This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Burning Con '12

Comments

• Aw, no 10/11/12 date. Thought they keep the streak alive.
  • http://www.burningwheel.org/?page_id=111

The TRIADUMVIRATE!

I have a standard BW scenario I am developing that is going to be so awesome.
  • I'm running FreeMarket again.

I am so excited! Gen Con's next week, and I should be more excited about that, but I'm not!
  • I am running an updated version of "Into the Mountain" (the game I ran last time to much acclaim).

Notably, I've expanded it, fixed a few minor issues with the power balance and skills, added a few extra enounter bits, and converted everything to BWG.
  • Stupid east coast, you think you're so cool with all your cons.
  • edited August 2012
    Stupid east coast, you think you're so cool with all your cons.
    Stupid west coast with your lack of tabletop RPGs and surplus of professional level fighting and RTS gaming.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2012
    Stupid east coast, you think you're so cool with all your cons.
    Stupid west coast with your lack of tabletop RPGs and surplus of professional level fighting and RTS gaming.
    That statement is true, I don't understand why it is true.

EDIT: Actually, while I don't fully know the west coast gaming demographic I think something like NerdNYC would work equally well in Seattle (or maybe exists?), all that is lacking is organization (and maybe resources). Also I think some of the cons would work as well but I think mostly that may be due to resources, which the east coast has more of.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • We seriously just need to get rid of that whole middle area nonsense and smooth both coasts together.

Or invent teleporters.
  • Danger Patrol is permitted.
  • I want to go but I've never ran a game before. What games are good for beginners to run?
  • Mouse Guard gives you a lot of help if you read the rules through. The GM has a turn, like the players, and it sort of forces you to be at least a decent GM. ;^)
  • I want to go but I've never ran a game before. What games are good for beginners to run?
    They have a beginner track this time that you can sign up for.
  • I'm debating whether to do the beginner's track or not because I can run Mouse Guard and Apocalypse World just fine, but my BW chops aren't great. Really depends on whether I can rope any friends into going with me, and what they decide to do.
  • I'm going to be a bumbling British tourist in New York again! Yay!

I expect I'll need to spend more money this time. I did all the most obvious and free stuff the last couple of times. I bet there will be plenty of Halloween things on!

And there's also all the gaming!
    I'm planning on doing that. If I do, I'm required to run a game. I think I'll go with Rym's suggestion.

• We seriously just need to get rid of that whole middle area nonsense and smooth both coasts together.

Or invent teleporters.
    Orange Portal in Think Coffee in NYC.

Blue portal in some awesome cafe in Seattle.
    I'm planning on doing that. If I do, I'm required to run a game. I think I'll go with Rym's suggestion.
    Mouse Guard's is pretty simple to run. Lady Blackbird is possibly simpler: Character sheets have all the rules the players need, and the GM's job is, basically, setting difficulties based on the characters' intended actions are. It's also free, so take a look.
  • Stupid east coast, you think you're so cool with all your cons.
    I submit Big Bad Con and KublaCon. There are others, but those are admittedly the best, at least in California.

• KublaCon should be held in Xanadu -- or at least somewhere in Mongolia/China.
  • I only go to cons held in stately pleasure-domes, such as the BCEC. That being said, I'm coming to Burning Con this year! (albeit in the beginner's track, since I haven't played a BW campaign in years)
  • Burning Con '12: It's coming!

I just sent my pitch for FreeMarket, which I've had a decent amount of experience running. (I upgraded a long-term memory into Ephemera.)
  • I bought a copy of Burning Wheel the other day at the game store. Gonna read through it and see if I can get some people to try it out.
  • I bought a copy of Burning Wheel the other day at the game store. Gonna read through it and see if I can get some people to try it out.
    You can try one of the Demo Scenarios. The Sword is a classic.

There's also a long-running forum thread about Burning Wheel.
  • It's settled, I'll be running Danger on the Scent Border at Burning Con. I did a dry run this weekend and things ended in broken bones, maimed mice and dead weasels.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm running a hardboiled BW campaign at Burning Con. Hopefully it won't suck.

EDIT: Here's the pitch.

Downtown Manhattan, 1949. The Clockwork Man holds the city in the grip of terror, as his random slayings lay down another joe at the stroke of midnight, every night. The cops don't know what to do, and the guys not protecting their petty scams are trying to keep it hush. Meanwhile, the United Nations is building a new home, but the building may not be as clean as its pedigree. Crooked cops, femme fatales, press men, and private dicks are racing to get to the bottom of these two cases, but time's running out.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I will be there. I plan to wear my "tomorrow is a day away" skull shirt on Friday, to convey my chances of guiding a character through a game intact on Saturday.
  • I'm running a hardboiled BW campaign at Burning Con. Hopefully it won't suck.

EDIT: Here's the pitch.

Downtown Manhattan, 1949. The Clockwork Man holds the city in the grip of terror, as his random slayings lay down another joe at the stroke of midnight, every night. The cops don't know what to do, and the guys not protecting their petty scams are trying to keep it hush. Meanwhile, the United Nations is building a new home, but the building may not be as clean as its pedigree. Crooked cops, femme fatales, press men, and private dicks are racing to get to the bottom of these two cases, but time's running out.
    That is the coolest shit.
  • I'll be there too. I'm really nervous about running a game. I have plans to do a dry run with my friends this weekend.

I settled on running a short Lady Blackbird scenario.
  • I will also be there - on the beginner track. Looking forward to it.