This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

edited June 2012 in Technology

Coming out next year, I/O attendees will be able to purchase for $1500 (great price IMO)

It's coming.

Comments

• Does that mean non-I/O attendees will pay more than $1500?
  • edited June 2012
    No, they just get early access. If I understand correctly, they just get to pre-order first and get the first shipments.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No, they just get early access. If I understand correctly, they just get to pre-order first and get the first shipments.
    Whew.
  • wait, so where is the hud view, I want it to tell me my elevation and rate of free fall as well as time for optimum parachute deployment.

/lame.
  • wait, so where is the hud view, I want it to tell me my elevation and rate of free fall as well as time for optimum parachute deployment.

/lame.
    There'll be an app for that maybe.

/lame.
    I agree, it's lame that they didn't really give any expectation of what the user sees in that video. I'm still confident the finished product will be amazing, but feel teased.

• edited June 2012
    They did a live google hangout via glass while skydiving during the presentation. The video isn't posted yet though.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited June 2012
    They did a live google hangout via glass while skydiving during the presentation. The video isn't posted yet though.
    Yeah, but if it has the full G+ hangout interface on there, that is pretty bad. Just make one prototype glass with HDMI output or something. Or maybe put a camera in the eyeball of a mannequin and calibrate it. The fact that they haven't shows that they are hiding something that is very ugly at this stage of the game.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • They did a live google hangout via glass while skydiving during the presentation. The video isn't posted yet though.
    Yeah, but if it has the full G+ hangout interface on there, that is pretty bad. Just make one prototype glass with HDMI output or something. Or maybe put a camera in the eyeball of a mannequin and calibrate it. The fact that they haven't shows that they are hiding something that is very ugly at this stage of the game.
    The Verge has a photo liveblog of the presentation. Doesn't look like they ever show the user's view in that live skydive, just the G+ hangout interface on actual computers.

Reading on Verge and TechCrunch, the purpose of the event is to get app developers on board to use this HUD. We weren't shown anything because as of right now, there's nothing to see.

Streaming video from a camera is old news, even if the camera is mounted on my glasses. I want to be surprised with innovative uses for the HUD. I want this to change how I operate on a daily basis in ways I did not anticipate.

• I can't tell you how bad I want to get my hands on one of these and do some research with it. This device is so perfectly in tune with my research interests it's not even funny.
  • I don't care if it's a garbage device. I've been waiting for augmented reality for almost 20 years. I'll dive in day one on the first commodity implementation and go from there.
  • I drew my line on price at $1000. Unless I come upon an amazing windfall, I'll wait.
  • edited June 2012
    One of the articles I read had a quote from Brin suggesting $1500 is well above the target release price.

Unless there's a killer use they haven't announced yet, I'll probably wait for the second generation as I do with most new tech.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • No, they just get early access. If I understand correctly, they just get to pre-order first and get the first shipments.
    Whew.
    Whew? Don't you have infinite money and no time?
    Whew.
    Whew? Don't you have infinite money and no time?
    I have extra money, not infinite money. If I had infinite money, you probably would not hear from me.
  • These look significantly less ugly than the prototypes. Color me excited!
  • edited June 2012
    Ironically, the song is by a band called We Were Promised Jetpacks.

Quiet Little Voices - 256kbps MP3 here.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I don't care if it's a garbage device. I've been waiting for augmented reality for almost 20 years. I'll dive in day one on the first commodity implementation and go from there.
    Google hasn't showed us any augmented reality. They showed us a camera attached to your face with a screen for your eye that plays it back. I'm optimistic, but what Google showed us yesterday isn't what we've been hoping for.
    Google hasn't showed us any augmented reality. They showed us a camera attached to your face with a screen for your eye that plays it back. I'm optimistic, but what Google showed us yesterday isn't what we've been hoping for.
    Yeaaap.

• Yeah its a really great idea to have an advertising company augmenting your reality.
  • Yeah its a really great idea to have an advertising company augmenting your reality.
    The smart people will find a way to block the ads, or at the very least be able to tune them out. I don't mind having to tolerate a small amount of advertising if it is subsidizing other areas of my life. No such thing as a free lunch.

The smart people will find a way to block the ads, or at the very least be able to tune them out. I don't mind having to tolerate a small amount of advertising if it is subsidizing other areas of my life. No such thing as a free lunch.

I'm willing to tolerate ad supported free services, but advertising directly onto my field of vision via HUD is more than I'm willing to accept.
  • C'mon, Google isn't THAT evil.
  • C'mon, Google isn't THAT evil.
    Evil is a kind of pointless thing to call any company, but google makes all their billions from advertising and personal information. I can't see why they wouldn't factor profit into the new device. And I wouldn't expect giant ass pop ups, but transpose the effects of SEO, sponsored, and personalized results on your Google searches into how accurate glass' displayed information will be.

You should read the first two chapters of my novel Minding Tomorrow for a good exploration of that very idea, from two points of view. It's even been referenced by an academic writing on the subject of "The Economy of Attention" or something similar.

http://www.lukeburrage.com/mindingtomorrow.html
  • I thought the first bit of "Accelerando" by Charles Stross did a pretty good job with it, though from a different perspective.
  • edited February 2013
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Ok now Glass is looking like something I will buy day one and google will be my master....
  • I don't think I can bear the cost for pre-release test hardware, same reason I wasn't paying hundreds for an Oculus Rift, but count me in for day 1 of the legit full release.