This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doodling Supplies

edited April 2012 in Art!
So I doodle at work, a lot. I don't actually draw anything for real. I just tend to draw repetitive geometric shapes, and then I color them in. The thing is, I'm pretty limited to red, blue, black, and pencil. Since that is standard office supply. I also make a mess of my desk with all these sheets of regular paper.

I'm thinking I want to get some sort of sketch book that is good for doodling. Not fancy and expensive, since it's just doodling, but still a book of blank white paper that will hold together. Also, I'm thinking of colored pencils to get some variety in the coloring for cheap. Are the Crayola twistable ones any good, or should I get the regular ones with a sharpener? I just kinda don't want to get pencils shavings all over the place.

Comments

• iPad + SketchBook Pro. Best thing I use for doodling. :P
  • Paper by 53 is the new ~totally hot~ drawing app
  • edited April 2012
    I'm not big on colour pencils, but crayola anything is generally unmitigated shit. Last I remember, with the understanding I have not used a crayola pencil since I was like 10, they are all brittle and gross, will sharpen poorly, and will sooner rip your paper than get a smooth line. It's not easy to fill in shapes with them because they are all hard and trying to hold them sideways will just snap them or rub the shitty wood all over your paper because they've gone all nubby immediately.

For what you're doing, I'd just get a small ring sketchbook, a selection of basically any non-crayola coloured pencils, and a sharpener with a shaving catcher thing.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • But yeah, I mean seriously... drawing with rock sticks on mashed up and flattened wood? This isnt the 19th century bro
  • I'm right there with you, I've got my wacom on my knee right now, but until the ipad gives me a textured surface and lets me adjust the sharpness of my pencil without fucking with sixteen menus, I'll keep using my primitive-ass shit.
  • How about replacing your doodling time with something productive?
  • Step off man, doodles are awesome.
  • Step off man, doodles are awesome.
    I'm making a Scott argument back at Scott! I've got a lot of love for the doodles.

• I'm at work. I am doodling while also thinking. Thinking is most of my work. It is something for my hands to do while the brain is productive. If you can think of something productive my hands can do while my brain is thinking about work, I'm all ears.
  • iPad + SketchBook Pro. Best thing I use for doodling. :P
    Awww yeah. Sketchbook pro is awesome. I have it or android, though.
  • I only have an iPhone. I'm not going to buy an entire tablet just for doodling.
  • We're not saying you should, but it is a perk of having a tablet. I use my iPad for many things:

Gaming (time waster & board)
    Knitting patterns guide
    Reading books, comics, & manga
    Lots of video watching of all kinds
    Interneting
    Doodling/sketching
    Japanese lessons

While I've spent a decent price on apps, I find the convenience of a nice all-in-one that I can carry in my purse worth it.

There are doodle apps for the iPhone as well, even though the screen is small. People use the Sketch Book app on the iPhone for on the go doodling.
  • The iPad is the best computer available at the moment. I suggest everyone throws out all other computers and computing related devices and just hop on down the local Apple store and pick one up.
  • I prefer my PC for playing Steam games. I love the convenience factor of it when I'm on the couch or in bed.

Aren't the iPad 2s cheap now because of the 3?
  • So no actual suggestions for doodling pads or coloring utensils.
  • edited April 2012
    Staedtler Triplus Fineliners and a soft-cover standard sized Moleskine, either graph paper (my preference) or sketch paper.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yeah, I was about to suggest any moleskin sketchbooks. They are bound and not spiral which tends to bend to easily.

This one is a decent pocket size, or fits conveniently in messenger bags.
  • Moleskine is a little too fancy for doodling. But maybe it will enhance the doodles? Those pencils look nice, but are too fine. I color like a 5 year old.
  • Moleskine is a little too fancy for doodling. But maybe it will enhance the doodles? Those pencils look nice, but are too fine. I color like a 5 year old.
    Wouldn't at that point just any notebook and any bunch of pens do the job? Why try to be fancy and find some specific supplies when you just doodle to pass time?

Wouldn't at that point just any notebook and any bunch of pens do the job? Why try to be fancy and find some specific supplies when you just doodle to pass time?

I want to clean up my desk. I don't want to make doodling frustrating to where I have to think about it. For example, pointy bits on newsprint means much rippage and drawing on the desk. Sharpies mean ink seeping through onto the desk. There's a lot that can go wrong. I also want more colors to get more variety.
  • Why don't you just keep printer paper around, as soon as you start getting doodling supplies, you are no longer doodling...
  • Why don't you just keep printer paper around, as soon as you start getting doodling supplies, you are no longer doodling...
    I could imagine Scott having bunch of high quality art supplies and stuff around his desk, all which he uses to draw some geometric shapes and coloring them.

That's what I do now. There is printer paper everywhere. It's a mess.
  • Can't you just ask your office supply order person to see what they have in their catalog?
  • That's what I do now. There is printer paper everywhere. It's a mess.
    Some sort of notebook could help with that mess.

• Why don't you just cut the normal paper into quarters and use binder clips to keep them together like a book?
  • Why not just go into an office supply or arts store and try out the pens and see which ones you like?
    Since I usually just need lines, pens like these, which have a soft-ish tip and let the ink seep into the paper a little or those with harder tips. They come in packs of four or so, each with a different strokeweight. They may not give you artsy results but they work for me.

As for paper, I like to have an A3 sketch block on my desk and an A4 one for my backpack. The paper is generally nice and they're pretty cheap and you can stick loose pages into the fold between the cover and back.
    Or a paper book (sorry if that's not the correct word) like this one without lines, also cheap-ish and gets the job done.
  • Just get a little spiral-bound, unlined pocket sketchbook. They're super cheap in art/craft supply stores. Also get mechanical pencils and a retractable white eraser. There you go, doodle supplies.
  • I just get a sketch pen (I prefer faber castells ) and a Utrecht mini Sketchbook.
  • Regular mechanical pencil, the gummy eraser you can mold like clay, and prismacolor colored pencils are my favorites for non-marker doodling.