This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I am shocked and appalled... (role playing general conversation)

Comments

• edited January 2012
    But which of the designers will have to take up the "Pretentious, condescending, supercilious arrogant pillock" role? I mean, it's not like they can just HIRE Luke Crane...
    What the hell? That was mean and uncalled for. You have never met Luke. He's a nice person, albeit kind of socially awkward. I would say that you are the one being arrogant and cruel, lighting into someone like that. I'm not saying you have to like his voice or what he says, but that name-calling is overkill.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • One of the one-shot con games I may run this year is an RPG in which the players play characters that are in turn playing characters inside an MMORPG. So-far my initial experiments have been totally awesome, but within the confines of a group I know well and that is open to bizarre ideas. If you've ever read "Ready Player One" you might see some resemblance, though the idea dates back to before I read the book.

The language I use at the moment is that a player (me or you) plays a proxy (the character within the far-off future setting where the economic ephemeralization has pushed them into lives of "farming gold") who in turn has a roster of characters to play.

It has a bit of a paranoia like mechanic in that when your characters get killed, they are permanently dead, but you can just "buy" a replacement off the character market at any given time. So sometimes the game just keeps rolling and rolling until you have a mountain of dead bards.
    I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • edited January 2012
    So, continuing my trend of acquiring obscure unfinished indie RPG's, I thought I would share my latest find, in the hopes that someone might get the bug to play it. My crazy-ass Burning Wheel game is taking up most of the time that I have to dedicate to playing games.

Wyrd, a game about Vikings and their mythology

Someone play this and tell me if it's good or not, please.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2012
    What the hell? That was mean and uncalled for. You have never met Luke. He's a nice person, albeit kind of socially awkward. I would say that you are the one being arrogant and cruel, lighting into someone like that. I'm not saying you have to like his voice or what he says, but that name-calling is overkill.
    In retrospect, that's a fair cop, I was a real prick to the guy for little reason and with no justification. It was definitely over the line - and to be honest, I feel a right cockhead for saying it. Just because he comes off badly the few times I've heard from him(well, in my opinion, at least) doesn't give me license to pass judgement on the guy - Yeah, pretty huge dick move there, and I should have kept my mouth shut. No matter my thoughts or mood at the time, they're utterly irrelevant it's real shitty to take it out on the guy. You're absolutely right to call me out on it, I apologize. I'll hold my tongue better, in future.

Post edited by Churba on
  • What the hell? That was mean and uncalled for. You have never met Luke. He's a nice person, albeit kind of socially awkward. I would say that you are the one being arrogant and cruel, lighting into someone like that. I'm not saying you have to like his voice or what he says, but that name-calling is overkill.
    In retrospect, that's a fair cop, I was a real prick to the guy for little reason and with no justification. It was definitely over the line - and to be honest, I feel a right cockhead for saying it. Just because he comes off badly the few times I've heard from him(well, in my opinion, at least) doesn't give me license to pass judgement on the guy - Yeah, pretty huge dick move there, and I should have kept my mouth shut. No matter my thoughts or mood at the time, they're utterly irrelevant it's real shitty to take it out on the guy. You're absolutely right to call me out on it, I apologize. I'll hold my tongue better, in future.

You could never be a US Senator with an attitude like that! Apologizing for a mistake?!
  • You could never be a US Senator with an attitude like that! Apologizing for a mistake?!
    I'd have to come up with a hell of a reason to become a US senator in the first place, I'd think. But bloody interesting if I did, though, and I would like to think I'd still cop it sweet when I fucked up, if for some insane reason and as a result of a ludicrous chain of events, I did become one.
  • You could never be a US Senator with an attitude like that! Apologizing for a mistake?!
    I'd have to come up with a hell of a reason to become a US senator in the first place, I'd think. But bloody interesting if I did, though, and I would like to think I'd still cop it sweet when I fucked up, if for some insane reason and as a result of a ludicrous chain of events, I did become one.
    I imagine that it would involve a series of hilarious disasters, each more hilarious than the last. At the end of the year, you're standing at a podium to introduce a bill about creating a mandatory game-playing day that occurs each week.
  • Thank you Churba. You are a reasonable and good person. I know how it is to come off poorly to people, and as I have talked to Luke I know that he's not really a jerk, so I just wanted to defend him.
  • Luke is totally a jerk - he's just our kind of jerk.
  • edited January 2012
    Most of us are jerks about certain things. But you can occasionally be a jerk and still be a cool person. I mean, there are plenty of very nice authors who have effectively told their fans "FUCK OFF with your story ideas." It's a perfectly justified statement once you understand how many letters they get with suggestions and what kind of legal trouble that can get them in. Luke Crane has much the same deal with his own creations. If you tell him to do something to his game system, he might tell you to fuck off. That should be expected.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    One day I hope to actually have something to share with people, but damn it's a lot of work to go from "something I can run for my friends" to "something someone else can run for their group". I have far too many intuitions and assumptions that I don't need to write down for myself. Hopefully sometime after PAX East I might have a playtest doc or something to share.
  • edited January 2012
    Thank you Churba. You are a reasonable and good person. I know how it is to come off poorly to people, and as I have talked to Luke I know that he's not really a jerk, so I just wanted to defend him.
    I'll cop to reasonable, at least. And as I said before, you were right to call me on it, I was a jackass.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Random slightly interesting thing if you still follow the new D&D thing and know of (like or dislike) Monte Cook.
    Last week I decided that I would leave my contract position with Wizards of the Coast. I am no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons, although I may provide occasional consultation in the future. My decision is one based on differences of opinion with the company. However, I want to take this time to stress that my differences were not with my fellow designers, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. I enjoyed every moment of working with them over the past year. I have faith that they'll create a fun game. I'm rooting for them.

