This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090625 - Celebrity Deaths

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Davy Jones from the Monkees has died, aged 66.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2012
    Internet is suggesting she was stung to death by WASPS. That's so crazy and random it almost has to be true.
    What were a bunch of Protestants doing in her hotel room?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • RIP Jean "Moebius" Giraud.

This is one of the greatest losses comics could have sustained, and a huge loss for science fiction and fantasy as a whole. Also, the first celebrity death to make me cry a bit. The world is a different place without Moebius.

This is one of the greatest losses comics could have sustained, and a huge loss for science fiction and fantasy as a whole. Also, the first celebrity death to make me cry a bit. The world is a different place without Moebius.
    Whoah, I didn't realize he was that old.

Whoah, I didn't realize he was that old.
    He wasn't, really. 73. He had cancer, though, and was really private about it.
  • Yeah, when I saw that this morning I was pretty bummed. Artist deaths are the only celebrity deaths that make me really sad. The only time I ever cried at being told of the passing of someone I didn't know was Satoshi Kon, because he was so young and because an infinite world of ideas inside his head died with him. It's kinda like that with Moebius. We lost a man and his fertile imagination together.
  • Rip Takeshi Aono

wiki
  • edited April 2012

Looks like your wife got a point, Jason.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited April 2012
    No, she got 18 points.
    Or as Dick would have said, "EingHgtEeeeeen!"
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Fark put it best: "Dick in a box"
  • Aww, bummer.
  • He died for my right to party.
  • Man, fuck this.
  • He knew he had cancer a long time ago. Not exactly a surprise.
  • Yeah, but he had successfully undergone radiation therapy and surgery.
    Cancer is a bitch. Don't get it.
    Cancer is a bitch. Don't get it.
    Implying it's possible to "avoid" cancer.

Thanks, I'll make a note of that Scott.

Hey body, don't get cancer.
  • edited May 2012
    That You Don't Say guy is amazing.

Also, the science backs me up on this, the #1 way to lower cancer risk. Avoid alcohol consumption.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Fun fact: If you're a male, medical opinion is that you will eventually develop prostate cancer. Not that chances are high, not that this is a matter of probabilities and impossibly long theoretical lifetimes.

If you live to be older than 60, it is a virtual certitude that you will present with pre-cancerous signs for prostate cancer, either in the form of urine panel results, or physically palpable nodules.

Make sure to get your regular screenings, kids.
  • Fun fact: If you're a male, medical opinion is that you will eventually develop prostate cancer. Not that chances are high, not that this is a matter of probabilities and impossibly long theoretical lifetimes.

If you live to be older than 60, it is a virtual certitude that you will present with pre-cancerous signs for prostate cancer, either in the form of urine panel results, or physically palpable nodules.

Make sure to get your regular screenings, kids.
    I knew this, but I thought that in most cases the prostate cancer wouldn't kill you before something else did, so it's not worth getting it treated unless it's a particular kind.
  • That You Don't Say guy is amazing.
    Jeremy and I do that face to each other all the time.
  • edited May 2012
    Biologically, doing anything to "limit cancer risk" other than avoiding exposure to incredibly potent carcinogens (gamma radiation, UV, benzene, asbestos, nicotine, etc.), is fairly specious. Yeah, you might not drink, but that's not going to stop a glioma from exploding in your prefrontal cortex and turning you into a gibbering madman, or pancreatic cancer turning you into a husk while your body devours itself.

Alcohol only increases the chances of mouth, esophagus, and throat cancer, per our research. Cancer is a far, FAR more complex issue than whether or not you drink. Things like carcinogen exposure (including whether or not you drink) are only tiny modifiers of an immensely complex genetic, epigenetic, cellular, and biochemical equation.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    Of course, everything involving biology is one small piece in a vast incomprehensible puzzle. But still from Wikipedia:

Australia: A 2009 study found that 2,100 Australians die from alcohol-related cancer each year.[11]

Europe: A 2011 study found that one in 10 of all cancers in men and one in 33 in women were caused by past or current alcohol intake.[12][13]

If you believe that, then as a dude, not drinking means I am around 10% less likely to get cancer. That's not insignificant.

Of course, maybe it could have something to do with Europe, and in the US drinking doesn't cause cancer at all.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2012
    I'm curious as to the nature of the drinking habits across the populations studied.

And anyway, despite increased cancer risk, the benefits of moderate regular alcohol consumption are about equally as long as the risks, the most notable "pro" being a large decrease in the number of silent infarcts--strokes. Now, we might differ in opinion, but to me, a mild increase in cancer risk is a risk I'm willing to take in return for the decrease in the chance of losing motor ability and the ability to speak, if not dying instantaneously.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • What about that study that said people who abstained from Alcohol lived sustainably shorter and less fun lives?
  • What about that study that said people who abstained from Alcohol lived sustainably shorter and less fun lives?
    What about the study that said a significant percentage of all studies are wrong?
    They were taken by the funpire.

What about the study that said a significant percentage of all studies are wrong?
    I suspect that you'll never use a study to prove a point ever again then :-p So that means Alcohol no longer causes cancer guys!