This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Cards Against Humanity and Real Money Auction Houses

Comments

• No more than anyone asked you.
    If you want to pick a fight, pick it with someone else. I'm not fuckin' interested.

Also, I really like Thai Red Bull. It's really good.
    ?? It seemed like you were spoiling for a fight to me. I made an offhand remark in line with the conversation, you took it strangely personally, despite many very similarly offhand opinions being offered by others in the same vein that you did NOT take personally.

Now I'm confused.

No, that's just how Churba talks. He's an Aussie. They tend to sound like they're always ready to fight. Probably because their native flora and fauna are actively trying to kill them.

You'll know when he's mad.

• You'll know when he's mad.
    Imagine The Hulk, but poisonous.

• He's probably wrestling off the latest gympie-gympie-alligator-box-jellyfish-hunstman hybrid that's seeking blood and Australians.
    With huge spider legs.
  • Man I can't find a good version of that South Park Russell Crowe bit.
    With huge spiderrat legs.
    With huge spiderrat legs.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

• Also I didn't realize he was from New Zealand.
  • edited June 2012
    He's probably wrestling off the latest gympie-gympie-alligator-box-jellyfish-hunstman hybrid that's seeking blood and Australians.
    Don't be silly, those are harmless. It's the gympie-gympie-crocodile-box-jellyfish-redback that you have to watch out for. Well spotted that we don't actually have blood, though.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • He's probably wrestling off the latest gympie-gympie-alligator-box-jellyfish-hunstman hybrid that's seeking blood and Australians.
    Don't be silly, those are harmless. It's the gympie-gympie-crocodile-box-jellyfish-redback that you have to watch out for. Well spotted that we don't actually have blood, though.
    Fuck, I knew I messed something up. And it's kinda impossible to forget your anti-vampire tactics after you've told them once.
  • As a former light WoW player, I get why people use the Diablo 3 auction house. You may need the top gear to play on the harder settings. More importantly, you may want to be the "best" player in the group when you party up. It's all about looking good in a shared social context.
  • Here's another good RMAH horror story.

Here's the quote from the post:

"Basically I bid on something that showed $0.00 on the RMAH. I woke up this morning and it showed a bid for $149.99.

I called 70 something times over a few hours, finally got through and was on hold for 30 minutes with a 1 minute wait time the whole time (lol).

I spoke with Casey S, ticket number 28387111 (he put me on hold for liek 10 minutes), seemed like a decent guy, but his answer was completely crap. Basically he said they are completely hands off with the RMAH. He suggested that I put the item back up to try and make some money back. I politely argued with the guy for about 15 minutes, I know he can't do anything. But he literally told me that they are completely hands off with the AH, if there is a bug on their part they will not back anyone up.

I bid on an item with a display bug that showed $0.00, I used my AMEX. I end up with a $149.99 bid the next day. Guess I am going to call Amex and anyone else I can think of. This is literally fraud/theft.

Link to AH display bugs that I cited to Casey S., he said it doesn't matter.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911724289#5"

• AMEX will definitely refund the guy if he stops the payment, but the result of that might be Blizzard banning his account for not paying.
  • First, how did he pay for that? You have to choose to move money into your Battle.net account if you want to fund it via a credit card or some such. I don't know how the Paypal funding would work, but if that can just take unlimited funds from your bank account (which I sort of doubt) that would be a problem.

Whenever you "bid" on an item, $0.00 isn't possible. The minimum list price for an item is $1.25. You set a maximum bid in the settings, and the bid should not possibly be able to go over that. When you "bid" rather than "buyout" a thing, you always want to set a maximum price of the maximum amount you want to pay. What did he put in that box? I don't believe it would have accepted 0.00 given that the minimum item transaction is also $1.25.

So I'm confused by the whole thing. If there was some sort of technical issue on the display, that would be disconcerting... but the information there seems off on more than a few counts.
  • Paypal does similar shit.
  • When you bid on an item, the default starting amount is one increment above the current bid and you can adjust from there. According to the post, when he tried to bid, the starting value for him showed $0.00 on his end. However, it was actually one increment above the starting bid of 149.99 on blizzard's side. This display error is a known bug on blizzard's end but unless you are vigilante on their forums you wouldn't know.

