This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Super true.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited June 2012
    I'll just point out at this juncture that those of us who routinely employ the scientific method - y'know, scientists - haven't had an issue with their application of the scientific method. In fact, it was a pretty accurate representation of how we actually investigate.
    Chapman was mostly upset at the scientists jumping to the conclusion that these cave paintings were a starmap, when there probably would have been simpler explanations.

What wasn't excusable was the way the biology made no sense (with the magic goo doing basically whatever the fuck it wanted), they seem to have had no idea how DNA works, and the scientists' incredible lack of caution when dealing with entirely unknown materials.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Problem: a movie about people who are smart and do the right thing does not work if you want any kind of horror/suspense. It will most likely become very boring very quickly.
  • edited June 2012
    What wasn't excusable was the way the biology made no sense (with the magic goo doing basically whatever the fuck it wanted), they seem to have had no idea how DNA works, and the scientists' incredibly lack of caution when dealing with entirely unknown materials.
    WHO WOULD EVER POSSIBLY DO THAT?!
    Problem: a movie about people who are smart and do the right thing does not work if you want any kind of horror/suspense. It will most likely become very boring very quickly.
    I don't know, there can be some pretty nasty fights at conferences or on journal review boards. Also, scientists are some of the most drama prone people I know.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm aware of that. I couldn't stand it because they were scientists, probably with PhDs, and the biologist in particular should have known better than to try to pet a hissing alien snake-thing.

Also, we're back to the problem of the movie trying to be a science fiction movie and a horror movie at the same time. The horror movie is boring when people aren't stupid, and the science fiction movie becomes unwatchable when things stop making sense.
  • What wasn't excusable was the way the biology made no sense (with the magic goo doing basically whatever the fuck it wanted), they seem to have had no idea how DNA works, and the scientists' incredibly lack of caution when dealing with entirely unknown materials.
    WHO WOULD EVER POSSIBLY DO THAT?!

Problem: a movie about people who are smart and do the right thing does not work if you want any kind of horror/suspense. It will most likely become very boring very quickly.
    I don't know, there can be some pretty nasty fights at conferences or on journal review boards. Also, scientists are some of the most drama prone people I know.Movie:

Wake up. Land on planet. Study soil samples for months. Find non-natural structure. Explore it with robots over the course of many years. Never leave ship for safety reasons. Audience dies of boredom.
  • That's why the ship could've been populated with non-scientists who do the stupid things, rather than scientists who do stupid things. Have some guards from the military tag along and mess everything up. Then it's believable.
  • That's why the ship could've been populated with non-scientists who do the stupid things, rather than scientists who do stupid things. Have some guards from the military tag along and mess everything up. Then it's believable.
    The scientists would immediately lift off and leave the military guys to die while observing from afar. The military guys won't be able to figure out how to do anything besides die. Then the boring soil collecting will commence.
  • What wasn't excusable was the way the biology made no sense (with the magic goo doing basically whatever the fuck it wanted), they seem to have had no idea how DNA works, and the scientists' incredible lack of caution when dealing with entirely unknown materials.
    1) Magic Goo = Clarke's Law.

2) If you're talking about how the DNA was a match despite the Engineers looking different than humans, consider epigenetics and the significantly-unexplored field of eukaryotic plasmids.

3) Bro, I don't know what you think you're on about. As a biologist, I can tell you that people in my fields mess with seriously dangerous and unknown shit all the time. It's kind of the nature of the exploratory sciences.

Man, not really. The military guys would be even more uptight and stuff! Wandering off and doing stupid shit while on the job gets people killed in the army much more consistently than it gets scientists killed, you know!

The real answer? Plucky children tag along on the mission, like this is some kind of 1980s sci-fi sitcom! They poke the aliens with a stick, die messy deaths, and everyone is happy!
  • Holy fuck people, it's a movie, not a journal paper.
  • Moon is still the best recent sci fi movie.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm aware of that. I couldn't stand it because they were scientists, probably with PhDs, and the biologist in particular should have known better than to try to pet a hissing alien snake-thing.
    So I once watched a guy - a Ph.D. in entymology - demonstrate the defense mechanism of the bombardier beetle by putting it in his mouth and then describing the experience.

Seriously. Scientists are crazy and do stupid things in the name of learning all the time. I really can't emphasize this enough. The biologist poking at the snake thing WAS TOTALLY ACCURATE. That's WHAT WE DO.

Also, the biology made no sense? IT'S A MOVIE ABOUT DISCOVERING ALIEN LIFE FORMS. Or are we not allowed to have science fiction plots wherein we discover we don't know as much as we thought we did?

And the scientists had to do stupid things anyhow, because one of the themes concerns itself with the arrogance of a race that can create life. We believed we'd be just fine because we understand Earth.

