This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Adventure Time

edited July 2012 in Manga/Comics
So I get the appeal of the show and I love that this indy cartoon is garnering success... but I'm 5 episodes in and it's not doing much for me. On the other hand I just watched the only 4 episodes of Gravity Fall and I'm completely smitten with delight (Thanks Nissl!). Can someone tell me when the show hits its stride?

Comments

• Maybe halfway through season 1? It definitely does build and get better, but if you're not into it from the start, it doesn't seem like it's for you. What do you not like about it?
  • I like cartoons wherein the characters have something to lose (relationship, item of attachment, information, etc.). I love suspending my disbelief and thinking the characters are in danger. Adventure Time just doesn't have that for me. Nor does the new Thundercats.

But my friends tell me Adventure Time gets better at some point.
  • I like cartoons wherein the characters have something to lose (relationship, item of attachment, information, etc.). I love suspending my disbelief and thinking the characters are in danger. Adventure Time just doesn't have that for me.
    ...It probably never will. The appeal of Adventure Time is in the name; mad, imaginative adventures through a fucked-up fantasy world with awesome animation. It occurs to me that not all of that is in the name. Whatever.
  • Yeah, what I've seen of it, deep it is not. It's much more zany and random, hallucinatory arts. It's cute and really weird, but I don't think there's a serious bone in it's proverbial body.
  • Well according to the people behind the show seriousness need not apply.
  • All of this is useful but I still really, really, really want to like this show. Adventure Time has a lot of good things going for it. Maybe there are select episodes that take the imagination TO THE EXTREME I should be aware of?
  • I have never admitted this anywhere on the internet before, but...

Adventure Time does nothing for me. No idea why.
  • with awesome animation.
    Sorry, but Adventure Time does not have this. That is nonsense. Adventure time has crude vector animation and is generally poorly drawn (on purpose.)

I'm not a fan of the show, but I get why people like it. Still, you can't credibly claim that it has awesome animation.

Disney in the era of Snow White is awesome animation. Hand drawn and absolutely stunningly true to life. That's the scale on which you're competing.

Sorry, but Adventure Time does not have this. That is nonsense. Adventure time has crude vector animation and is generally poorly drawn (on purpose.)

I'm not a fan of the show, but I get why people like it. Still, you can't credibly claim that it has awesome animation.

Disney in the era of Snow White is awesome animation. Hand drawn and absolutely stunningly true to life. That's the scale on which you're competing.

Yeah I agree a bit with you there. I used to hold everything to the standard of golden age Disney, but that became a bit unreasonable. I can accept any kind of animation now, as long as there is consistent quality control. As a vehicle for the story telling, Adventure Time could have had a worse animation team behind it. Shows like Archer have very limited movement, but the characters can still communicate so much! (sorry Scott) And while I adore My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation at times is downright lazy and crude.

Yeah I agree a bit with you there. I used to hold everything to the standard of golden age Disney, but that became a bit unreasonable. I can accept any kind of animation now, as long as there is consistent quality control. As a vehicle for the story telling, Adventure Time could have had a worse animation team behind it. Shows like Archer have very limited movement, but the characters can still communicate so much! (sorry Scott) And while I adore My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the animation at times is downright lazy and crude.
    I'm not saying that animation that isn't Gold Standard worthy is not useful or entertaining, just that it's not 'awesome'. :-)
  • @muppet Agreed, agreed.
  • I like Adventure Time a lot but I prefer Regular Show.
  • 2 deep 4 u

• edited July 2012
    I like Adventure Time a lot but I prefer Regular Show.
    There is a possibility that they take place in the same universe, that Adventure Time is the post apocalyptic wasteland of Regular Show.

"In Adventure Time, it is a known fact that Finn and Jake live on a post-apocalyptic earth. There was a nuclear war that mutated all the species on earth and destroyed all of human civilization. There are anthropomorphic foods/animals, lumpy floating space aliens, sorcerers, superpowers, and other things that came from all the radiation. In Regular Show, Mordecai and Rigby inhabit a universe of humans but ALSO many anthropomorphic animals/objects (not to mention the GREEN Muscleman, Highfive Ghost).
    There are also extremely insane occurrences each episode that involve monsters, black-holes, and other weird shit that could be focused radiation. In addition to this, on Regular Show there is a strange mish-mash of digital and analog technology that semi-matches up with Adventure Time. After the nuclear war, I assume there was a move to go back with technology instead of forward which would explain the strange stuff. And last but not least, Pops and his father are CANDY PEOPLE. In a short that JG Quintel did before Regular Show it was established that Pops was from another kingdom, so it could be the beginnings of the candy kingdom."

