This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I want to create something for the internet but I need advice!

edited June 2012 in Technology
I have decided that I want to create a professional wrestling 101 something or other. At first, I want to do a web page of some sort with lots of video clips. If I get any kind of response to it, I also plan on possibly doing a podcast around the idea, or at least making audio versions of each topic. My question to you, internet geniuses of the world, is this: What's the best place I can do this for free? Obviously, a plain static web page would be fine, but I have no idea what free web hosting is out there. A blog/tumblr(is there really a difference? I don't know) could work as each topic could be contained within a post, but then a person has to go to the last post to begin reading and that seems non ideal. A wiki could also work as long as I could keep an iron grip on who is allowed to make edits. What do you think? Is there an idea I haven't mentioned here that would be even better? I'd like a very flexible option or at least one I could edit easily so I could add things like more video or podcasts to an entry.

Comments

• If you do not have skills in the ways of the Internet, and you do not want to acquire them or pay money, just use tumblr.com or wordpress.com. Try them out and see which one you like best.

Also, I highly recommend not trying to customize like crazy from the get go. The defaults are way better than whatever you are going to come up with, so change as little as possible.
  • I don't plan on making things too fancy. I know how to do basic html but I shall try tumblr and wordpress. Thanks.
  • Sounds to me like you are less enthusiastic about creating a web site about wrestling, and more enthusiastic about creating a web presence as a wrestling expert. Spread the social networking across different sites - host the videos on Youtube, create a twitter account and follow some other wrestling enthusiasts, and host the videos and any other content on tumblr (and follow the tumblr spirit of sharing related content so it looks like you're more active). Only think about making your own web site, forum, wiki or whatever else you're interested in after you build some momentum and interest on other networks.
  • Oh heaven no, I'm not Dave Meltzer. I know relatively nothing about wrestling beyond the fan experience and all the inside stuff I know would just be parroting him. I don't think there's a really good reference site to go to if you're trying to get into wrestling, so I want to attempt to make it. It might spur Rym and Scott to do their pro wrestling episode finally ;). I'll worry about spreading word of it once I get it up and running.
  • Wrestling is acting + physical showmanship, what's not to like?

Well... actually... I find it fairly boring - but I still get it.

Pretty much. I don't watch it often, but I enjoy it when I do, for the corny but well-done acting, and the impressive physical feats.
  • I am interested in your plan, Hitman Hart, and I'm willing to help out or give you some ideas when I can. For better or for worse, I've been following wrestling for many years. It is to me what Initial D is to Scott.

People say that it's a soap opera for men, but I prefer the analogy that it's a live-action comic book. Larger than life figures in brightly colored costumes performing superhuman feats of strength, telling over-the-top stories that unfold in an episodic fashion.

In fact, many wrestlers nowadays are gamers and/or geeks themselves. One fairly prominent wrestler (Cody Rhodes) had a Triforce logo on his boots for many years, and replays Link to the Past at least once a year. And there is another wrestler who goes by the name Chris Sabin, who named his character after the martial artist from Final Fantasy 6. He used to call his finisher "The Bum Rush" and had a theme song that sounded oddly reminiscent of One-Winged Angel from FF7.

Not to derail the discussion into a wrestling thread, but there it is.
  • For anyone interested in this idea, what sort of things can I write in my guide to help you? What are you curious about?

Pretty much. I don't watch it often, but I enjoy it when I do, for the corny but well-done acting, and the impressive physical feats.
    Same here, though my interest waxes and wanes. I find it increases when I'm hanging around other people who are into wrestling, though.
  • Thanks UncleUlty. Feel free to go revive the old pro wrestling thread with any comments you'd like to make related to wrestling but not this concept.
  • I am interested in your plan, Hitman Hart, and I'm willing to help out or give you some ideas when I can. For better or for worse, I've been following wrestling for many years. It is to me what Initial D is to Scott.

People say that it's a soap opera for men, but I prefer the analogy that it's a live-action comic book. Larger than life figures in brightly colored costumes performing superhuman feats of strength, telling over-the-top stories that unfold in an episodic fashion.

In fact, many wrestlers nowadays are gamers and/or geeks themselves. One fairly prominent wrestler (Cody Rhodes) had a Triforce logo on his boots for many years, and replays Link to the Past at least once a year. And there is another wrestler who goes by the name Chris Sabin, who named his character after the martial artist from Final Fantasy 6. He used to call his finisher "The Bum Rush" and had a theme song that sounded oddly reminiscent of One-Winged Angel from FF7.

Not to derail the discussion into a wrestling thread, but there it is.
    I can't remember who said it or when, but I recall an intervew that was outside of the Kayfabe where one wrestler stated that a lot of the wrestlers play a lot of D&D on the road.

• WWE likes to claim that all of the wrestlers go to their hotel rooms and play video games. They certainly don't drink or do drugs. Nosirree Bob!
  • WWE likes to claim that all of the wrestlers go to their hotel rooms and play video games. They certainly don't drink or do drugs. Nosirree Bob!
    Oh, this guy was making no bones about that, they do go and party. He was talking about when they're literally on the road, like the travel time between events.

Oh, this guy was making no bones about that, they do go and party. He was talking about when they're literally on the road, like the travel time between events.
    Doesn't surprise me. When you work nights and spend a lot of time on the road, you have a lot of time to kill during the days when you're away from home. Jesse Ventura said that back when he was a wrestler he used to watch a lot of soap operas of all things.