Due to my non-disclosure agreement, as well as a desire to keep things on a professional level, I have no intention of going into further detail at this time. (Mostly, I just hate drama, and would rather talk about more interesting things.)

As for what I'll be turning to next, I hope you'll stay tuned. I plan on having an interesting announcement in that regard in the near future.
  • Wow. That's actually kinda big. He was a fairly large name, and a lot of people who were disappointed in 4th ed were happy he was back working on 5th.
  • Monte has been there and left before for what I imagine were similar reasons. I will say that I get highly annoyed with my friends that are big RPG nerds that hate on specific designers (some hate on Monte, others on Cordell, others on Mearls). Every one of those guys, when I've met them in person, has seemed a scholar and a gentleman.
  • Monte has been there and left before for what I imagine were similar reasons. I will say that I get highly annoyed with my friends that are big RPG nerds that hate on specific designers (some hate on Monte, others on Cordell, others on Mearls). Every one of those guys, when I've met them in person, has seemed a scholar and a gentleman.
    Ask them to name characteristics of specific designers. They probably can't.

• Ask them to name characteristics of specific designers. They probably can't.
    The hate is usually because some specific product has the authors name attached. Like Monte and 3rd Edition, or Cordell and the 3rd Edition Psionic's Handbook, or Mearls and 4th Edition. The whole thing is silly. "X" ruined their game or their perception of a game or something, therefore person "Y" is ebil. I love my fellow RPG nerds, but the most common varieties of nerdrage in the community is pure insanity. These are my people, and they are not my people.
  • I am very drunk. So drunk I'm probably posting this in the wrong thread.
  • So, the Playtest Packets for DnD Next are about to go out. You can still sign up to get one (you're assured of getting one, it's not a lottery or anything).
  • So, the Playtest Packets for DnD Next are about to go out. You can still sign up to get one (you're assured of getting one, it's not a lottery or anything).
    I have very little faith in their process. I was given an invite to their "friends & family" playtest several months ago, went through the ordeal of getting a group together, having them all sign NDAs, sent our packet in, and never heard a single word back from WotC.

I have very little faith in their process. I was given an invite to their "friends & family" playtest several months ago, went through the ordeal of getting a group together, having them all sign NDAs, sent our packet in, and never heard a single word back from WotC.

This is a non-NDA'd Public Playtest, though, so it shouldn't be as fuck-upable.
  • I'm currently involved in my first non-one-shot roleplaying game, a game of Mage: the Awakening. It's interesting, and I'm starting to learn to do very sneaky things by manipulating peoples' minds.
    Well, you can sign up, or you can "acquire" the packet from someplace.
  • The Dungeon World kickstarter is underway—there's five days left. Imagine a pre-3e D&D experience but using modern game design, quick character and group creation (minutes), and minimal GM prep. That's Dungeon World.

Also, the game has been released under the Creative Commons and the source files are on github.
  • So... I'm kind of crazy and have been reading Rifts source books instead of novels or anything useful before bed. It strikes me as odd that this universe hasn't gotten as much mainstream love as some others. The universe is very, very well realized and while some of the rules are strange (there is a definite power creep in the later books), the system itself isn't that difficult to use.

It just seems to me that the biggest problem with the entire system is the sheer amount that has been written for it. The core rule book is immense, but most of that is fluff intermixed with rules. There are rules for just about everything, but most of that would rest on the GM's shoulders and not the players.

Anyway, has anyone played a Rifts game? I've been thinking of starting up a Play by Post game on some forum somewhere, but don't want to put the time in if there's no interest.
  • After about 21 sessions and little over a year our Amber campaign has ended. It was my first ever long rpg campaign. All others have ether ended soon after starting or have been planned for short campaigns from the beginning.
  • Your next campaign should be about the ether ending.
  • Ad hoc'd a Cthulhu session with my bros the other night and they loved it. Writing the next session right now.
  • Ad hoc'd a Cthulhu session with my bros the other night and they loved it. Writing the next session right now.
    Which Thulhu?