This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Bush Legacy

edited August 2007 in Politics
First of all I am not an american citizen. I have being living in the USA for the last seven years, it was thank a resolution that was passed during the Clinton administration that I was able to obtain my green card after seven years. I reserve my comments since I am not a citizen yet. However, I have always wonder what do you guys think is the legacy of President Bush?

Comments

• Don't get me started . . .

Oh plz, it is the internetz :D

Oh plz, it is the internetz :D

Dare I?

• Dare I?
    Oh, I dare. ^_~ I need some fun reading for the day, and I really enjoy reading what you post.
  • I'm not entirely confident that Bush is even going to leave. His legacy may turn out to be Queen Jenna.
  • edited August 2007
    I recently saw one of those oval shaped "W" stickers, that you once saw that said "W '04". This one said "W '08". I had to do a double take and then thought "WTF?". That sticker scares me more than anything else.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Even if he doesn't just declare martial law, many people have speculated that he will say, "Oh yeah, those last two elections were disputed, so I get to run again."

How could ANYONE support him now? Even as a joke?
  • Even if he doesn't just declare martial law,many people have speculatedthat he will say, "Oh yeah, those last two elections were disputed, so I get to run again."

How could ANYONE support him now? Even as a joke?
    That's the most far-fetched thing I've heard since I chatted with you on AIM yesterday :D

Bush is a lame duck, and he knows it. His cronies are being shed right and left, abandoning his cause as the end comes crashing down. There is no plausible way that Bush could institute martial law, and if he did, half of America would be on his doorstep with pitchforks and torches, if not guns.

Even if he were to get his name magically back on the ballot, the Democrats are ready to crush everything in their path in 2008. I've made no bones that I'm a Republican in theory because of economics, but a leftist when it comes to social libertarianism. But Bush and company have even estranged their own party, with the exception of the radical Christian right, who, with every supportive claim for Bush, are merely lampooning themselves on the public stage.

With that said, I think Bush's presidency is the most important since Nixons -- not because of great strides made, but because he's put together a playbook for how to destroy a party single-handed. He launched a multi-front, insubstantial war much like Don Quiote charging against windmills. He's backpedaled on ethics, cut freedoms at home, botched foreign policy, withered through scandals, and has unintentionally branded himself and his supporters as backwoods illiterates.

The chapter on Bush II in the history books will be a study in how to fuck up a sure thing.
  • edited August 2007
    That's the most far-fetched thing I've heard since I chatted with you on AIM yesterday :D
    I put nothing past him. If you told me six years ago that he was listening to phone calls, reading medical and bank records, giving himself the power to declare martial law, take property from americans suspected of doing business with the wrong people, and classify american citizens as enemy combatants, and instructing his attorney general to fire U.S. Attorneys who refuse to pursue cases against political enemies, and getting ready to invade a sovereign nation based on a pack of lies, I'd have said, "That sounds pretty far fetched."

There are still people who support him though. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • There are still people who support him though. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?
    People I work with and some Veterans I encounter at work. It is simply AMAZING how these people rant how awesome Bush is and how the evil democratic party conspires to ruin his good name. That's why when I'm at work, I have my iPod headphones in my ears 90% of the time.
  • I suspect that veterans tend to be warhawks not because they can identify with it, but as a means of expunging their guilt. It would be much easier to bear the burden of having killed in war if there is someone else in a high position of power telling you it's alright to fight.
  • edited August 2007
    There are still people who support him though. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?
    They're Star Fox!!

Sorry.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited August 2007
    There is no plausible way that Bush could institute martial law, and if he did, half of America would be on his doorstep with pitchforks and torches, if not guns.
    I wish. What would really happen is they'd all keep playing their Pokemons and watching their American Idols and say, "Meh."

Do you think this has any chance of being effective?
  • Out of curiosity, is that the same Michael Collins from Science Fridays on NPR Joe? If so that'd be interesting. Another fun note: Michael Collins was the third astronaut on the Apollo 11 mission.
  • All I know about him is that he writes awesome articles like this.
  • edited August 2007
    It is not an anti-war protest, a civil rights protest, an election fraud protest. It is not about torture, surveillance, corporate media, the 9/11 coverup, or the environment. This strike is about all these issues and more.
    Actually, now that I read past the byline, I have a few comments on simply the introductory paragraph. I would strongly hesitate to applaud organization of people if their purpose is for something as outrageous as 9/11 conspiracies. As for corporate media, thats a whole different issue, one that is dissolving as an overwhelming problem because of increasingly accessibility of the Internet. While I understand your point of the apathy of people, I think it to be a strong over-generalization.

On a separate note, why would a sensationalizing blogger from 'Washington DC' use a .nz domain?
    Post edited by Bromley on
  • Doesn't your quote say that the strike is not about "the 9/11 coverup"?
  • This strike is about all these issues and more.
  • edited August 2007
    OMG, I didn't even see that and I was looking right at it! You're absolutely right. Color me pwned.

Anyway, I wasn't asking if you applaud the organization. I was asking if you think it will be effective. I personally think there won't be much of a turnout.

Why? Because no one seems to care. Now, if GWB had a BJ - THAT would be something people would care about. Martial law, not so much. I don't think you can ever overestimate the apathy of the American people to something that can't be pretty directly related to sex.
  • Bush and his cronies? There are not enough words to describe the evil, greed, racism, and foulness that these belligerent, arrogant, despicable people have spread across the globe. They sooner they are gone the better for everyone. They have turned the USA into an international embarrassment.
  • There are still people who support him though. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?
    They're Star Fox!!

Sorry.
    What?
  • One of his legacies is the Patriot Act, which targets two of his greatest enemies, libraries and the internet.
  • One of his legacies is the Patriot Act, which targets two of his greatest enemies,librariesandthe internet.
    Wouldn't that more be the legacy of both the Republican and Democratic congresses that have voted it through for him? The Democrats even gave it more power and authority in the last bill. PELOSI POWER!
  • edited August 2007
    It was actually introduced by Congressman James "Tex" Sensenbrenner (R, WI), but does anyone really dispute it's Bush's baby?

Democrats have fought it, but not nearly hard enough.
  • Honestly, how do you blame more, the people who outnumbered everyone and introduced the stupid legislation in the first place, or the people who were outnumbered and didn't fight it hard enough?
  • Honestly, how do you blame more, the people who outnumbered everyone and introduced the stupid legislation in the first place, or the people who were outnumbered and didn't fight it hard enough?

Do you blame a tiger for killing or the hunter who failed to kill it as it walked right in front of him?
  • That is a very poor and unrelated analogy.
  • It is not a poor analogy. The tiger is the republicans and the hunter is the democrats. The democrats have a very powerful weapon that allows them to hunt tigers, it's called the media which leans enough to the left to help them.

The democrats could have fed a few tidbits to the media to taint the Patriot Act if they wanted to. Instead they just went along with it because it was "popular" at the time to be for it (much like the Iraq invasion).
  • I guess Democrats silly strategy is to let the Republicans mess up so then the Democrats get the next elections.
  • I guess Democrats silly strategy is to let the Republicans mess up so then the Democrats get the next elections.

We call that cutting off your nose to spite your face.