This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Youtube downloaders

RymRym
edited August 2012 in Technology
The method I've used for a while now to download Youtube videos has ceased to function due to changes Youtube has made. Do any of you know of (not malware) tools that still work as of a few days ago?

Or, do I have to figure out a new solution all over again? ;^)

Comments

• edited August 2012
    The firefox video download helper plugin is excellent and works on any video. I even used it on Lynda.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • pwnyoutube is what I've always used. It's a tad skeezy-looking, but it works.
  • Omnutia's method is what I use too, it's awesome.
  • keepvid.com still works, though its layout is shitty. If you're trying to download a hangout video, those are differently protected and tough to get.
  • Yeah, I just tested the keepvid bookmarklet, and it works just fine.
  • Keepvid stopped working when Youtube made some changes, but they seem to have since updated themselves.

Interestingly, MOST of the suggestions I received on this (between here and twitter) were straight-up malware upon further investigation.
  • Keepvid stopped working when Youtube made some changes, but they seem to have since updated themselves.

Interestingly, MOST of the suggestions I received on this (between here and twitter) were straight-up malware upon further investigation.
    Would you mind mentioning which exact ones so I know to avoid them? I regularly use YouTube downloaders for various panels, and want to make sure that I'm actually doing something right and haven't just been painfully lucky.
  • Listentoyoutube.com has worked for me, I have encountered no malware.
  • I use a Firefox Plugin called NetVideoHunter. It works pretty well on all kinds of sites.
  • Most of them are java or something running with elevated privileges and access to all of your browsing and history (and any other personal data related to web sites). You'll notice them hitting ad networks and other interesting sites while they're getting your download link.
  • edited August 2012
    yeah can't help you, i'm a keepvidder, myself
    Most of them are java or something running with elevated privileges and access to all of your browsing and history (and any other personal data related to web sites). You'll notice them hitting ad networks and other interesting sites while they're getting your download link.
    firewalls & ghostery ftw
    Post edited by no fun girl on