This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I just watched Inglorious Bastards. I don't know what to think about this movie. Was it supposed to be funny? Just violent? I don't quite get it.
    I think the movie is hilarious, but that's because I have a somewhat morbid sense of humour.

• I just watched Inglorious Bastards. I don't know what to think about this movie. Was it supposed to be funny? Just violent? I don't quite get it.
    I think the movie is hilarious, but that's because I have a somewhat morbid sense of humour.

I think it's hilarious, but I also find killing Nazi's endlessly hilarious (my dad is Jewish, so that probably factors into it).
    Something about "THE BEAR JEW" tickles me so.

I think it's hilarious, but I also find killing Nazi's endlessly hilarious (my dad is Jewish, so that probably factors into it).
    Something about "THE BEAR JEW" tickles me so.

"You each owe me 100 Nat-zi scalps, and boys: I WANT MY SCALPS!"
  • Amazing Spider-Man was better than I thought it would be. Then again, I had very very very low expectations for this one.
    I think the movie would have been better served without rehashing the origin story (I personally felt the origin part felt a lot like a paint-by-numbers version) and without any of the bits about Peter's parents.
    While the rest of the plot itself is standard super hero movie caliber; the superb acting still made it worthwhile to see. Andrew Garfield's snarky thug beating Spidey, Dennis Leary's constantly annoyed looking face, and Emma Stone's googly eyes.

Also, Aunt May felt completely disposable in this film. Didn't need her at all.
    I'd recommend it as a rental.
  • edited July 2012
    Crane Operators Save the Day: The Movie was better than I thought it would be. Then again, I had very very very low expectations for this one.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • No, it was Parkour teenage luchadores inspired guy who does moves from The Matrix and is saved by C. Thomas Howell, the amazing crane operator.

It was better than what I expected, but I went in with no expectations.

The best part of that movie: the scene towards the end where Gwen goes to visit Peter and she's wearing the coolest hat that I plan on figuring out how to knit.
  • I saw The Amazing Spider-Man a few days ago, and was blown away by it.

Slight confession I have to make beforehand, I was never terribly fond of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films. The main problem I had with them was almost entirely Tobey Maguire, he was not a good Spidey at all in my opinion. He was way too much of a milquetoast, angsty, and mopey dude than the actual character was supposed to be.
    Granted, he was a mediocre Peter Parker, but a totally unfaithful and boring Spider-Man.

Andrew Garfield was both a great Peter Parker and a great Spider-Man. As Parker, I liked how Garfield got down his awkwardness and word stumbling, instead of a sullen, borderline emo high school kid. What I loved the most was that the writers finally reinstated Spidey's machine gun, rapid fire wisecracks which was a glaring omission from Raimi's films. I thoroughly enjoyed Rhys Ifans' (best known as Xenophilius Lovegood in the Harry Potter films and Spike in Notting Hill) performance as Dr. Curt Connors/The Lizard. Emma Stone was wonderful as Gwen Stacy and, refreshingly, was not simply a damsel in distress like how Mary Jane was in the Raimi films.

I thought it was excellently shot, edited, designed, and directed. I like how real and genuine the emotional content of the film in terms of storyline and characterization. My only real complaint was that I was not a fan of how The Lizard looked, it just didn't seem believable to me, but that is a minor quibble I have which didn't really hinder my thorough enjoyment of the film.
  • I have watched "Boys on the run". It was very cathartic, but it had a good ending, and it felt kind of real.
  • The Amazing Spiderman was a pretty good film. I was pleasantly surprised.
  • edited July 2012
    How was the music in Spider-man?
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • The Amazing Spiderman was a pretty good film. I was pleasantly surprised.
    I really enjoyed it as well. My only real problem with it, though, is that they did a bit too much set up for Amazing Spider-Man 2.
  • Yeah. I think I'm only quite pleased because TAS Peter Parker reminds me a lot of myself.
  • I really liked the soundtrack, it felt classic and fresh at the same time. It made me remember of the soundtrack from "The Artist" a lot.
  • Yeah. I think I'm only quite pleased because TAS Peter Parker reminds me a lot of myself.
    I know how you feel.

Also, that scene where he asks Gwen out was super painful.
  • Took my mom to see a movie, she offered to pay but wanted to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

This is totally a comfort food movie for seniors. Uplifting and charming because you see British Actors who admittedly act and emote pretty well. Other than that, very dry and very tired humor. I was rather bored and yawned many times. Ending had various magical-like conveniences. It's a rental at best.

And, I was the youngest person in the theater by easily 30 years.
  • Crane Operators Save the Day: The Movie was better than I thought it would be. Then again, I had very very very low expectations for this one.
    Activision called Sony saying "hey, gamers are complaining that our extra 'beat the clock' side missions in our Spider-Man games are totally non-immersive and aren't really in the movies. We need you to fix that."

And they did. :-p
  • Saw Amazing Spider-Man. Decent movie but felt unneeded and forgetable. I hope Dark Knight Returns doesn't disappoint.
  • I hope Dark Knight Returns doesn't disappoint.
    That's a good comic.
  • I hope Dark Knight Returns doesn't disappoint.
    That's a good comic.
    Yep, Dark Knight Rises. My mistake.
  • Bing
    That's what my friends and I were saying.
  • Bing
    That's what my friends and I were saying.
    I just laughed out loud at that.
    It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad.
  • Saw The Amazing Spiderman. Surprisingly...really ended up hating it.

The plotholes, the pacing, the character motivation, the editing, is all really bad and just makes everything feel soulless or obnoxiously angsty. So much of the movie is left unexplained and simply built up as sequel bait or destined to make it a trilogy. However, this movie doesn't stand up on it's own because you never root for Peter Parker. Not to mention that so much of the film or character interaction becomes unraveled when you apply any realistic pressure to it.

For the record, I liked Spiderman 1, loved Spiderman 2, disliked Spiderman 3. The one benefit I can give this movie, is that the acting is indeed much better, especially with their interpretations of Uncle Ben, The Lizard, and Cpt. Stacy. Other than that, everything else is so bad and I just left the movie not caring for anyone, and felt like it was trying to hard to be desperately artistic, gritty, serious and falling flat on it's face.
  • Did anyone else think of Fusiform gyrus during the scenes of Doc Connors looking at his missing arm?
  • Did anyone else think of Fusiform gyrus during the scenes of Doc Connors looking at his missing arm?
    Yes.
  • Buckaroo Banzai is so good.
  • Buckaroo Banzai is so good.
    I wish I was a Hong Kong Cavalier.

• This weekend was the FFF: Friendly Film Festival my friends and I have been doing for a year now. We do it once a month and a person chooses two movies to show, to where they have some sort of relation to the other.

This weekend my friend told us that when we're watching the first movie there should be a moment in the movie where we should be able to guess what the second movie was.

Our first movie was Chronicle. It was enjoyable and I liked how it was a documentary.

Towards the end, at the hospital scene, where the windows blow up and they are screaming names, we easily guessed that the next movie is Akira.

I haven't seen that movie in ages. We watched the dubbed version with Vash the Stampeded as Kaneda and Young Knives as Tetsuo. The movie still holds up to being one of those anime movies that is a must see for anime fans.

It also made us realize how much Chronicle is very similar to the movie, and if anything Chronicle is a great example of if you were to do a live action Akira, that's how you fucking do it.