This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Music & Video Presentations in Panels at Anime Conventions: Policies & (C)

edited August 2007 in Conventions
For Another Anime Convention in October (www.anotheranimecon.com), I'm planning to put together a panel, potentially to be called "Music in Anime."

Does anyone know most conventions' policies on presenting media? I'm not too worried about the music (unless the RIAA bursts into the room and pulls off a Boondock Saints shootout). However, I also want to show short clips of video from anime series that contain music. It's probably "illegal" to show clips ripped from DVDs of American releases (example: Samurai Champloo [dubbed]) or clips from fansubbed anime that have already been licensed in the U.S (example: NANA [recently licensed] and Escaflowne [licensed long ago]).

So, the major question is: Will I be limited to showing certain types of media (especially video) because of copyright restrictions (especially since I would not have any industry consent)?

Also, would it be better to bring my own speakers (not laptop attachments, but actual cement-block-sized speakers), to ensure better audio quality?

Comments

• I think you're cool under fair use.
  • Most anime conventions pay ASCAP or BMI so that they can legally play all sorts of music. Basically, just ask the convention panels person what the deal is. Get it in writing that they say it is ok for you to do what you want to do. That way if anything happens, the convention takes all the heat.
  • Most anime conventions pay ASCAP or BMI so that they can legally play all sorts of music. Basically, just ask the convention panels person what the deal is. Get it in writing that they say it is ok for you to do what you want to do. That way if anything happens, the convention takes all the heat.
    Do conventions usually buy anything like these related to video?
  • Conventions get around the video issues all the time.  If the con has an AMV contest, then whatever you're doing should be OK.