This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I finally finished Escaflowne

edited August 2007 in Anime
I started watching this series on VOD near the beginning of the summer and they put up the last 3 episodes this week.

After watching this entire series over the summer and seeing that ending (I don't want to spoil) that was beautiful! It was....just whoa! It was just an epic series that has so many aspects of anime someone would like. After watching it I just sat there, turned off the TV and thought "That was so amazing. Nothing I watch after that could top it today. What now!"

I do have some questions and comments about the series but WARNING! IF YOU DON'T WANT ANYTHING SPOILED DON'T KEEP READING! IM SAYING THIS JUST IN CASE! DON'T KEEP READING IF YOU HATE BEING SPOILED LIKE ME. (Like Deathnote was spoiled for me! Damn you Deathnote people spoiling the ending!)

What is up with Merle's people? Are they rare and hunted like those twin catgirls?

I didn't understand why Folken's wings turned black. Why?

Did anyone else think that Celena (who's a girl) turned into Dilandau (who's a guy) was a bit effed up!? That fact put into the series threw me for a minor loop because that was super unexpected. I did expect her to show up as an enemy against Van, Allen and Hitomi but not like that!

Did anyone ever say WHY the mystic moon is so cursed?!

END OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I need to show my friends this. I want to marathon this definitely. I'm a total Van fangirl now.

Comments

• Merle's people are same people as the catgirl twins. In the movie and the series the nonhuman tribes are generally looked down upon by the humans and it only takes one twitchy warlord to start suppressing them and wiping them out.

Folken's wings turned black because he was going to die. He knew his sacrifice would be needed for everyone else and when he made that choice they turned black. It's part of being a Draconian. If Van were to die at any point in the series or movie his wings would turn black as well.

The Mystic Moon is probably considered cursed due to horrible things happening when it shows up. It might not necessarily cause those things (like a flood/famine/plague) but what's different from normal? Obviously the mystic Moon is the cause! Hitomi arrives and Zaibach takes over everything, Dornkirk/Newton shows up and Zaibach goes from a country not on the radar to an industrial powerhouse, etc.

http://escaflowne.anime.net/ - An excellent Escaflowne information site ^_^
  • Wow, thank you Zibblelcoot!
  • Personally I really liked the show, but I absolutely hated the ending.
  • Personally I really liked the show, but I absolutely hated the ending.
    I have mixed feelings about the ending. I enjoyed it, but at the same time I found it similar to how some anime tends to end: (They don't let the main characters, Van & Hitomi) be fucking together! Sure they love eachother and they know it, but she has to go back to Earth, and Van stays to rule Fanelia. Will they ever be together? We don't know! >.< Me, I want to know. )
  • I just finished this. WTF? (Newton?)
  • SOILERS CONTAINED IN POST:
    Escaflowne is one of the first series I ever watched. I remember seeing the first four episodes at RIT Anime club sitting next to Scott Johnson (a.k.a. Cremlian/ScoJo). It is particularly memorable because I turned to ScoJo and asked him if Celena was Dilandau. He looked at me in a weird way and asked "How did you call that?"

Apparently it was some big thing, but anyone who knows Greek plays and noticed that they had the same hair and eyes could have picked up on it. The Isaac Newton stuff... no one could have called.
  • Escaflowne, and movie, both still on my will-watch-someday list.
    After watching it I just sat there, turned off the TV and thought "That was so amazing. Nothing I watch after that could top it today. What now!"
    So it's that amazing. o:
  • Escaflowne, and movie, both still on my will-watch-someday list.
    Watch the series before the movie. Trust me.
    After watching it I just sat there, turned off the TV and thought "That was so amazing. Nothing I watch after that could top it today. What now!"
    So it's that amazing. o:
    I was like that as well. I wanted more. I felt empty for a short period of time, but then the anime rental store owner showed me Cowboy Bebop. Crisis averted.
  • Watch the series before the movie. Trust me.
    Already planned to do it in that order.
    but then the anime rental store owner showed me Cowboy Bebop. Crisis averted.
    Hahaha, awesome.

Talk about the devil...
  • edited February 2009
    I really liked the way it ended. It was super bittersweet.

I both love and hate endings like that, like in Toki wo kakeru shojou. It gives you the "good cry."
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It gives you the "good cry."
    QFT. I cried way too much at the ending.

As for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I have yet to see it. Now that I know it makes you cry at the end, I'll have to save it for one of those special times where I feel like crying. :P
  • Escaflowne has not aged well for me. I just can't stand the way the just do things in the show deus ex machina style with that pillar of light.

Still, one of my first anime's (right after DBZ) so it'll always have a special place in my heart.
  • Watch the series before the movie. Trust me.
    I saw the movie first, but it made no sense and I didn't enjoy it all that much. Now that I've seen the series, I keep planning to go back and watch it, but it never seems to happen.
  • I just recently finished Escaflowne. I daresay that compared to everything else I have seen (which isn't that much), I have never had this much fun staring at a screen. Considering that most of what I have seen is what you could call "B-list" anime, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. From what I noticed in the trailer for the movie, it seemed to be an alternate retelling. Is the movie any good? I have some doubts that it could come close to the show.
  • From what I noticed in the trailer for the movie, it seemed to be an alternate retelling. Is the movie any good? I have some doubts that it could come close to the show.
    It's very pretty. That's pretty much all you need to know about the movie.

Oh yeah, the music is good too.

It's basically a very condensed version of the series minus some characters and various side plots.

Just enjoy Van looking sexy no shirt.
  • I love the movie soundtrack. I used to listen to it constantly. The TV soundtracks are also good.