This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Incal

edited July 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review The Incal in all its craziness (though we avoid any spoilers, as you really just have to read this thing to understand it). We've returned from ConnectiCon 2012, which was dangerously successful, only to find that there is a new Sailor Moon anime in the works, and Naoki Urasawa is an awesome convention guest!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited July 2012
    AT LAST

AT LAST YOU UNDERSTAND THE GLORY

My brain nearly fell out of my head when they revealed Orh.

Disagree about must-read-comic of the Universe. Read this book, and then watch the Matrix, Blade Runner, and The Fifth Element, and you'll see how incredibly important to geek culture this book was. The falling scene at the start of The Fifth Element was more or less lifted piece for piece from John DiFools fall toward the acid lake.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Finally!

The Incal!

Can't wait to listen to this.
  • Ah, good review. Fair.

Also, Scott echoed my sentiments about Price of Nothing, all the proper nouns, locations, people, places, it's as if it assumes you know them all already, you are thrown into it. I found I really did have to just keep reading and pushing through that opening mental assault until it started to become familiar. Only then could I start to relax and enjoy it.

Having just read past a fairly large scale battle in the book, I am again reminded how powerful the writing is in this series. Sure, the battle was good, but to me, it just emphasized how much BETTER the battle of words, wills, knowledge and even a mere STARE across a camp fire are. It's as if every encounter is a war of minds. You can pretty much name any two major characters and they will have had a war of words at some point, some more intense than others.

Proyos, Conphas, Kelhlas, Acha, Naiur....

Pair all those names up and see if you can remember each encounter for the first time :)

• There was a brief discussion in this episode about self-contained comic book stories, so I have to recommend Locke & Key. It's a set length of five volumes, it's amazing, and the last volume just shipped from Amazon. Why am I at work and not reading it?!
  • I started reading Vol. 1 of Locke & Key and will be reading the rest, however Saga issue #5 came out yesterday and that takes priority!
  • Incal is amazing in that so many crazy things happen, you start to think, upon the next crazy thing, "of course!"

I forgot to talk about the mutants in the sewer. I really liked those guys.
  • What? New Sailor Moon?!

WHAT?!!
  • What? New Sailor Moon?!

WHAT?!!
    Do you not read the internet?
    Where does one start with Sailor Moon? Does it actually need to be watched for one to be anime literate? Should it be watched?
  • I would say any serious anime fan should see a good chunk of Sailor Moon just to know the deal.

Watch the entire first season. Then watch a few random episodes from S, SuperS, and Stars. If you like it, watch all 200 episodes.

If you want to see the show at its most "super serious," S and the beginning of Stars is where to look.
  • edited July 2012
    AT LAST
    This.

Anyway, glad you liked the book. Can I assume that a podcast on The Ranks of the Black Order will be forthcoming in, say, three years?

I have a couple of comments about Incal. Mainly that the repetitive nature of the plot (alien crazy shit! deal with it. continue), the "in media res" nature of the "start" of the plot, and the fact that it is hard to tell which volume to read first, are all important and intentional.

Secondly I disagree about the characters being "weak", they are simply not caricatures. To me it is very clear what, e.g., John Difool would do under any given circumstance but I agree that his reactions wouldn't be very spectacular.

As for nice titties, you clearly have not read enough french comics, let me show you my collection.

Finally, for a self contained work and awesome SciFi and more french weirdness, do yourself a favor and read The Nikopol Trilogy (included in your care package).

I have almost all of Sanctuary in paper form, if you decide to send me your collection you may tragically find that the postal service will somehow mange to lose volume 7 during return shipment ;-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • How about Eagle? We have a complete set, and you should definitely read it. ^_~
  • I would say any serious anime fan should see a good chunk of Sailor Moon just to know the deal.

Watch the entire first season. Then watch a few random episodes from S, SuperS, and Stars. If you like it, watch all 200 episodes.

If you want to see the show at its most "super serious," S and the beginning of Stars is where to look.
    Now you're just trying to justify your watching of it.
  • edited July 2012
    How about Eagle? We have a complete set, and you should definitely read it. ^_~
    I'd definitely appreciate Eagle.
  • We will send you a full, excellent condition set of Eagle to hold hostage and read. (Among other goodies). ;^) It took us years to collect this thing together.
  • Also, I read Ranks of the Black Order straight away before, and I read it again recently. I really, really liked it.
  • edited July 2012
    You should try to find The Hunting Party. Will probably be right up your alley:
    It is centered around a group of old, mostly retired or disgraced Communist bloc political leaders who meet in Poland for a bear-hunting party...
  • edited July 2012
    There was a brief discussion in this episode about self-contained comic book stories, so I have to recommend Locke & Key. It's a set length of five volumes, it's amazing, and the last volume just shipped from Amazon. Why am I at work and not reading it?!
    To clarify, by "last" volume, you mean the 5th volume :) An important distinction, as I await volume 6 with much anticipation.

But I agree, fantastic little series, and I would hope to hear a review at some point after the series ends.

Also, Saga #5 is out? Sweet!

Post edited by InvaderREN on