This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Newsletter

edited June 2012 in GeekNights

At GeekNights we already spread our content to every place on the web. Whether it's Facebook, Google+, or Twitter, we make our content available in the place you want to consume it.

As it turns out, there are still lots of people who like email. As a gift to those people we are proud to announce the GeekNights email newsletter.

We'll be sending out an e-mail blast on a bi-weekly-ish basis. It will contain links to our newest podcasts and videos, and previews of what we are working on. It will also remind you of upcoming convention appearances, the current book club selection, and other meta information. To entice people to subscribe, maybe we will put some bonus content in there once in awhile.

If you think we'll forget to send it, I'll have you know that I put a repeating reminder on my calendar. Watch out!

So go ahead and subscribe to the GeekNights Newsletter if you want to.

Source Link

Comments

• Well, now I know where one of you lives, which will make the stalking so much easier.
  • Well, now I know where one of you lives, which will make the stalking so much easier.
  • edited June 2012
    I want a newsletter that summarizes the forum happenings:
    And this week there was again a huuuge flame war on religion, the TOYD thread reached a record length of 5 billion posts when Scott accidentally ran a recursive script for changing youtube links, and the dating thread continues to be depressing and awkward.

Forum emoness at 45% (rising), young punks at 37% (rising), old fogeyness holding at 6%.

Rym's troll count for the week is 13 (7 verified) and Scott still compains a lot.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I want a newsletter that summarizes the forum happenings:
    And this week there was again a huuuge flame war on religion, the TOYD thread reached a record length of 5 billion posts when Scott accidentally ran a recursive script for changing youtube links, and the dating thread continues to be depressing and awkward.

Forum emoness at 45% (rising), young punks at 37% (rising), old fogeyness holding at 6%.

Rym's troll count for the week is 13 (7 verified) and Scott still compains a lot.
    We can do that.

• Ahaha, Timo, you are genius.
  • As someone who still visits the forum but mainly lurks and doesn't read everything, I second this.
  • That would be interesting. Of course, I'd then start trying to get into the newsletter every week.
  • Yeah, that's an awesome idea, Timo. Also worth mentioning is the current pony situation.
  • A smart forum digest would be interesting to see at least.
    Also worth mentioning is the current pony situation.
    No it's not.
  • Wait there is something on this site other then the forums?
  • Why did I read that newsletter announcement int he voice of Cave Johnson?
  • Everything is better in Cave Johnson's voice.
  • Someone needs to hack Microsoft Sam so it sounds like Cave Johnson.
  • Wait there is something on this site other then the forums?
    Than.

• If it wasn't against the forum rules, at this point I'd bring up the forum rules ^_~
  • edited July 2012
    If it wasn't against the forum rules, at this point I'd bring up the forum rules ^_~
    New exception. Correcting Scott Johnson's grammar is AOK. I should do a search of the database to count his then/than screw-ups. Maybe even calculate then/than screw-ups per user and see how he compares.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • We could have a metric next to our name that calculates the ratio between correct then/than usage and wrong then/than usage.
  • Someone needs to hack Microsoft Sam so it sounds like Cave Johnson.
    Cave Johnson here, It looks like you're trying to write a letter.
  • lol. i want all of this
  • Newsletter going to be all creative commons up ins?
  • Newsletter going to be all creative commons up ins?
    But of course. Forgot to add the logo, though. Will add it next time.
  • Put the newsletter on the web. Hand me an rss feed for it. Done.
    I don't know if mailchimp does that...
    This is a good idea actually. The idea of a newsletter feels pretty old-school, and I know that I check my RSS feeds quite a bit more than my mail out of habit. This would also guarantee that we always see them, and you don't have to even use an e-mail client or worry about who's on the list.
  • The newsletter is mostly just an aggregation of meta moment, some episode links, some forum thread links, book club reminder, etc. If you follow all the things elsewhere, it's mostly redundant.
  • The newsletter is mostly just an aggregation of meta moment, some episode links, some forum thread links, book club reminder, etc. If you follow all the things elsewhere, it's mostly redundant.
    it has an opportunity for the funny, the meta, and the revealing your perception.
    it has an opportunity for the funny, the meta, and the revealing your perception.
    Yeah, it has that. I wrote all the paragraphs of text that go along the things, and those paragraphs of text are not available anywhere else.
  • I've noticed a lot of other forums on the Internet have done a thing where they just take all the email addresses for their forum and subscribe everyone to the newsletter automatically. I feel this is kind of evil, but I also feel like it can bring us back in touch with a lot of people who once joined the forum, but have left. Also, unsubscribing actually works for real, and there has yet to be a single unsubscription from the newsletter.

Should do?
  • Go for it
  • Should do?
    I'd say don't do it. It doesn't matter if unsubscribing works for real, if person gets newsletters that they are not subscribed to begin with, it's potentially annoying. Sure there could be a person or two who have forgotten this place and would come back, but not a reason enough to give people something they didn't order.