This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Powerline Ethernet

Has anyone had any experience with these networking devices? Basically, they turn your home electrical wiring into a non-wireless notwork.

Comments

• They mostly suck. If your wiring isn't really, really clean, you'll run into trouble.

Better going with good wireless or having me come up and help you run cables through the walls or under the carpet. ;^)
  • I've heard that sometimes there are issues with interference, but I've never use it myself.
  • We go with the draped cable look in our house.
    Drop ceiling?
  • Cable channels along the walls by the floor work well. Pressing cables into the edges of carpet works too. Going through the walls is best. I think I have a few hundred feed of plenum grade cat5e lying around for just this purpose.
    Drop ceiling?
    No, there's cable hanging in the stair well. :P
  • Powerline works fine for internet stuff. Doesn't drop and the latency is good. Not sure how the transfer rates fare but Churba lived in a house where it hooked up the Xbox where wireless couldn't reach and didn't have any problems.
  • If running CAT-5E or CAT-6 through your walls isn't an option (or is too much of a pain in the ass) and you've already got TV coax running through your walls, MoCA works quite well. It's how I got my house wired up, mostly because running Ethernet up to the second floor was too much of a pain but coax had already been run.
  • Powerline works fine for internet stuff. Doesn't drop and the latency is good. Not sure how the transfer rates fare but Churba lived in a house where it hooked up the Xbox where wireless couldn't reach and didn't have any problems.
    Yeah, never had any problems. Signal was strong, low-noise, it was fine.

• Has anyone had any experience with these networking devices? Basically, they turn your home electrical wiring into a non-wireless notwork.
    My girlfriend's parents' house needs this for two rooms where the wifi doesn't reach. I've used it many times without any problems. In regards to what Rym wrote, the house is only 3 years old, so the wiring and power is pretty clean.
  • House I live in was built in the 80's. And I use Netgear powerline for my Xbox in the living room. I haven't had any kind of connectivity issues. It worked quite well.
  • edited June 2012
    Whenever the wireless doesn't reach, I just set up another router as a relay. Or crank up the signal. Or both.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Drop ceiling?
    If I had this in my home, I'd intentionally leave the wires hanging out, screw up some of the tiles, and leave charcoal drawings up in the real ceiling.
  • I live in a log house. The exterior walls are 8 inch thick, solid knotty pine with railroad spikes holding them together. With the exception of the grounded electrical lines installed in the late 70s as the house was being built by my father, all the lines are run either along the floor or as close to the rafters as I can get them, with heavy duty staples.

They're FAIRLY invisible...
  • I have so many friends who game on wireless setups and it boggles my mind. I offer over and over to wire them up and they refuse. >_<
  • Once of the nice side-effects of switching to FiOS is, at least in my area, their native wire protocol is MoCA over coax, not Ethernet. This means that the FiOS router is also a MoCA-to-Ethernet/wireless bridge. The router also doles out IPs over all 3 protocols without prejudice. Therefore, to get network gaming in my living room, all I had to do is get a second MoCA-to-Ethernet bridge, plug the bridge into a hub, and plug the hub into my various gaming devices. Wired speed for less than it would probably have cost to actually run CAT5e or CAT6 since the house already was wired with coax.
  • Once of the nice side-effects of switching to FiOS is, at least in my area, their native wire protocol is MoCA over coax, not Ethernet. This means that the FiOS router is also a MoCA-to-Ethernet/wireless bridge. The router also doles out IPs over all 3 protocols without prejudice. Therefore, to get network gaming in my living room, all I had to do is get a second MoCA-to-Ethernet bridge, plug the bridge into a hub, and plug the hub into my various gaming devices. Wired speed for less than it would probably have cost to actually run CAT5e or CAT6 since the house already was wired with coax.
    I hate you. I hate you so very much Lou.

Not really but I really wish Verizon would put Fios in my town.
  • I hate you. I hate you so very much Lou.

Heh, I understand. I was waiting with baited breath for when FiOS was available in my town too. For a while they had FiOS phone and internet but not TV.
  • I hate you. I hate you so very much Lou.

Heh, I understand. I was waiting with baited breath for when FiOS was available in my town too. For a while they had FiOS phone and internet but not TV.
    I would be fine with that. The Internet is already pretty much my TV.
  • I would be fine with that. The Internet is already pretty much my TV.
    My wife and I are still a little too old-fashioned to cut the cord completely and rely only in the Internet for TV -- especially since she works from home and likes having the TV on as "background noise" while she does her job.
  • I would be fine with that. The Internet is already pretty much my TV.
    My wife and I are still a little too old-fashioned to cut the cord completely and rely only in the Internet for TV -- especially since she works from home and likes having the TV on as "background noise" while she does her job.
    That's like.. listening to the radio... *gasp*
  • I love my U-Verse. I did not love the 9 days and 8 technicians it took to get it installed properly. My wife almost left me.
  • That's like.. listening to the radio... *gasp*
    Except that radio has even less variety on it these days. :P

• That's why I have Sirius, although the price is getting way too high.
    The only thing I would leave running on TV would be How it's made. I can think of nothing else...
    The only thing I would leave running on TV would be How it's made. I can think of nothing else...
    I can see that... I like that show too for the same reason. My wife's not a fan though.

• My wife and I are still a little too old-fashioned to cut the cord completely and rely only in the Internet for TV -- especially since she works from home and likes having the TV on as "background noise" while she does her job.
    My wife does the same, she leaves the tv on for background noise as well. We still cut the cord and she just streams netflix all day.

• My wife and I are still a little too old-fashioned to cut the cord completely and rely only in the Internet for TV -- especially since she works from home and likes having the TV on as "background noise" while she does her job.
    My wife does the same, she leaves the tv on for background noise as well. We still cut the cord and she just streams netflix all day.

She ran out of stuff she liked on Netflix after burning through Glee. :P
    How It's Made is on Netflix.

• That's why I have Sirius, although the price is getting way too high.
    Just had an idea for an app that scrapes sirius for what's playing and queues up the song on youtube.