EDIT: Also, perhaps the movie was saying "there's more to being human than DNA." Y'know, given that one of the major themes was "what makes something a person?"

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited June 2012
    Of course scientists are crazy - they're human. The scientific method is just a way of controlling and directing the craziness; especially with regards to forcing people to accept that they're wrong, which is otherwise very difficult for people to do.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Also, note again, the "scientists" hired were intended by the funder to be "true believers." He didn't want cautious people, he wanted people who would do the wrong thing so he would get what he wanted.
  • edited June 2012
    It wasn't even that they did bad science. They did not have common sense! I have seen so many better behaved people in science fiction. They did mistakes even I, a non-scientist, would not have made.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It wasn't even that they did bad science. They did not have common sense! I have seen so many better behaved people in science fiction. They did mistakes even I, a non-scientist, would not have made.
    See, that's what I'm trying to get across. People who get heavily engrossed in their field of science tend to lose "common sense." You have to in order to do some kinds of investigations, and it's a byproduct of being a really experienced scientist.

Science drives you crazy because most of your attention is removed from the realm of human interaction.

There is a tendency for the non-scientist to put the scientist on this pedestal of rationality. Sure, I bet the average scientist is more rational than the average person, but scientists also routinely confront their monumental lack of knowledge. As we learn more, we generate more questions. It doesn't end, and eventually the swaths of questions you've created drive you loony.

So the aveage scientist is both more rational and crazier than the average person, because their relative irrationality is higher.
  • I read a book on critical thinking that posited that "common sense" is the prime logical fallacy, as it is the first barrier to modes of thought that otherwise lead to discovery.
  • Everyone seems to forget that the two "hey, let's play with the alien" guys were high at the time. They were smoking some form of space dope. Remember? ;^)
  • Everyone seems to forget that the two "hey, let's play with the alien" guys were high at the time. They were smoking some form of space dope. Remember? ;^)
    One guy was. It was unclear if he shared it.
    It was heavily implied that they shared, especially considering how much the biologist was giggling when he was messing with the alien (he'd been nervous and twitchy before).

It was heavily implied that they shared, especially considering how much the biologist was giggling when he was messing with the alien (he'd been nervous and twitchy before).

But the bong was integrated into the geologist's space suit. How could he share it?

But the bong was integrated into the geologist's space suit. How could he share it?
    Scuba gear has secondary regulators for someone to share your air supply in an emergency. It would make sense for atmospheric suits to have something similar.
  • edited June 2012
    Alright, we've established that it was okay for the scientists to do stupid things. What about everything else? That pointless ship rolling scene in the end? Blonde lady (forget name) was so stupid she couldn't run/roll sideways? She trips and lays there? It would have been more believable if maybe a piece fell and smooshed her or something. There were things like that throughout the movie. There were non-scientists/non-high people doing stupid things, too. How about mysterious zombie popping up and killing everyone and a bunch of people riding off in buggy thing, never to be seen or mentioned again? What about Shaw coming in all bloody after an obvious horrific surgery and everyone going "Oh hello, its you" without an ounce of surprise. David not even blinking an eye about his mysterious (really, WTF was he going for?) alien being aborted. Also it bothered me for the rest of the movie that Shaw just suited up and was running around right after being cut open and losing alot of blood. She did way too many things she shouldn't have been able to do. (Crawling up the side of a ledge where her abdomen would hit? Ouch!) I dunno about everyone else, but for me it was so clashing because the movie had something good going and could have been much better, if only things happened in a believable way. I kept being pulled out of the story by these things.

Whatever. I thought the movie had potential, could have been written better. Some of you think it was perfect and amazing, which baffles the rest of us a bit. (Sorry Andrew :-P) The ideas behind the movie, the look and feel, the overall plot- all that stuff was great. Execution not so great.
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • I didn't think it was amazing by any stretch, but it was reasonably fun. I feel about it the same way I felt about Avengers, though at least Prometheus had really good visuals.
  • I'll just point out at this juncture that those of us who routinely employ the scientific method - y'know, scientists - haven't had an issue with their application of the scientific method. In fact, it was a pretty accurate representation of how we actually investigate.

Seriously, the most brilliant minds out there are constantly winging it.

And no, computer science doesn't count.
    Computer science is something of a misnomer, I think. Computer mathematics is probably a more accurate description.
  • *won't comment on how avengers has great visuals*
    It did until the fight at the end. It was too herky-jerky with short cuts and nonsensical flow. I love a good superhero action scene, but I was literally bored by the end of that particular one.

It did until the fight at the end. It was too herky-jerky with short cuts and nonsensical flow. I love a good superhero action scene, but I was literally bored by the end of that particular one.

*Will not comment that he thought the fight scene was great and had GREAT visuals*
  • There were some crappy, obviously-greenscreened bits in Avengers, but I will say that the CG in Avengers was miles better than in Prometheus.