaming, they pull me back in. The new Citadel paints are mind-blowingly amazing, and now a really nice terrain set? It looks like the Vernian Light Brigade will ride again.
  • The new Citadel paints are mind-blowingly amazing
    Dude, seriously? Apple Barrel paints, distilled water, some acrylic Flow-Aid, and maybe a couple drops of Future floor wax. An equivalence chart for your color schemes and you're painting with the same stuff but you're saving yourself something like $3 a bottle.

• The new Citadel paints are mind-blowingly amazing
    Dude, seriously? Apple Barrel paints, distilled water, some acrylic Flow-Aid, and maybe a couple drops of Future floor wax. An equivalence chart for your color schemes and you're painting with the same stuff but you're saving yourself something like $3 a bottle.

You have links to recipes for this? I am very interested.

Also, I am 4 for 4 on Kickstarter: Trebuchette, Artisan Dice (which just closed), Tectonoc Crafts wargame terrain which has 23 hrs to go (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/101466427/tectonic-craft-studios-new-line-of-war-games-terra) , and a really cool custom dice tower (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617806523/unique-dice-towers-launches)
  • edited April 2012
    I would actually order one right now, if it wasn't so big. Why are watches so big? Who has such gigantic arms?!
    Scott, the watch body is 5cm by 3cm. That even fits me, and I have tiny little girl's wrists.

EDIT: But I do agree about the size of many men's watches. I think it's a compensating thing. I have a really nice watch from Russia celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the end of WW2, but it dwarfs my wrist.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited April 2012
    I like hefty watches. The weight and size keep me aware of the watch's presence, in a sort of "Tempus fugit, Memento mori" sort of way.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Anytime I hear about paints, I always hear about how everyone uses Vallejo. When I get back into the scene, I'm going to do a paint comparison myself.
  • Scott, the watch body is 5cm by 3cm. That even fits me, and I have tiny little girl's wrists.

EDIT: But I do agree about the size of many men's watches. I think it's a compensating thing. I have a really nice watch from Russia celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the end of WW2, but it dwarfs my wrist.
    As my father puts it, there are watches, Big watches, and Tiny Cock watches.

I always used to wear cheap knockoff watches, the $10 chinatown specials, usually knockoff Tag Heuer. They keep decent time, they're normally something resembling waterproof, and if they break after six months, whatever. And I never felt bad if they got broken in a fight, or lost, or stolen, because fuck it, they're ten bucks - in fact, on more than one occasion in my younger, nastier days, I used them like shitty knuckledusters.
  • Who wears watches?
  • edited April 2012
    Who wears watches?
    Did you know that when you're a flight attendant or pilot, being seen with your phone out anywhere but backstage areas is a disciplinary offense, and if you get done too many times, you can be fired?

Most hospitality jobs don't take kindly to it either, though I personally wouldn't carry my phone in the bar anyway - the only liquid-proof cases I've found are chunky as fuck, it's easier just to miss any calls, with the added bonus of not getting in the shit with the boss.

And, I'll wear them with a suit - because if I'm dressing up, I don't want to look like every other wanker in their off-the-rack polyester squinting at their phone every five minutes. I wear a watch and keep my phone in my pocket.

That's just common examples. I could go to extremes, but I don't think you need to be told about why it's easier to wear a watch when you're diving or surfing.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2012
    Referencing a cell phone for time in a formal setting stopped being a sign of the times and started being tacky as soon as they started making those ugly-as-sin designer phones from companies like Prada which reek of conspicuous consumption and have the same functionality as a 2001 Nokia candybar.

I'll stick with timepieces when I just need to tell the time, thanks. They make a good impression on people and are one of the few accessories men really get to choose and use. Even when the iWatch comes out, I'll still use analog pieces for a formal setting, I think.
  • I usually carry my sundial when wearing truly formal attire.
  • You guys are all weaksauce. I use my internal biological clock.
  • You guys are all weaksauce. I use my internal biological clock.
    Name one time when only knowing that a month has passed is useful.
  • Name one time when only knowing that a month has passed is useful.
    What do you know about the birds and the bees, Sail?

• OGRE has now surpassed D-Day Dice to become the most-funded board game project on Kickstarter. And it still has forever and a day to go.
  • Is this the old-school game of tank combat with the really slick inked illustrations OGRE?
  • edited April 2012
    Is this the old-school game of tank combat with the really slick inked illustrations OGRE?
    Yeah. Except it comes with limited edition models from SJ Games, and in a super-huge "Battlefield" size if you pay extra. Oh, with literally every OGRE expansion ever bundled in.

I'm putting at least $100 down on it, and maybe $160 so I get the Giant Battlefield option.
  • edited April 2012
    OGRE just broke $200k, with 20+ days to go.

If you have $100 and have any interest in wargaming, I encourage you to buy the game. Steve's a great guy and OGRE has been out of print for years; all of the stretch goals have made it so that you're going to get a wargame on a titanic, ASL scale in one box, no futzing with paints or kowtowing to greedy bastards who hate their fans required. If they break $250k, everyone who got the game through Kickstarter gets their copy a whole month early.

The latest stretch goal means that four maps are getting bundled with the game, increasing play area to probably 10'x10' when all four are used at once.
  • I kinda want OGRE, but it's $100. That's more than Eclipse. Also, I don't think it will ever get played. Also, I don't have room to put it anywhere.
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah, except you can't get Eclipse for less than $100. Unless you're in goddamn Finland. OGRE will at least be deliverable.

Also, tanks!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Yeah, except you can't get Eclipse for less than $100. Unless you're in goddamn Finland. OGRE will at least be deliverable.

Also, tanks!
    You buy it, and I'll play it with you.

• Yea someone in the FRC needs to get it.. I've been thinking about it, but I've never been a big war gamer, should I get it as my one. Is it that good?
  • edited April 2012
    Guys, let's just play Battletech. Tanks are cool, but not as cool as robots.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Im thinking about dropping 100 bucks for ogre but I really haven't done much war gaming. I going to have to let that bounce around in my head for a bit.

I saw Mobile Frame Zero at PAX and jumped on it. I signed up for kickstarter from my phone and pledged before I even finished playing. I also bought a few other games from their booth at PAX. Now im trying to get my friends to play some Dread.
  • edited April 2012
    Guys, let's just play Battletech. Tanks are cool, but not as cool as robots.
    OGRE has both. The GEV/Shockwave rules are now integrated.

Palladium founder and Rifts designer Erick Wujcik on OGRE: "I think [Ogre's] success really boils down to four essentials: Ogre is fast, ... asymmetrical, ... open-ended, ... [and] is a teaching tool. Ogre had restructured my mind pretty completely ... but it wasn't until 2002 ... that I realized how effective Ogre is at getting across so many important component mechanisms of play and design."