This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tomahawk

edited April 2012 in Technology
So this is a pretty basic open source music player with a few really important features.
You link it to your GTalk account and you can look around your friends' collections,
You click the headphones next to your friend and you listen to what they're playing.
Churba and I are working on whether you stream music every time you want to play it or if it's actually coppied.

I'm omnutia@gmail.com and usually listening to something atrocious.

http://www.tomahawk-player.org/
Post edited by Omnutia on

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Seems fun. As long as it's not one of those open source music players that lags with a big library or doesn't support gapless playback, I could see myself using it. It'd be nice if it scrobbled with Last.fm, too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • There's Last.FM built in and I'm not sure what your definition of big but I used to like Amarok which let you plug it into a MySQL database for really heavy work.
  • Seems fun. As long as it's not one of those open source music players that lags with a big library or doesn't support gapless playback, I could see myself using it. It'd be nice if it scrobbled with Last.fm, too.
    It doesn't seem to have a problem with mine, at nearly 10,000. It scrobbles just fine, and it's really not too bad so far.

Audio quality is good, very little latency, song sharing, I'm really liking it.
  • I try this.
  • I try this.
    You hunger?
  • edited April 2012
    I'll try this thing out. It's jeremedia01@gmail.com if anyone wants to hear what I hear.

EDIT: Oh god, it is definitely telling me that Omnutia is listening to what I'm listening to. I am self conscious.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • edited April 2012
    Churba@gmail.com for mine. I listen to a lot of odd stuff, and have a pretty eclectic collection.
    Level of fucks Given?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I tired this out. The social aspect is nice idea, but I don't see myself using this. I don't really like the ui.
  • neito@nerdramblingz.com

I'm all for bandwagons. I'm a big fan.
  • Trying this out. It seems like if they could find a way to plug this into existing audio players, like iTunes or Winamp or whatever people use, they'd be better off.

mikeaschneider@gmail.com
  • edited April 2012
    I shall try this as well, trying to figure out how to add you all to this thingy.

Edit: figured out however I am not seeing anyone musics yet, will leave it alone for a bit.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited April 2012
    Spinnin choons for the FRCF awww yiss
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2012
    Spinnin choons for the FRCF awww yiss

I am listening in right now, I dub this better than turntable so far. Just need a FRCF chat room listen party going on.

Edit: In the geeknights IRC chat room, lets actually use the thing.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • True that. And no more "Hey does anyone have this?" because you can just search and find out. I might be going offline in a bit, though, but I'll leave my computer on so ya'll have access to my collection.
  • One problem with the program. Adding songs from just your own collection to your queue, or a playlist, apparently will include the stuff your friends have as well, even if that means doubling songs.
  • One problem with the program. Adding songs from just your own collection to your queue, or a playlist, apparently will include the stuff your friends have as well, even if that means doubling songs.
    That is kinda annoying, yeah. But it does have a built in "I want this song, copy it" dealie going on, so I suppose it's upsides and downsides this early in the game.

• edited April 2012
    "I want this song, copy it" dealie going on
    Except, it doesn't. I tried and it doesn't seem to do what we think it does. Might be that said option is the one that specifies only to use local storage to get them songs. Which is a slightly stupid UI decision, but so is a bunch in the program. Can't freaking sort by album name instead it's all forced to be artist->album->song.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Yeah, the UI is a bit dodge. And I tried it that way before, and it seemed to work, HOWEVER, it was probably because I had the song in local storage and didn't realize.
  • Almost half your collection is Dutch barsongs, so yeah. Not saying much there bro.
  • Apparently this thing set my GTalk status without asking me? Fuck that noise.
  • Apparently this thing set my GTalk status without asking me? Fuck that noise.
    It does? I didn't notice it. Just checked it and not doing that for me.
  • If it's the only XMPP client open on your account, it does. It has the lowest priority a Jabber client can have, though, so if you have, say, the GTalk app, Trillian, or anything else open, it won't.
  • I just found this and started trying it out. I could see myself using it over WinAmp.