This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• How about a Thursday show about interesting/weird places that the Front Row Crew has traveled to?
  • I think that you guys could do a Monday show on global warming. You could inform people on the theory and express your views, I think that would make an interesting episode.
  • From the fire episode: Lying lies and the liars who tell them.

Not sure if this was brought up in this thread before, but urban legends.
  • Lying lies and the liars who tell them.
    So, do you want us to tell you how to lie effectively or how to spot liars? ^_~  Calling out known liars isn't very interesting.
  • A Final-thoughts show on Watchmen. I just finished it today, and I want to hear what you guys have to say about it. OMG, great comic. Blew me away. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Oh, and on the note of Watchmen, it is pronounced "ROAR-SHOCK" not "Raw-shock" (or "raw-shank", Scott)! Didn't you guys ever hear of the Rorschach ink-blot tests? The two are pronounced the same way.
  • You just said, "we should do a show on lies." Or was it liars? I can't exactly remember any more.
  • A GeekNights episode on this topic is inevitable. Or so I would hope...
    Trolling? See thread!
  • edited July 2007
    First Person Shooter setups.
    Post edited by Magic on
  • Did they do a show on their favorite/popular old school cartoons? If not that would be cool. I'm talking those get up at dawn Saturday morning stuff or those after school one fox kids used to have. I miss those days badly.
  • Remote Access
  • Thursday: STORMS!
  • I just noticed that there has never been an episode on Philip K. Dick. I'm sure Scrym and most of the listeners have read plenty of his books.
  • I just noticed that there has never been an episode on Philip K. Dick. I'm sure Scrym and most of the listeners have read plenty of his books.
    I've never read one, although I have watched Blade Runner.

/ducks
  • edited August 2007
    Almost every problem in the world comes down to poor education + solution.
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • I just finished listening to all the Mon & Tue pod-casts, and I am almost done finished downloading Wed & Thur. While scrolling through all the Wed titles it seemed something was missing. So I checked the website and did a search there. It was missing there as well. Am I just crazy or have you guys never done a Anime pod-cast on CowBoy Bebop?
    (And if I am crazy, could someone show me the episode? I am really looking forward to an entire episode for CowBoy Bebop not just snippets here and there)
  • I just finished listening to all the Mon & Tue pod-casts, and I am almost done finished downloading Wed & Thur. While scrolling through all the Wed titles it seemed something was missing. So I checked the website and did a search there. It was missing there as well. Am I just crazy or have you guys never done a Anime pod-cast on CowBoy Bebop?
    (And if I am crazy, could someone show me the episode? I am really looking forward to an entire episode for CowBoy Bebop not just snippets here and there)
    Nope, haven't done one.
  • edited August 2007
    Final Thoughts: Evangelion.

EDIT: I didn't realize there was a topic on this already.
    Post edited by Magic on
  • Fat People / Rampant Obesity. You guys allude to your distaste of the issue so maybe a show on it would be good flamebait?
  • Final Thoughts: Utena, Eva, Trigun, Watchmen

Education System in America... Dammit, I had more, I've been listening to old episodes for like a month.
  • An episode on arguing and logical fallacies, would be great; as would an episode on game theory.
  • Thursday Show: Alternative tax codes (i.e. fair tax, flat tax, etc). You mentioned it in yesterdays show and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
  • An episode on arguing and logical fallacies, would be great; as would an episode on game theory.
    I second that show idea, how not to suck at debating/arguing. I remember Rym saying in an episode sometimes you get into arguments and point out the other's logical fallacies by their Latin names.
  • "Gaming Laptops"
    Kind of useless and a waste of money aren't they?
  • SSD, how does this tech work?
    32gb Solid State Drives and SSDs in RAID 0 worth it monetarily or stick with magnetic drives i.e. 200gb 7200rpm?
  • Final Thoughts: Watchmen
    I second the vote for this because bought it under your recommendation and loved it.

Full episode for Burning Wheel
    I feel the need to buy this soon and I'm wondering how much it is worth it.

Warhammer
    It's rather big here, and I understand you don't play it but respect it, why? Geekbite?
  • It's rather big here, and I understand you don't play it but respect it, why?
    Money.
  • It's rather big here, and I understand you don't play it but respect it, why?

Money.

Here is the thing about Warhammer though, it is not determined by whoever spends the most money on models wins. By assigning point values to models and restricting the maximum amount of points to an army, both sides have paid almost similar amounts of money into their armies. As for the cost, it may seem bad at first, but you don't need to buy everything first. If you plan and have someone else to build an army with, you can get away with spending only around 50-60 dollars a month and you will have a full sized army in about 4-5 months. That is the cost of one video game a month. And even that is a pretty liberal pricing if you really want to turn it down.
  • A follow-up on the DNS episode about setting up your own DNS server with other goodies. I just recently rewired my home network with the full shebang (DNS, separate intranet and external Apache webservers, Samba, FTP, DNS, firewall/router via iptables - all on one box), and while it was a pain dealing with the learning curve, I don't see why more people don't do it. Maybe a Geeknights DIY series?
  • I was copying over episodes to my shuffle and saw a recent show titled "GeekNights 070815 - How We Would Run..." (the title was cut off with the column). My mind completed the phrase ..."the World". Thought it might be an interesting Thursday episodes to see how Rym and Scott Ran would run everything.

Concept is thus: They get complete control (aka they could choose give up control and have a democracy or rule with an iron fist and be a dictator). It may be for the well-being of everyone or not. Doesn't matter. They choose. Another thing would be to see if there would be a difference between Rym and Scott's versions, as well what they would do if they had to share control. Would one kill the other for power, share contorl over everything or just split the world in two?
  • I second the "How we would run the world" as long as there's a "How would we take over the world" before that.

Just to be random here's some more ideas:

Otaku fights
    Music based games
    OEL manga
    Magazines they like
    Double entendres

Yes a random list indeed. Also if they already done an episode on any of those give me a heads up!