This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• The Intouchables, Coraline, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance were all wonderful.
  • edited June 2012
    I hear phenomenal things about The Intouchables. I'm glad Nic Cage: Fire Skeleton 2 was good, but I'd watch it even if it was shit for that Cage deliciousness.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on

• That was the ONLY good part of that movie.
  • The Brothers Bloom and Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise were both great.
  • Cannibal!: The Musical was also great, thanks for asking.
  • I recently saw Old Boy, and I didn't really like it. I can see why people do, but I just didn't enjoy it at all.
  • Just saw Brave. Unsurprisingly, it was great.
  • I don't know if it's just because of my excitement for the film, but I am currently saying that Brave is in the upper echelon of Pixar films. I'm going to see it again this morning (this time in 2D as so that I can compare the two) and it will hopefully give me a more balanced view of it.

One thing I will say is that the triplets are the best characters, and they never speak.
  • Sell me on Brave. It looks like Dreamworks-style kids movie with a plot of preachy femenism.
  • It's a story about a strained relationship between a mother and a daughter and how they go about rekindling their broken relationship.

Also there's magic, an amazing soundtrack, the best CG animation I have ever seen, and Billy Connoly.
  • Sell me on Brave. It looks like Dreamworks-style kids movie with a plot of preachy femenism.
    So "I want to blaze my own path" is preachy?

Step 1: Extract head from ass.

• I just said it looked like it, not that it was.
    Rules of the Internet #591: Insulting Pixar is tantamount to shitting on Lincoln's Tomb.

Rules of the Internet #591: Insulting Pixar is tantamount to shitting on Lincoln's Tomb.

Bug's Life. Not so hot.
    But how can you see anything with your head so en-coloned?

I disagree that it looks like preachy feminism. It looks like a story about a girl who is in circumstances that are not of her own choosing, and she says "Fuck this, I'ma go be a hero." It's a story about picking your own path - about defying society and its expectations of how you should be.

That's something everyone can relate to, I think.
  • edited June 2012
    I recently saw Old Boy, and I didn't really like it. I can see why people do, but I just didn't enjoy it at all.
    When people say they like Oldboy, they usually mean they like the claw hammer fight.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited June 2012
    Cars and Cars 2.

'nuff said

Post edited by Andrew on
    But how can you see anything with your head so en-coloned?

I disagree that it looks like preachy feminism. It looks like a story about a girl who is in circumstances that are not of her own choosing, and she says "Fuck this, I'ma go be a hero." It's a story about picking your own path - about defying society and its expectations of how you should be.

That's something everyone can relate to, I think.
    The mother character looks completely one-dimensional. I despise Naausica for the same reason.
  • Wall-E didn't make any sense. First of all, it's a robot. How am I supposed to connect with a robot? They don't have motivation or feelings. And how am I supposed to figure out his "motivations" if he doesn't talk?

And let's not even talk about how dumb the humans were. Eating till they can't move? Shouldn't someone have figured out to eat less at some point? Are you telling me nobody on that ship knew anything about nutrition? And the whole premise of "we filled the planet with garbage" is just too outlandish to be feasible.

At least it was pretty.
  • I find our different tastes on Pixar movies to be fascinating.

Some people say Ratatouille is their favorite, but others don't. I plan on seeing Brave tomorrow. Possibly in 3D. Don't know if it's worth it.
  • Wall-E didn't make any sense. First of all, it's a robot. How am I supposed to connect with a robot? They don't have motivation or feelings. And how am I supposed to figure out his "motivations" if he doesn't talk?

And let's not even talk about how dumb the humans were. Eating till they can't move? Shouldn't someone have figured out to eat less at some point? Are you telling me nobody on that ship knew anything about nutrition? And the whole premise of "we filled the planet with garbage" is just too outlandish to be feasible.

At least it was pretty.

I was talking about a recurring problem in cinema of demonization. You took it in a whole other direction.
  • edited June 2012
    Some people say Ratatouille is their favorite, but others don't.
    The word for the second group is "wrong."
    Post edited by P_TOG on

At least it was pretty.

I was talking about a recurring problem in cinema of demonization. You took it in a whole other direction.
    That wasn't actually a response to you - I was just going along the "insult Pixar" line.

I agree that the mom seems 1-dimensional from the 20 seconds I've seen. Two things:

1. Not all characters need to be well-developed. Mom maybe there just to set up conflict.

2. It's entirely possible that they develop the mother somewhere in the other hour and a half of the movie.
  • Which is why I said "It looks like a Dreamworks style kids movie with preachy feminism" and asked people to argue against that statement.
  • I plan on seeing Brave tomorrow. Possibly in 3D. Don't know if it's worth it.
    It's so worth it, the landscapes are absolutely breathtaking in 3D.

I agree that the mom seems 1-dimensional from the 20 seconds I've seen. Two things:

1. Not all characters need to be well-developed. Mom maybe there just to set up conflict.

2. It's entirely possible that they develop the mother somewhere in the other hour and a half of the movie.
    Queen Elinore is one of the most developed characters in the entire film, actually.

Also, it should be noted that most of the footage in the trailers is from the first third of the film. Take that as you will.

• Queen Elinore is one of the most developed characters in the entire film, actually.

Also, it should be noted that most of the footage in the trailers is from the first third of the film. Take that as you will.
    Seconding this. If you're not a kid, you can easily tell that the mother has quite a bit of depth to her and isn't just some evil queen-type character. Then she gets significantly more character development than everyone else in the film.

Brave isn't really mainly about female independence.
  • Which is why I said "It looks like a Dreamworks style kids movie with preachy feminism" and asked people to argue against that statement.
    Well, what part looks like "preachy feminism" to you? I see a trailer that emphasizes independence and self-determination.

Well, what part looks like "preachy feminism" to you? I see a trailer that emphasizes independence and self-determination.
    Coupled with action and an interesting set of characters.

• We're running in circles.