This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Baby's First Website

edited August 2012 in Technology
I am a beginner trying to develop the skills of computerz/interwebz. I've whipped up a very basic little multipage HTML "web site," but I'm having trouble finding a good way to actually put it on the internet without using up what little money I have. Generally when I look for advice on creating websites, I get sent to tumblr or Wordpress. I don't want to just use a pre-made template just for the sake of having a blog - I want to actually learn how all this stuff works. My Google-fu is weak in this instance, and I'm just getting more and more confused. Can anyone point me in the direction of the things you actually need to know to really learn how to make and host websites from scratch?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Try hosting a web site on a computer in your house first before paying to host it on some computer elsewhere. That means making a site that is only accessible from within your house on the same network. Once you learn all that is necessary to do that, the only difference is that with real hosting you will have a server with a public static IP address.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2012
    I think Amazon has some free limited hosting available, but don't quote me on that.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I think Amazon has some free limited hosting available, but don't quote me on that.
  • I see what you did there.
  • I used 000webhost to host some counter-strike maps for a server once. It's free webhosting but it's pretty unreliable.
  • Your ISP might offer free hosting. Check that out.
  • nearlyfreespeech.net literally hosting for pennies.
  • edited August 2012
    nearlyfreespeech.net literally hosting for pennies.
    It's also a rather informative hands-on approach. Certainly puts more hair on your chest than registering with some $7-a-month host and running a 1-click install.

However, take Scott's advice to heart. Use XAMPP or some other solution stack to practice your "skillz" before spending the money to throw it online. You may have found it very simple to put together a static web page, but you have barely entered the nine-circled hell that is web development...

Fortunately, you have discovered a forum of Virgils to aid in your journey.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Some day, I will have a dedicated fios connection to my home and a public static IP block. Some day...
  • If you want an interesting test of web skill, make the site look good on the browser AND mobile phones using CSS.
  • Google sites is web hosting for free, but it is a bit more limited.