This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Forums Tekkit Server

edited July 2012 in Video Games
OK folks, to get this thing jumpstarted, I'm going to go ahead and rent/lease/whatever a Tekkit server for the forum some time in the next couple of days. I think the 1GB server will be adequate, what do the interested parties think? I'm assuming a price of $13/month and I'm happy to pay that but will accept donations to offset the cost. ;-) Please contact me BEFORE paypal-ing any money or anything because I don't want to collect more than what the server costs (or just below, leaving my share) each month.

WindUpBird expressed some interest in administering the server. I have NO IDEA what sort of admin burden there is on a Tekkit server (I'd personally like to see "cheat mode" globally disabled) but assuming there is any, I'm happy to hand him the keys if he's interested.

Can I get a show of hands of who's likely to use the server? I'm curious about the rough headcount.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I don't promise anything, but I probably will visit the server, if not for other reasons I'll be a tourist and look at the marvels forumites produce.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • edited July 2012
    Accidental double post. Fail of the day.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • edited July 2012
    I'm also curious how cheaply I can build my daughter a Minecraft playing machine. I haven't built a PC in a bojillion years. Is Newegg still the way to go..?

Then again, she's a confirmed Apple person now, they use them at school and she's got an ancient G4 mini at home, so I may just have to go that route anyway. :)
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Reinstall Minecraft.

Ah shit, reinstall Java.
  • I'm also curious how cheaply I can build my daughter a Minecraft playing machine. I haven't built a PC in a bojillion years. Is Newegg still the way to go..?
    I just got an ad about a sale on "CompUSA.com". I've never bought from them, but maybe they'll have something good.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3487492&sku=B69-0582 + a video card + OS + Minecraft ~= $300? Maybe?
  • I'm also curious how cheaply I can build my daughter a Minecraft playing machine. I haven't built a PC in a bojillion years. Is Newegg still the way to go..?
    I just got an ad about a sale on "CompUSA.com". I've never bought from them, but maybe they'll have something good.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3487492&sku=B69-0582 + a video card + OS + Minecraft ~= $300? Maybe?
    You did better than I did. :-) I'm not sure about the components, though. I think I can score a good mix of component quality and economy at around the $400 mark, it looks like. Gotta see if that's in the birthday budget for this year.

This hypothetical project is stirring dangerous instincts in me. I used to build a new gaming PC about once a quarter. Must. Not. Build. Two. ;-)
  • edited July 2012
    I can spec you a $500 monster; I'll see what I can do for $400.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • This is what I've come up with so far:

• OK so:

Apreche: interested
    Apsup: sorta
    WindUpBird: I think so?

;-) It's early yet, I know I know.
  • I'll probably be interested when I get to better internet.
    But I warn you, I'm bad at Minecraft and die a lot.
  • edited July 2012
    I hardly ever die, but it's because I (almost) never go out at night, build my mine entrances INSIDE my house, and secure both ends of the shaft to prevent baddies spawning underground from getting up into my bedroom.

The one thing I need to learn is how to build effective automatic defense systems against Creepers.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited July 2012
    I believe most of the burden is just on the ram for this game.

Also pirating this game because I already bought it for xbox and fuck buying it again.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I believe most of the burden is just on the ram for this game.
    Noted. Does this make you an interested party? Shall I count your head? ;-)
  • edited July 2012
    I will probably play it some. Also I can pitch in.

Edit: muppet, in case you haven't seen. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Hardware_performance
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I'm definitely down to play and pitch in for some on the server as I mentioned in the other thread.

I know on most Tekkit servers they have it set so no creepers spawn, so you don't lose the nuclear reactor you worked 2 weeks to build (or whatever). Also, there's a way with permissions to toggle the ability to see the cheat window. As long as it's set up right and the player isn't admin, they can't spawn blocks.
  • I'm interested.
  • I like how the new (to me) Minecraft version has an FOV setting, and the highest setting is literally labeled "Quake Pro."
  • I like how the new (to me) Minecraft version has an FOV setting, and the highest setting is literally labeled "Quake Pro."
    I haven't messed with it yet. I had to turn down a few options to run this on my i3 laptop ('fast' rather than 'fancy' graphics, etc) so I think I'm stuck with my narrow FOV. That's funny, though. :-)
    Well, Quake is how Notch tries to settle his differences. :P

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this
    http://www.gamezone.com/products/minecraft/news/notch-crushes-minecraft-pirates-in-quake-3-match
    Wow, ARMA II doesn't have an FoV setting, but Minecraft does? How silly is this world going to be tomorrow!
  • I'm interested in playing, contributing, and admining
  • edited July 2012
    Put me in the same camp as Schnevets.

Playing around with Tekkit. Last night, I built a nuclear reactor with a double-walled containment chamber, and a water-cooled reactor chamber. A system of pumps moves ice directly into my reactor core to cool it. The water is pumped out to be frozen and pumped back in.

I'm working on a computercrafted SCRAM system that would use a piston to detach or destroy the reactor core in an emergency.
  • I give the disclaimer right now that I will never be that clever with complex automations. :-)
  • edited July 2012
    I'm trying to figure out how to build a Minetomsk Nuclear Train to take my depleted cells and run them into a faraway tundra-based nuclear dump. I'm imagining a scenario in which the natives stumble upon my spent nuclear material and I accidentally trigger a huge evolution in their technology.

The next step is a breeder to power my atomic weapons program. And then, the airship bombers.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to build a Minetomsk Nuclear Train to take my depleted cells and run them into a faraway tundra-based nuclear dump.

The next step is a breeder to power my atomic weapons program. And then, the airship bombers.
    Feh. A few suicide bombings and your entire military program will be in shambles!
  • Set up tunnels to Muppet's house and fill it with dynamite. If he suicide bombs you, he'll be fucked too.
  • edited July 2012
    If this server is PVP, then my interest level has increased many folds.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If this server is PVP, then my interest level has increased many folds.
    I'm not a fan but will assent to whatever the majority vote is. Can we run multiple worlds on a server?
  • edited July 2012
    I can handle multiple worlds. I'm totally pro-PVP.

Edit: Also, re: suicide bombing: admins always have the nuclear deterrent.
  • I haven't Minecrafted in awhile, but this looks really interesting.