This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Prometheus

edited July 2012 in Movies
So, great movie. Scott and Giger have once again put the fear of something-is-going-to-jump-into-my-facehole-and-impregnate-me into me. Some of those critters probably live in Australia. But as the movie sits in my head, I have questions, and I wonder if any of you who saw it have the same:
- Why did the first progenitor they show drink the horrible black goo? Was that Earth and is it implied that he/it kicked off life on the planet?
- The black goo causes the mutation into horrible biological monsters hell-bent on reproducing...so why did the geologist who got a face full of the stuff turn into a murdering rampage monster and not try to reproduce?
- Shaw states at the end that the progenitors were headed to Earth with ship-loads of horrible black goo, but 'changed their minds'. Judging by the behavior of the one they found alive, it doesn't seem like they intended to spare the Earth at all.
- Is the movie implying that the progenitors created the Earth as a sort of experiment with the goo and all life came from it, and that they were coming back to clean up their 'mess'?
- Why was there one still alive after being in the same ship as the bio-weapon, one room away, with no apparent seals or protections?
- Did ALL the ships on the planet have the bio-weapon in it? If they do, why the hell would Shaw risk using one of them since clearly the canisters are unstable?

I'm interested to hear what you guys thought.
Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on

Comments

• Not this again...
  • Just read this. It explains it all.

I didn't bother reading the previous Promoetheus discussion, but judging from Andrew's post, it was the same here as everywhere else on the internet: some people loved it, some people hated it, and both feel the need to violently defend their tastes.
  • Violently?

The movie wasn't worth vitriol on either side. Neither was Avengers. But look at how crazy everyone got when I said it was an "OK" movie. ;^)
  • I'm waiting eagerly for Avengers on Netflix.
  • Violently?

The movie wasn't worth vitriol on either side. Neither was Avengers. But look at how crazy everyone got when I said it was an "OK" movie. ;^)
    Well, the use of "violently" is hyperbole to be sure, but boy did my Twitter feed get rocked for a good four or five days by people who had their panties in a bunch over this film.

• edited July 2012
    I got major hype-backlash from Prometheus. I went in expecting it to be pretty good, and the first third of the movie promised a deep, interesting sci-fi movie, almost at the level of Blade Runner or 2001. Then magical space goo happened and it very suddenly turned into a somewhat above-average body-horror movie and then a monster movie, neither of which I cared about, to the point that midway through the movie I was actually bored. I'm still kind of upset when I think that I paid fourteen dollars to see that movie.

Considered as a monster movie or a body-horror movie, Prometheus was somewhat above average.
    Considered as a science fiction movie, Prometheus is stupid and bad.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited July 2012
    I already stated my thoughts. A bit of good, a bit of bad, all in all I'm glad I saw it in the theater. If you check out "What movie have you seen" thread you can see a ton of chatter about the film.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I would have happily sat there for 2 hours watching nothing but 3D hologramatic displays.

The actual movie was just a bonus.
  • edited July 2012
    Oh seriously. Those HUDs were amaaazing!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I rarely make it out to the theater anymore but I am so glad I saw this in IMAX 3D. I talked a lot of crap on Avatar fans who said that movie was worth it for visuals alone, but I find myself using their argument here. Even if you groaned at the plot of Prometheus, it was worthwhile for the cinema experience.
  • I especially like any cool depiction of GUIs these days because I know that somewhere, someone is saying, "I can't wait to get back in the lab and start building that."
  • I especially like any cool depiction of GUIs these days because I know that somewhere, someone is saying, "I can't wait to get back in the lab and start building that."
    That small little screen she uses to display the DNA match?

Iphone 5. You saw it there first.

• Lol, awesome!
  • It's like they're using common sense.

Hollywood, Y U NO HAB??