This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I am shocked and appalled... (role playing general conversation)

Comments

• Chaosium, 6E. I'd like to run something on GUMSHOE with them; maybe next campaign.
  • Chaosium, 6E. I'd like to run something on GUMSHOE with them; maybe next campaign.
    If by GUMSHOE you refer to the Trail of Cthulhu, I've heard good things about it. Played even a very bare bones version in one shot once. Don't know too much about it, but I at least like the Pillars of Sanity idea.

• edited June 2012
    I was so pissed off when I found out that Gumshoe was already the name of an RPG! I had to rename my cyberpunk/noir setting "Hardboiled" :(
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Yeah, GUMSHOE is Trail's system. Pillars of Sanity make a lot more sense narrativistically than Chaosium's Crazy Points.
  • I was so pissed off when I found out that Gumshoe was already the name of an RPG! I had to rename my cyberpunk/noir setting Hardboiled :(
    That's not a bad name for that at all.
  • I was so pissed off when I found out that Gumshoe was already the name of an RPG! I had to rename my cyberpunk/noir setting "Hardboiled" :(
    And someone already grabbed TechNoir.
  • edited July 2012
    So, I just snagged the reprinted Gygax Memorial AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide. These things are pretty high quality. Nice paper, nice covers, sewn-in bookmarks, and generally high quality production. I think best of all is, except for updating the copyright information on the title page to include WotC and Hasbro, they didn't change anything. There's no forward or afterword by Monte Cooke or Dave Merels or any of the other current DnD guys. Just literally all the words Dave and Gary put on paper 32 years ago, nothing more or less. It's even still got all the awesome old-style DnD artwork.

EDIT: "As this book is the exclusive precinct of the DM, you must view any non-DM player possessing it as something less than worthy of an honorable death."
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited July 2012
    A couple of the DMs from my FLGS talk about DMing and DnD and specifically First Ed for over an hour. It's some pretty awesome stuff (and they name-check me, so ego +1 on that).

Post edited by Neito on
  • If anyone has comments or suggestions on Murder Mystery games to acquire, I'm interested. I'm running one this month. I figure my bajillion hours of GMing experience will help, but I'm somewhat looking for a good "kit" that doesn't require too much prep on the players part and I can scale to the number of people that show up (anywhere from 10 to 25 possibly).
  • My Pathfinder campaign is at 13th level and there are SOOO many crazy monsters I never have busted out before to chuck at them. It's definitely bringing back some childhood RPG "oooh" and "aaahhh" about what sort of minor godlings and horrible behemoths I can throw in.
  • I'm throwing a 15th level 99 year old ronin at my party. The guy has been trapped in the First World for the last 75 years.
  • I'm in mourning. I recently moved and left behind a great, solid RPG group. Trying to find a new one is going to be tough enough let alone one to match it.
  • I'm going to piece together a "delicious" game of Dread set in Jamestown.
  • I have decided. PAX Prime 2013 is going to be all about tabletop RPGs, mostly of the indie persuasion.
  • MEH! No Eclipse action with Jeremy and myself?

POOP.
  • I have decided. PAX Prime 2013 is going to be all about tabletop RPGs, mostly of the indie persuasion.
    Welcome! You should also check out Games on Demand for both running and playing games.

Unfortunately, I don't see Prime happening for me this year.
    Welcome! You should also check out Games on Demand for both running and playing games.

Unfortunately, I don't see Prime happening for me this year.
    Games on Demand is my plan.
  • A few weeks ago Rym was wondering if there are any good cyberpunk RPGs. I just saw this this morning:
    Always/Never/Now is live and free as of today.

Based in part on John Harper's Lady Blackbird, A/N/N is 100+ pages of cyberpunk action/adventure for the incredible, regrettable price of FREE.

This is the project I Kickstarted some time ago, based on characters and adventures from 17 years of play. The whole thing grew beyond my expectations and launched a year-long playtesting process that taught me a lot. Today, the project is free for you to download. I hope you find stuff to like in it.

Have at it: Always/Never/Now at DriveThruRPG
  • edited May 2013
    A few weeks ago Rym was wondering if there are any good cyberpunk RPGs. I just saw this this morning:
    I take it Rym (or you for that matter) have either never played or didn't think too highly of R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk?
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • A few weeks ago Rym was wondering if there are any good cyberpunk RPGs. I just saw this this morning:
    I take it Rym (or you for that matter) have either never played or didn't think too highly of R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk?
    So many memories.

I'm going to look at A/N/N, because it's fucking free. Can't argue with that price.

• I just want Torchbearer in my hands NOW.
  • I just want Torchbearer in my hands NOW.
    I am starting to get a bunch of bearers in preparation.
  • I am starting to get a bunch of bearers in preparation.
    You know I'm down with the Torchbearer. Should be getting my copy at Burning Con.
  • we can do a game night of Tourchbearer Coldguy!
  • I've ordered Torchbearer, but I'm honestly not craving it. If I'm going to crave an RPG, it's going to be more Dread or Fiasco right now.
  • That's cool, I crave it hard enough for both of us.
  • I just started a Mouse Guard game.

I'm curious to hear your opinion on ANN, pence. My scifi needs are mostly covered by FreeMarket, Paranoia, and (TBD) Shock/Human Contact, but none of those are cyberpunk. Shadowrun doesn't do anything for me—interesting setting, terrible mechanics.
    Unless I can hack together a system for a super-hero game I'll be starting a Mouse Guard campaign next week. Not too fond of the session structure, GM/player turns mechanic, but otherwise I love it.

Unless I can hack together a system for a super-hero game I'll be starting a Mouse Guard campaign next week. Not too fond of the session structure, GM/player turns mechanic, but otherwise I love it.
    The Players' Turn is what makes Traits work. I'm familiar with the game, but I'm curious how my players deal with it—this is unlike most of the games they've played. We ran through an argument conflict, and it was awesome watching them get into it.