This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Avengers (with spoilers)

Comments

• I thought there was a lot of eye candy. Very, very acceptable eye candy. Mmmm. Pete, you need to take up archery. And hammering.

It was fun, and the dialogue was great. Joss Whedon totally knows what kind of men I like. We were definitely waiting for somebody to die, though... it's not a Whedon movie unless the dart board of character death comes out!

I liked that the special effects were not the whole movie. They managed to make Hawkeye a relatively interesting character (to me anyway), which was neat. Would totally go see it again. In fact, I probably SHOULD go see it again, since I had a headache and back cramps for the last 3rd of the movie. Tell you what though; seeing a Marvel movie at the 3 pm matinee on Tuesday is a good way to get a theater with a bunch of geeks and no one else.
  • Probably never. Most people won't understand it/associate the Hulk with green.
    The only reason there is a Gray Hulk was because he was originally gray and Marvel decided to keep it canon. There is a pretty good chance that we could get a movie with Red Hulk in it though, considering that Red Hulk is General Ross. That being said, Marvel seems to be very anti-Hulk movies (despite their signing Mark Ruffalo on for 6 movies), so I don't think it will happen for a number of years.

• Mmm...yer SO right gurrl.

Ehem. I particularly like how they handled Hawkeye's archery and that they didn't give him an infinite supply of arrows.
  • I expect that they have lost faith in the Hulk movies, and will relegate Hulk to being background in other movies. I expect him fairly prominently in Iron Man (him and Stark have buddied up), perhaps a little bit in Thor, a good potential for CA, and then of course in Avengers 2.
  • Mmm...yer SO right gurrl.

Ehem. I particularly like how they handled Hawkeye's archery and that they didn't give him an infinite supply of arrows.
    I really liked his quiver that allowed him to attach different heads to the arrows with via remote control. I want one.

• Pete, you need to take up archery. And hammering.
    So, basically, you want a whole lot more pounding in our relationship?

I'm down with that.

Also, maybe we can go see it if we have time. I'd like to see it in not-3D.
  • Other crazy out there idea: Make a super-hero team of nothing but the really boring super heroes. It would be like X-Men First Class, except even lower bar to entry. Hawkeye, Black Widow, Cap (the super soldier syrup makes him the most a human can possibly be, but nothing more), Punisher, etc. But don't weaken the villain. Use Galactus or The Mandarin or whatever. They'd use their wit and genius to beat the villain instead of just being a God.
  • Implying any of those heroes are boring.
  • I don't think they are, I'm just thinking of how everyone complained about the First Class mutants as being lame when I preferred them to the standard line-up.
  • Other crazy out there idea: Make a super-hero team of nothing but the really boring super heroes. It would be like X-Men First Class, except even lower bar to entry. Hawkeye, Black Widow, Cap (the super soldier syrup makes him the most a human can possibly be, but nothing more), Punisher, etc. But don't weaken the villain. Use Galactus or The Mandarin or whatever. They'd use their wit and genius to beat the villain instead of just being a God.
    Mystery Men.

• edited May 2012
    DC's got their share of boring villains going on. I doubt Marvel can beat that.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • DC's got their share of boring villains going on. I doubt Marvel can beat that.
    Calendar Man was totally a badass in The Long Halloween, though.

I would actually bother to watch this if above were the case.
  • Marvel seems to be very anti-Hulk movies (despite their signing Mark Ruffalo on for 6 movies),
    Not quite, it's not six movies, it's six APPEARANCES as the hulk. Considering how they've been pulling the threads of the marvel movie universe together, I'm guessing that we'll get one, maybe two movies with Mark Ruffalo hulk, if we get any at all, and the rest are appearances in other movies, like Iron Man movies(most likely), the Captain America, Thor and the like.

• edited May 2012
    Marvel seems to be very anti-Hulk movies (despite their signing Mark Ruffalo on for 6 movies),
    Not quite, it's not six movies, it's six APPEARANCES as the hulk. Considering how they've been pulling the threads of the marvel movie universe together, I'm guessing that we'll get one, maybe two movies with Mark Ruffalo hulk, if we get any at all, and the rest are appearances in other movies, like Iron Man movies(most likely), the Captain America, Thor and the like.
    I don't think we'll get anymore Hulk movies, seeing that it's the least grossing of the franchise. (#25 & #28) They probably don't think it's a good bet/investment.

In related money news, Avengers breaks 1 billion in global box office sales.