also for fans of the awesome animation the artist's tumblr has some interesting work on it

http://natazilla.tumblr.com/
    Post edited by highdefinition on
  • Guys, Adventure Time has fantastic animation. Having good animation does not necessarily mean that it is intricately detailed, it means that the movements are expressive and that the animation is fluid. Adventure Time is a constantly moving and flowing kind of show, so the fact that everything is incredibly fluid means that they have some serious talent working on the animation teams for it.
  • edited July 2012
    Guys, Adventure Time has fantastic animation. Having good animation does not necessarily mean that it is intricately detailed, it means that the movements are expressive and that the animation is fluid. Adventure Time is a constantly moving and flowing kind of show, so the fact that everything is incredibly fluid means that they have some serious talent working on the animation teams for it.
    That, and the character design is cool as hell. That isn't animation, but it's another thing that makes it fun to look at. The main characters don't really learn or grow all that much, and they haven't got that much depth, but there's always a fleshed-out bit part that keeps things interesting. It's an intelligently made show, if nothing else.

I don't watch these kinds of cartoons for drama or interesting relationships. I don't get caught up in the struggles of cartoon ponies, or the character growth of Batman, or understanding the mind of a talking badger. I just can't do it. I watch cartoons to escape into something novel, carefree, clever, and fun to look at. Adventure Time scratches that itch. Plus the most recent season finale was an elaborate Call of Cthulhu homage. That made me happy.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • The most recent season finale was an elaborate Call of Cthulhu homage. That made me happy.
    Uh, in what way?
  • The most recent season finale was an elaborate Call of Cthulhu homage. That made me happy.
    Uh, in what way?
    I can't remember the plot for the life of me, but I do remember it having H.P. Lovecraft stamped all over it. I think somebody couldn't sleep for days, then found an ancient bas-relief and went crazy.
  • What episode is that exactly?
  • What abou the gender bending episode? When I first saw the designs, I thought it was just an elaborate fan creation, but no: it's official!
  • This show doesn't really do much for me. I get the appeal, but I can't quite explain why I don't like it. For example, I love FLCL, but not adventure time or nichijou. There's just something about how the wackiness doesn't work for me but I can't put my finger on it.
  • This show doesn't really do much for me. I get the appeal, but I can't quite explain why I don't like it. For example, I love FLCL, but not adventure time or nichijou. There's just something about how the wackiness doesn't work for me but I can't put my finger on it.
    FLCL works too good for me.

I can't get past that steam iron without dying of laughter.
  • I am planning to sit down and go through all of Adventure Time in the near future. Also Regular Show. It "seems" like something I'd like.
  • FLCL is a god among animated features.
    Uh, it's not a feature film?
    It's 6 episodes. That's "feature" in my book. I'll accept it if you want to call it a mini-series.

Are you really this intensely interested in semantics, or don't you have anything more interesting to talk about, like, ever? :)
    It's 6 episodes. That's "feature" in my book. I'll accept it if you want to call it a mini-series.

Are you really this intensely interested in semantics, or don't you have anything more interesting to talk about, like, ever? :)
    I know the show as an OVA, or mini-series yeah. I haven't heard people use "features" for a mini-series, only for a film longer than an hour and then some. That's why your post confused me. Blame this on you being loud and ambiguous during what should reasonably be expected to be your work hours.

And step up your insulting if you go that way. That one is just pathetic.
  • I figured that given the average intelligence on this board, the only way anybody could trip up over "feature" being used in place of "mini-series" would be to score troll points. It's a minor semantic blip that shouldn't derail a conversation unless somebody feels like derailing a conversation.

Loud? That's interesting.

And yes I'm at work, are you jealous? :)
  • edited July 2012
    I think "feature" only applies with respect to film/episode length, as in "feature length".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think "feature" only applies with respect to film/episode length, as in "feature length".
    From dictionary.com:

3. Also called feature film . the main motion picture in a movie program:

So I used it wrong, which I acknowledged already. The ongoing derailment is not really that interesting, is it?

Obviously, it is. :-)