This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Takenoko

edited July 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Takenoko. But first, we talk a bit about all the games we've bought (but not played) in the Steam Summer Sale like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3: New Vegas, Oblivion, and Sim City 4. We also lament how everyone votes for Rym in the "vote who wins" game (and Carcassonne). Also, we'll be at PAX Prime and PAX Dev!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Is this that panda game you tweeted to me, Scott? I couldn't get the name from the image.
  • Is this that panda game you tweeted to me, Scott? I couldn't get the name from the image.
    Yes.
  • Ok, I plan on buying this game very soon, if not today. Pandas. Cute panda figure.

SOLD.
  • The game only has one panda.
  • That's all I need. :3

$40 on Amazon with Prime shipping. If only same day arrival worked right now.
  • http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40040/

You'll thank me later Scott.
    Nice to know that exists, but no thanks. Not worth the time to play a sad game with duct tape on it when there are plenty of other games out there that do not need patches and mods to be awesome.

• Friday needs to be now. RIGHT NOW, I SAY!

I want my panda.
  • Not surprised that a lot of those have below average ratings.
  • http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40040/

You'll thank me later Scott.
    Nice to know that exists, but no thanks. Not worth the time to play a sad game with duct tape on it when there are plenty of other games out there that do not need patches and mods to be awesome.
    If a bad game + good mod ends up being more fun than good game without mods, wouldn't the better experience be bad game + mod even if it does come from tainted origins? I think you are letting your prejudices stand in the way of a potentially awesome experience and you ought to at least try.

This mod will let you tweak the game however you want. A friend of mine plays the game like Doom with super-fast movement and everything having tons of health, and I play it like a simulation tactical shooter. I'm sure you can make the game appeal to you if you give it a shot.
  • The best past of this episoded was the last 10 seconds.

Ok fine, then I won't buy it either...

I laughed.
  • We should make a pool on who will end up buying it.
  • I've got a thirty dollar Amazon c redit.... I would not be opposed to a little mid Complexity game for random company.
  • We should make a pool on who will end up buying it.
    I already bought it. ;^)
  • Not surprised that a lot of those have below average ratings.
    Although you gotta admit you're at least intrigued by this one:

As for Takenoko, I'm not surprised at all that it's a good warmup strategy game. Antoine Bauza is a very talented designer and the publisher Asmodee has been on an incredible hot streak. Did you guys realize this is the same pairing that produced 7 Wonders?

Bauza seems to be on a Japan kick. His newest game, to be released at this year's Essen Spiel, is Tokaido. Looks to fill this same warmup niche. It's described as a set collection/point-to-point movement game.

• On the topic of the new SimCity, it has been getting a ton of attention for its GlassBox engine. Not sure if it is shit-talk or not but it's supposedly modeling each element of the city down to the individual person and their interactions, and taking all of that into account when running the simulation. Their goal is basically to make it uber-realistic in a way SimCity has never been before.

I haven't read much more about it but if they pull it off, I can't imagine I'll be able to keep myself away from that game.
  • I just want the traffic and public transport planning to not be completely terrible and I'll be happy. I love SC4, but good god is the traffic logic stupid.
  • I just want the traffic and public transport planning to not be completely terrible and I'll be happy. I love SC4, but good god is the traffic logic stupid.
    Well, if they are really simulating each and every individual person, the traffic, in theory, should be realistic. Every vehicle on the road, or person using transportation, will have some sort of purpose. For example, each person will probably commute on weekdays to a job in a nearby commercial zone from their residential zone.
    Well, if they are really simulating each and every individual person, the traffic, in theory, should be realistic. Every vehicle on the road, or person using transportation, will have some sort of purpose. For example, each person will probably commute on weekdays to a job in a nearby commercial zone from their residential zone.
    You can turn on a diagram of how traffic is being simulated in SC4. Some of what you see will make you shake your head and do that Jackie Chan meme.
  • No guys, quit using that bus stop at %500 percent capacity. There is an unused one right next to your building. And quit driving all the buses through one alleyway at %1000 capacity, there's a freaking highway going the same place right next to you! No don't become abandoned due to long commute time! SADALKJSKJASKHFKJ!!!
  • Here is a question I am afraid to answer. SimFarm: great game, or great game only because I had the taste of an 8-year-old?
  • My worry about the "single-sim" simulation is that usually games that allow a zoom to this level also expect a certain ridiculous level of micromanagement. Sim City is primarily an urban planning simulation, not a "built one taco bell exactly here for these five houses and the hotel where SimSteve is staying" game.
  • This is the best and most concise description of the new SimCity engine that you'll find.

I don't think you have too much to worry about though. I can't pull up a direct quote right now but I remember seeing somewhere that players won't be able to zoom to such levels. This crazy level of detail is just supposed to lead to a more realistic simulation, rather than the old canned models. You should get to appreciate the fruits of this engine without the burden of micromanagement.

At least I hope that all turns out to be true.
  • An urban planning game with Dwarf-fortress-like granularity of effect (and the resulting emerging behavior) would be fascinating.
  • Played a game of Takenoko earlier tonight. Great game. I am happy I purchased it.

I beat Jeremy 46-35. I find that making the irrigation routes weren't that effective, but perhaps in a 3-4 player game they will be.

We won't be reboxing this game, because the boxing seems to be a perfect fit for everything, plus I don't want to deprive the world of seeing the cute panda art on it!

If the artist made a panda comic, I would buy it.
  • edited August 2012
    I forgot to add that the starting turn factor of the game is bullshit because I will pretty much NEVER be the first player to go.

Tallest player gets to go first, MY ASS!

It should be who looks the most like a panda or has eaten bamboo recently.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • It should be who looks the most like a panda or has eaten bamboo recently.
    I somehow imagine you in a panda hat and always having bamboo in your pocket were that the case...

• Dammit! There goes my plan to bring my panda hat with me!

I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids. And your Scott Rubin too.
  • Scooby doobie Rubin?