While I still think overall, The Dark Knight Rises, will be something I will enjoy more, I don't think it's going to break the records as The Avengers has. This is mainly due to the fact that Chris Nolan doesn't do 3D and because 3D sales are more than regular 2D sales, that's something to consider in regards to how much The Avengers has been making.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • While I still think overall, The Dark Knight Rises, will be something I will enjoy more...
    Honestly, it'll be backwards for me. I'm sure I'll really like The Dark Knight Rises, but I doubt I'll enjoy myself as much as I did watching The Avengers.
  • edited May 2012
    Uh, it still made $113 million more than it cost at the box office, Ro. Least grossing does not equal unprofitable. Disney would be stupid to let one of its most recognizable heroes go untapped.

Budget $150,000,000
    Box office $263,427,551

And that doesn't include DVD sales or merchandizing.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • While I still think overall, The Dark Knight Rises, will be something I will enjoy more...
    Honestly, it'll be backwards for me. I'm sure I'll really like The Dark Knight Rises, but I doubt I'll enjoy myself as much as I did watching The Avengers.
    I agree, I'll be surprised if even a sequel to the Avengers can reach the zenith of the first movie. I mean the Batman Begins was pretty good, the Dark Knight was awesome, pretty sure the third one will have issues. (sorta like the X-men movies)

• Uh, it still made $113 million more than it cost at the box office, Ro. Least grossing does not equal unprofitable. Disney would be stupid to let one of its most recognizable heroes go untapped.

Budget $150,000,000
    Box office $263,427,551

Not to mention all the positive reviews coming from the movie that revolve around the handling and direction of the Hulk. Maybe the next Hulk movie will be more fun instead of torturous.

• Uh, it still made $113 million more than it cost at the box office, Ro. Least grossing does not equal unprofitable. Disney would be stupid to let one of its most recognizable heroes go untapped.
    Not to mention that a LOT of people are really, really loving the Hulk as shown in Avengers. If there is one thing I've heard about the avengers consistently and constantly, it's that people fucking love Hulk.

Not to mention that a LOT of people are really, really loving the Hulk as shown in Avengers. If there is one thing I've heard about the avengers consistently and constantly, it's that people fucking love Hulk.
    I think one of the things people are not catching on to is Hulk is fun with other super heroes more then super villains. Hulk as the "we have this really awesome weapon but he might also destroy us if we use him and things get out of hand" is a lot more interesting then Hulk vs random tough guy. Though I'd have to admit a Hulk movie where he beats the snot out of like 20 marvel super villains all in one movie would be pretty awesome as well.

• Though I'd have to admit a Hulk movie where he beats the snot out of like 20 marvel super villains all in one movie would be pretty awesome as well.
    Or they could just make an adaptation of World War Hulk, where the Hulk beats the ever loving shit out of the strongest superheros in the Marvel Universe.

• I've been craving shawarma ever since I saw this movie. Stupid diet...
    Also I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as much as everyone else in the world has. Which is great, but the cynical side of me believes that we have reached the zenith of comic book movie-dom, and the only place left to go now is down.

I hope I'm wrong.

Budget $150,000,000
    Box office $263,427,551

Not to mention all the positive reviews coming from the movie that revolve around the handling and direction of the Hulk. Maybe the next Hulk movie will be more fun instead of torturous.

THE END IS NIGH, EVERYONE. GET IN YOUR FALLOUT BUNKERS... SCOTT JOHNSON HAD AN ENTIRE POST WITH PERFECT GRAMMAR. GNASHING OF TEETH, SACKCLOTH, SULFUR RAIN... THAT'S THE KIND OF THING YOU SHOULD BE EXPECTING NOW.

:D
  • edited May 2012
    I'm pretty sure, I've managed to post a comment before without gnashing of teeth. :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'm pretty sure, I've managed to post a comment before without gnashing of teeth. :-p
    An unnecessary comma. What a relief.
  • edited May 2012
    Uh, it still made $113 million more than it cost at the box office, Ro. Least grossing does not equal unprofitable. Disney would be stupid to let one of its most recognizable heroes go untapped.

I want Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner to sheepishly tell me I'm pretty~ <3
    Post edited by WindUpBird on

Budget $150,000,000
    Box office $263,427,551

THE END IS NIGH, EVERYONE. GET IN YOUR FALLOUT BUNKERS... SCOTT JOHNSON HAD AN ENTIRE POST WITH PERFECT GRAMMAR. GNASHING OF TEETH, SACKCLOTH, SULFUR RAIN... THAT'S THE KIND OF THING YOU SHOULD BE EXPECTING NOW.

:D
    DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER, MASS HYSTERIA!

• THE MAN WILL BECOME THE DOG, THE DOG WILL BECOME THE CAT, THE CAT WILL BECOME THE WORM, THE WORM WILL BECOME THE DIRT, AND THE DIRT WILL BECOME THE JEW!