As for paying for RMAH items, you can link paypal/debit/cc to your bnet account and have the appropriate funds pulled from there.
    AMEX will definitely refund the guy if he stops the payment, but the result of that might be Blizzard banning his account for not paying.
    Many people with similar issues have canceled payments made to Blizz. The result is that Blizz bans your bnet account. This includes forfeiting any Blizz Bucks you have and all other Blizz games attached to it. The poster in this case had several hundred in Blizz bucks so he would lose more money if he got his account banned.

I've read about people who canceled payment for trivial RMAH charges, allthough for legit reasons, and had their whole account (including years of WoW time invested) permanently banned.
  • Keep bringing on the stories, they are awesome, but let us not go without saying the most important lesson to learn here.

NEVER PAY TO WIN
  • The More You Know.
  • I think we need to rope people back towards this side of the fence. As a service to humanity, because Blizzard is getting worse than Diablo.
  • Hmm... I think I'll stick to emulated 8 and 16-bit games from now on then... It's the only way to be safe. :P
  • Hmm... I think I'll stick to emulated 8 and 16-bit games from now on then... It's the only way to be safe. :P
    Steam has usually been pretty good when I've had issues with their system as far as issuing refunds.
  • I think we need to rope people back towards this side of the fence. As a service to humanity, because Blizzard is getting worse than Diablo.
    Oh, it just keeps getting better, dude.

• I'm no longer a company man but....

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

Let me first disclaimer that I did exactly 2 minutes of investigative journalism here so I could be mistaken. Linux users appear to have to modify the game and its files fairly extensively. This being the case, I think Blizzard has every right to boot you the frack out. I don't completely agree, but I do see their stance.
  • I'm no longer a company man but....

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

Let me first disclaimer that I did exactly 2 minutes of investigative journalism here so I could be mistaken. Linux users appear to have to modify the game and its files fairly extensively. This being the case, I think Blizzard has every right to boot you the frack out. I don't completely agree, but I do see their stance.
    Entirely fair, I should have been less brief. This is more a rumbling of possible trouble, rather than actual trouble. I suspect once blizzard gets involved, rather than auto-reply bots for that type of ticket, it will either be resolved, or blow up.
  • Those are 99% likely human responses. Blizzard trains their staff to use PFRs (Pre-Formatted Responses) extensively even when I was there and staffing was plentiful. I cannot imagine how hard they are pushing them now. Granted, that essentially turns humans in to bots but they are still human, nonetheless. Bots were never used in my near 4 years there.

I will say that Blizzard just likes to stand by and do what it wants. If enough internal and external pressures mount, they will change policy. I can tell you that external pressure is immense on this but with no gauge of how they are looking at it internally anymore, I can't tell if anything is coming down the pipes.

My feeling is that at this moment, they could give a fuck.
  • edited July 2012
    My feeling is that at this moment, they could give a fuck.
    Interesting.

With the pressure coming down on them, I think the best thing they could do right now is get their ducks in a row behind the scenes on what this guy was doing first(of course, checking other cases later), and once they already have a solution, start to deal with it very publically, give the community something to eyeball at in the middle of the controversy, allowing them to look like they're trying to do the right thing and looking into the problem. Then, if this guy wasn't doing something that was allowed, bring the hammer down publically. If he wasn't, then solve his problem and chuck him a fuckin' t-shirt and a mousemat or something, y'know, the usual sort of "We're so sorry please be quiet now" Tchotchkes, and a little public show of good faith and/or goodwill.

Problem becomes advantage, and the victory in this bout of PR akido goes to Blizzard.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, I really don't understand why Blizzard insists on being jerks. It's one thing to have the RMAH in the first place. It's another thing entirely to be jerks on the customer service side of it. They already make a gazillion dollars on it. There's maybe less than 10 horror stories involving it. Why not make good on them? It would cost a relative pittance in terms of dollars, but get a ton of good customer relations.
    Steam has usually been pretty good when I've had issues with their system as far as issuing refunds.
    Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit. :) Although one advantage of those emulated games is that they still run perfectly fine on my el-cheapo laptop. :P