This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Should I uninstall Java?

edited August 2012 in Technology
I've been debating whether or not to keep Java on my computer. Do I really need it anymore? Is Java really necessary for anything in computing today, or have they been replaced with other methods or scripts?

Does anyone else here use Java for anything?

Comments

• My work uses it for a lot of shit. But for a desktop, uninstall it until you do something that needs it.
  • Minecraft, mostly.
  • Minecraft, mostly.
  • Minecraft, mostly.
    I did not have Java on my computer for many moons. You only need it for an application that uses it (Minecraft) or if you yourself are writing things in Java (Eclipse). Otherwise, uninstall that shit.
  • Would using Sandboxie with Java and Minecraft be a safe route to go, if that would work at all?
  • Would using Sandboxie with Java and Minecraft be a safe route to go, if that would work at all?
    You could do that, but it's a little bit of overkill. If you need the Java, install it. If you don't need it, don't install it. You will be secure enough as long as you keep updating Java all the time, and don't ignore the updates.
  • If you've got Java installed for some reason, you can also uninstall or disable the Java Web plugin because you probably don't need it.