This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080917 - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Comments

• Yes, I am confused with all of these releases of Eva as well. If someone can explain, that would be appreciated. I'm too lazy to look it up. ^^;;
  • It is the same movie. I do not know what Greg is talking about.

Funimation released the 1.01 version on DVD on November 17, 2009. The 1.11 DVD and Blu-ray was released on March 9, 2010. However, people who pre-ordered the movie received it early (primarily from Right Stuf and AnimeNation). The 1.11 DVD and Blu-ray discs come with a 20-page booklet with character art and production stills and information about how the movie was made. The DVD's first disc has the movie on it, while the second disc contains special features, including a music video of "Angel of Doom", a preview for Evangelion 2.0, along with trailers from the 1.0 release.[54]
  • Parallel works with subtly different interpretations and treatments.

The manga is really good, but it is just a sort of alternate, deeper retelling of the story (from the volumes I read).
  • Wait, there's a 1.0 and a 1.11? Does 1.11 come AFTER 1.0, or is it a replacement for 1.0? How does this shit work?
    Even numbered releases are stable, odd numbered ones are experimental. Patch releases get sub-version numbers. ;^)

1.01 was totally botched and some scenes were completely unwatchable, so REVolution of Eva told me.
  • edited August 2012
    In short:
    1.0 - theatrical release
    1.01 - DVD release
    1.11 - DVD/BD release with various fixes
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2012
    Ugh. Why? Get it right the first time!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • In short:
    1.0 - theatrical release
    1.01 - DVD release
    Thanks. So what about 2.22, 3.whatever, etc.?
  • Ugh. Why? Get it right the first time!
    They did. It was a 26-episode anime from many years ago. ;^)

• In short:
    1.0 - theatrical release
    1.01 - DVD release
    3.whatever isn't out yet. JTVH got 2.22, but I don't know if she had a reason for it.
  • edited August 2012
    In short:
    1.0 - theatrical release
    1.01 - DVD release
    Even though I'm sure you're capable of Googling this (that's what I did) - the answer is that the pattern is basically the same, except that 2.0 was already made with a Blu-ray release in mind, so 2.22 is the only disc release of 2.0.

One would expect that the DVD and Blu-ray release of 3.0 will be called 3.33.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • In short:
    1.0 - theatrical release
    1.01 - DVD release
    Even though I'm sure you're capable of Googling this (that's what I did) - the answer is that the pattern is basically the same, except that 2.0 was already made with a Blu-ray release in mind, so 2.22 is the only disc release of 2.0.
    Ok, so are the differences between 2.0 and 2.22 big enough that I need to see both, or should I just watch all the 1.11, 2.22, 3.33, etc.?
  • It would appear that the 1.11, 2.22, etc. are basically the definitive versions in each case, and that they tend to contain added scenes (and different cuts) as compared to the theatrical releases
  • In short:
    1.0 - theatrical release
    1.01 - DVD release
    Ok, so are the differences between 2.0 and 2.22 big enough that I need to see both, or should I just watch all the 1.11, 2.22, 3.33, etc.?
    1.11 is like the Platinum Edition of the last couple episodes. Same content, but with some cut scenes added in. You pretty much can only find 1.11 in the US; I don't think Funi bothered releasing 1.01, and even if they did, it's long out of print.
  • Why don't they just get it right for the theatrical release?
    Sometimes you miss shit. Why wasn't Windows 3.0 perfect? Why'd the make Windows 3.1?

Most anime shows and movies have changes when they're put on to DVD. You're only noticing it for Eva because they point it out.
    They probably figured that they would sell more discs this way.
    That's actually somewhat clever.
    I'm pretty sure they could rename Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone to Evangelion 1.11: Hideki Anno's (New) House and it'd be just as accurate.
    1.01 was totally botched and some scenes were completely unwatchable, so REVolution of Eva told me.
    I believe the primary problem is that it was too dark (ie, the brightness setting was turned down too low).

• He also said there were mixing problems.
  • The numbers don't really matter that much. Over here, there's just 1.11 and 2.22. You can't get the wrong one.
  • I'm reiterating the request that you do an episode about the Evangelion movies.

I'm currently fascinated with the idea that Seele members are the souls of the Mass Production Evas.
    I assume you are talking about the new 1.0, 2.0 movies You Can Not Advance, etc. I plan not to watch any of them until they are all done. One day I'll even read the manga.
    Oh, I forgot all about Rebuild. I'm also waiting for those to be done.

No, I'm talking about End of Evangelion and also Death/Rebirth/whatever else is going on there, although elements of that appear to be in the Director's Cut Episodes 21'-24' that are in the Platinum edition.
  • The numbers don't really matter that much. Over here, there's just 1.11 and 2.22. You can't get the wrong one.
    When downloading online though, it can get confusing.
    When downloading online though, it can get confusing.
    Sure, but all of the Eva movies that are available in any form are available on DVD in the US. You don't need to pirate them.
  • I do if I don't want to pay money for them.
  • Also, some members of the forum aren't in the U.S.
  • Ah, so with respect to the director's cut of 21'-24', Death is mostly a clip show with a few added elements, and Rebirth is just a version of 25', a.k.a. the first third of End of Evangelion.

The number of releases, re-edits, and revisions of Evangelion is pretty crazy. And then there's Rebuild in progress.
  • edited August 2012
    I like the manga. Kaoru and Shinji make out.
    Seriously? I kinda want to read it now just to see how that is set up and unfolds.
    I was being slightly misleading:
    In the manga, Kaoru is actually much more antagonistic and aggressive with Shinji, whereas in the show he was very kind. He makes him confront his problems and hypocrisies to a larger extent, and sometimes he's cruel but honest. The scene I was referring to is the manga counterpart to the scene from the show where Shinji sleeps on the floor of Kaoru's room. The manga finds Shinji refusing to go back home following a traumatic experience, he shares Kaoru's bed and wakes up in the middle of the night hyperventilating with a panic attack. Kaoru straight up kisses him on the mouth and then starts talking about the weirdness of human feelings. Shinji is understandably freaked out. image

Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's really annoying that this is in jpg form instead of text. It's also annoying that it has so many typos. Still worth reading because it has good information that I was unaware of that comes from video games and other sources.