This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

vertical actuator

edited April 2012 in Technology
I'm building a project and I need to lift and hold a small box (8x15x40" holding 50-90 lbs) 14 inches, and then retract it with control. I'm thinking of using drawer runners on each side (to guide) and a central lead screw + motor (to power).
Any engineers out there to advise me / tell me I'm crazy and I should use foo technology instead?
I'm wondering what kind of screw to use, what power motor (I think AC would be better for my purposes, but I suppose I could include an adapter), what setup (motor directly connected to the screw?). Any other advices would help too -- I'm not an engineer.

Comments

• I can't help you, but maybe something in this video can.

that is a sexy video.
    that is a sexy video.
    *nods*
  • Just purchase an electric linear actuator.
    Except those are money & I'm intending to eventually make multiples. And if I'm going to sell this thing, I'd prefer to not spend a disproportionate amount of money on that aspect.
  • Perhaps you should define all of your constraints when asking the original question :P
  • Perhaps you should define all of your constraints when asking the original question :P
    maybe you should.. FINE!
  • Have you considered using some manner of hydraulics instead?
  • edited April 2012
    Have you considered using some manner of hydraulics instead?
    have considered, but don't know enough about it. (that is to say, if you *do* know, please educate me.)

was considering gas-cylinder assists as well. it is important that it does not require much exertion on the part of the user.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited April 2012
    It's 50 - 90 pounds. Pick it up.

/not helping
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • It's 50 - 90 pounds. Pick it up.

/not helping
    You know, the ID dept here is *really* into service design. Maybe I should start a handy-stripper company with something in the tag line referencing "heavy lifting".
  • Is your project allowed to start with a 50-90 lb weight 14 inches in the air attached to a lever? Because I always recommend a good counterweight.
  • Is your project allowed to start with a 50-90 lb weight 14 inches in the air attached to a lever? Because I always recommend a good counterweight.
    if i understand your question, no, unfortunately. this needs to essentially be a small table lift, without being nearly as complex. think those hidden TV cabinets.