This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• You picked two of his most difficult to try. NCFOM and The Road are renowned for being tough to read, even by McCarthy standards. Try Blood Meridian or All The Pretty Horses first.
    Huh. Interesting. I'll consider it the next time I decide to pick up a book.

• So after another Old School Kung Fu marathon in preparation for my panel at Connecticon I can safely say that the Shaw Brothers set the standard for 70s-80s kung fu movies. Shaolin Executioners, Five Deadly Venoms, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and Return to the 36th Chamber are all really high quality kung fu movies that everyone should check out. It also leads credence to my Greater Wu-Tang Clan Theory of Kung Fu movies, in which every movie referenced/sampled in a Wu-Tang Clan song or album is inherently high quality.
    Of those I have only seen Five Deadly Venoms. This will be corrected.
    Five Deadly Venoms is the least great on that list so you shouldn't be disappointed. The choreography on the others listed is much more sophisticated, though it is much less gimmicky.
  • I've only read Outer Dark and Child of God. His style is amazing though. While they are pretty twisted there is no denying the man has a way with words.
  • I saw Ted and it wasn't that bad. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot.

I guess that makes me a bad person.
  • So after another Old School Kung Fu marathon in preparation for my panel at Connecticon I can safely say that the Shaw Brothers set the standard for 70s-80s kung fu movies. Shaolin Executioners, Five Deadly Venoms, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and Return to the 36th Chamber are all really high quality kung fu movies that everyone should check out. It also leads credence to my Greater Wu-Tang Clan Theory of Kung Fu movies, in which every movie referenced/sampled in a Wu-Tang Clan song or album is inherently high quality.
    Of those I have only seen Five Deadly Venoms. This will be corrected.
    Out of those I've seen Five Deadly Venoms and 36th Chamber of Shaolin. I too have shame, but shall my shame be smaller than yours.
  • Finally saw The Transporter from beginning to end in its entirety. I remember seeing parts, but not the whole thing. Holy crap that oil slick scene at the bus station.
  • A Face in the Crowd, because Andy Griffith. It's a damn good movie, give it a look if you haven't. (It's also seasonally appropriate as it starts right after the 4th.)
  • edited July 2012
    I saw Ted and it wasn't that bad. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot.

I guess that makes me a bad person.
    Y'know I was utterly convinced that it was going to be horrible, but the more I see trailers for it it doesn't actually seem that bad.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • From what I have been told Ted is a funny movie ala Seasons 1 and 2 of Family Guy.
  • edited July 2012
    21 Jump Street is a movie where Ice Cube plays himself. And it is awesome.

About 15 minutes of the movie could be described as "Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum Awesome Movie Great Job!"
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm watching Indie Game: The Movie again and oh my god it is excellent. It's $10 DRM-free from their website or on Steam. At its core, it's an exploration of the power of a single-minded creative vision and how much risk and sacrifice is involved in order to achieve that vision. Anyone who does anything creative especially needs to see it.
  • Watched Independence Day for the first time. Really, what better way to celebrate America Day than with a movie glorifying committing genocide on aliens?

So yeah, if we ever actually get invaded by aliens, all we need to do is put Will Smith in charge of things and we will do just fine.
  • edited July 2012
    Watched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven on...some forum member's recommendation. It's really put me in the mood for some Crusader Kings II.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • edited July 2012
    Watched Independence Day for the first time. Really, what better way to celebrate America Day than with a movie glorifying committing genocide on aliens?

So yeah, if we ever actually get invaded by aliens, all we need to do is put Will Smith in charge of things and we will do just fine.
    #Ihateitduringsexwhen I'm about to finish and he screams "I AIN'T HEARD NO FAT LADY!"
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Watched Independence Day for the first time. Really, what better way to celebrate America Day than with a movie glorifying committing genocide on aliens?

I thought the aliens were genocidal against the humans in that movie. District 9 is where the humans were genociding the aliens.
  • I think the key word is "glorify." I guess ID4 did sort of glorify it, while D9 tried to make the audience feel bad about it.
  • The new Spiderman was better then expected.
  • I think the key word is "glorify." I guess ID4 did sort of glorify it, while D9 tried to make the audience feel bad about it.
    Self-defense. These aliens were not about to negotiate -- they stated their sole purpose was to wipe out the human race and then pillage the Earth for useful resources. Besides, they only blew up one alien mothership in that movie. That doesn't necessarily imply wiping out the entire race -- just their invasion force as we don't know if there are other alien motherships cruising around the universe. Calling that genocide is akin to calling the Battle of Britain genocide against the Germans.
  • edited July 2012
    I think that in ID4 the actual back-story somehow involved the aliens being a migratory species that goes around conquering and using up all the resources on a planet. I don't know whether or not it was their only such-ship, but I think it was slightly implied. I am actually highly surprised we never saw that turn into a terrible trilogy. Seems like it was made for it.

Edit: Wow. “The delay wasn’t about whether they both wanted to make the movie,” explains one insider, “It had more to do with ‘Whose dick is bigger?’"
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • The President said that "Their entire race moves from planet to planet, stripping each on of their natural resources before moving on." That may suggest that literally the entire surviving population of that alien race was present on the mothership that they blew up. The ships were pretty big.

Of course, the aliens were acting pretty American too, if you think about it.
    What about it would you say was one of its biggest strengths. My parents and I are gonna see it tonight and I'd be interested to know.

• The President said that "Their entire race moves from planet to planet, stripping each on of their natural resources before moving on." That may suggest that literally the entire surviving population of that alien race was present on the mothership that they blew up. The ships were pretty big.
    Don't read too deeply into it though. I mean, unless they wanted some sort of biological resources, it's much easier to just raid the asteroid belt, outer moons, Kuiper Belt, and Oort cloud for any usable natural resources. It's a stupid popcorn flick. :P Just turn off your brain and enjoy the ride. :P

Besides, as I said, it was self-defense with no other recourse.
  • Went to see Brave, and I really enjoyed it, except for the ending, not because of the movie itself, but because I had no idea what the 2nd half of the movie was about, and while I enjoyed it, going to see it with your friend whose mother is in the final stages of dying of cancer was not the best idea, and when she broke down crying almost hysterically, it put a damper on the movie going experience.
    What about it would you say was one of its biggest strengths. My parents and I are gonna see it tonight and I'd be interested to know.

It's more believable then most comic movies. I know that sounds weird, but the characters (heroes and villians) have more believable actions and motivations then in the other movies. Uncle Ben is great and you don't hear "With great power comes great responsibility" every 5 minutes.
  • Than.
    That!.
  • Safety Not Guaranteed - Great!
    Brave - Good.
    Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - Great!
    Perfect Blue - Fuck, man. Fuck.
    Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - Greaood!
    To Rome With Love - Greaood!
  • Ok for those who have seen The Amazing Spiderman, is the 3D worth it? I know it was filmed in 3D, so it's not crappy. I'm watching it today, so I'm trying to figure out which one to watch.
  • I just watched Inglorious Bastards. I don't know what to think about this movie. Was it supposed to be funny? Just violent? I don't quite get it.
  • I rarely find the 3D worth it in any movie that's not made by Pixar, but generally I do IMAX 3D and the combination is often worth it.

It was a mistake at Hunger Games, though. Shaky cam + 3D + IMAX = uugggghhh.