This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• So only my 5 old trades are no good? I am punished for not being late to the party? Typical comic book industry.
  • So only my 5 old trades are no good? I am punished for not being late to the party? Typical comic book industry.
    DC has a habit of doing that.
    Or in their minds, you should have bought the individual issues and not trade-waited.

But yes, it does seem particularly stupid to punish your customers and force them to wait for special editions rather than support the comic as it's coming out. Maybe if things like this didn't happen, Gotham Central would have had better sales and would have lasted longer.

With the rise of deluxe and special editions, I'm sometimes going beyond trade-waiting. I'm deluxe-waiting. Why should I buy the single issues? And why should I buy the trades when I can wait even longer (I have such a backlog of other comics/books/games that I don't really care) and get a deluxe edition with over-sized art, missing issues filled in, sketches, creator commentary etc.

Honestly, I don't understand how this business model can stay viable much longer.

• Dororo by Osamu Tezuka might be the most awesome thing I've ever read. I also picked up The Book of Human Insects, but it didn't quite measure up to Ode to Kirihito and MW.
  • I blazed through the first 4 issues of Saga today. Wow. This comic is good and has become only the second comic that I will read in single issues (along with the Unwritten). I love the world they've created, the characters are interesting, and the art is gorgeous.

Like Ro said earlier, this is a comic that everyone should be reading. Now I should really go back and read all those Ex Machina collected editions I have that I haven't gotten around to yet...
  • Also if you have a graphic imagination and mind, don't eat when reading Saga. I've made that mistake twice.

But seriously, the races and lifeforms they made are something else.
  • But seriously, the races and lifeforms they made are something else.
    The robots with the TV heads are probably my favorites so far. I love how the face/screen will change depending on what the robot is thinking. Also The Stalk was pretty creepy.

The robots with the TV heads are probably my favorites so far. I love how the face/screen will change depending on what the robot is thinking. Also The Stalk was pretty creepy.
    Indeed. I was not expecting that. I also like who they refer to bounty hunters with the tile "The". Also that sex planet. Those greeters. The fuck?
    Indeed. I was not expecting that. I also like who they refer to bounty hunters with the tile "The". Also that sex planet. Those greeters. The fuck?
    Yeah the greeters were just creepy.

Also, your comment about the sex planet reminded me how surprised I am at how graphic Saga is in terms of language and sex. I've been reading Vertigo for years and those comics have been using swear words, but I don't remember any Vertigo comic showing sex acts and genitalia as explicit as Saga does. I don't particularly care, but I was surprised that an Image comic would go that far. I need to go back and see if there's a mature content warning on Saga because I could totally see some parent freaking out when little Jimmy or Jenny comes running in showing mommy or daddy a picture of two guys humping some 6-legged cat alien.

• I didn't see a warning on the Comixology app, but yeah it's pretty damn graphic with the sex as well as violence/dead.

Image also released the first few trades of Powers, and that's pretty graphic. Now Icon releases Powers, so the graphic stuff from Image is nothing new to me.
  • I didn't see a warning on the Comixology app, but yeah it's pretty damn graphic with the sex as well as violence/dead.

Image also released the first few trades of Powers, and that's pretty graphic. Now Icon releases Powers, so the graphic stuff from Image is nothing new to me.
    Yes, it's all true.

Saga is fantastic.

Is there any way to know when a new issue is due? I check my iPad every night. And that is just silly.

• Their website says next week for #5 and #6 in August.
    Ta.

Saga almost warrants it's own thread.

Almost. :)

• Nurse Nurse is the shit and you should all be reading it.
    Seriously, guys. Nurse Nurse is soooooo goooood.
  • edited July 2012
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Nausicaä box set for $35.
    How is VIZ's translation of that? I am not fond of several of their translations so I am a unsure if that is worth picking up.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2012
    Nausicaä box set for $35.
    How is VIZ's translation of that? I am not fond of several of their translations so I am a unsure if that is worth picking up.
    Speaking as someone who owns all the volumes, they are very well-translated and are written by someone with imagination (as opposed to the very badly translated Kiki's Delivery Service books) which allows both the images and the words to integrate seamlessly. Buy them.

Post edited by Geo on
  • A new Sandman prequel with art by J. H. Williams lll?

News here: http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/07/12/sdcc-2012-new-neil-gaiman-sandman-with-j-h-williams-iii/

Promo cover art:
  • edited July 2012
    Shut up and take my money Katie Cook ponies. It's on record that I called it on IDW being publisher due to their existing Hasbro licenses.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Question for the Superman readers. I always support the comics for the DC Animated movies I enjoy. Can anyone tell me if the comics from which "Superman Versus The Elite" was adapted from is any good? I believe they're called "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" of the Action Comics series. Don't want to blind buy them.
  • Question for the Superman readers. I always support the comics for the DC Animated movies I enjoy. Can anyone tell me if the comics from which "Superman Versus The Elite" was adapted from is any good? I believe they're called "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" of the Action Comics series. Don't want to blind buy them.
    It was issue 775 of Action Comics, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" was the name of the story. It was based on a single issue. You can try to find that comic or it is also in both of these.
    Justice League Elite: Volume 01
    Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Volume 1
  • So this Deadpool vs. Comic-con video has convinced me I should read Deadpool. Question is, where do I start and what should I read?

• So this Deadpool vs. Comic-con video has convinced me I should read Deadpool. Question is, where do I start and what should I read?
    I know a guy who will sell you every dead pool floppy that's just about ever been for about $400 Canadian (depending on the cost of shipping)
  • Not interested. Only interested in knowing which trades to read. There are a lot out there.
  • You shouldn't read Deadpool. Deadpool is a silly character, but his comics really aren't that good. If you really insist, there are five or so volumes of Deadpool Classic you can get.

Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1

There is also a series called Deadpool & Cable, which is more recent.

Deadpool & Cable Ultimate Collection - Book 1

There are also Deadpool comics that are brand new and ongoing, but you really don't want to read them. They are just for Deadpool fanboys. Well, all Deadpool comics are for Deadpool fanboys, even the first one ever.
  • See, I don't mind silly. I could use some silly. Thanks.
  • edited July 2012
    The Udon Deadpools are the best Deadpools. You should maybe also get Agent X if you like them. I don't think it was ever collected into a trade, so torrents may be your only source.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Those comics aren't silly enough to stand out among non-superhero-comic media. Deadpool is hilarious... in the context of that world. Outside of it, he's middle-of-the-road silly.
  • edited July 2012
    I rarely read any superhero comic, so I wouldn't mind adding this as an excepetion. I never said I was buying. ;^)

Plus with all the Pinkie Pie x Deadpool mashups, it had me intrigued. I mean, this is one of my rotating wallpapers.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The Deadpool at CT-con in the German barmaid's outfit was something...