This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• Wasn't this game supposed to be released accross all platforms on launch? It only says Windows on the Steam page. I'm only concerned because after a month of this game being released I'll be at school with just my Mac.
    My previous computer. For sale. Can almost definitely play CS:GO pretty well.
  • edited August 2012
    I have a PC. I just don't want to lug two computers to school.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • As much as Scott is going to jump all over me for saying this, I'm kinda glad there's a more casual mode. I'm hoping it'll allow me to ease in to CS and probably replace most of what TF2 gives me right now.
  • I don't see why Scott would have a problem with it. It doesn't interfere with the normal game and, if anything, keeps any bullshit out of sight.
  • I just want to see the Steam popular game graphs the week after this is out. I predict that CS:GO will cannibalize the majority of CS:Source players within a month, and add a large number of new players, but won't put much of a dent in CS1.6 play.
  • God. Right now (as in, this very minute), CounterStrike (1.6 and Source) have a combined total of 91,894 players. That's more than any other game on Steam.

The next two games down are DOTA2 with 67,264 and TF2 with 57,501.
  • edited August 2012
    I think the fact that its cheaper to buy CS:GO than CS:S says a lot about how valve plans on getting maximum movement from the old to new version.

Edit: also, 1.6 to Source was a change of engine. Its been confirmed that CS:GO will be using the Portal 2 version of the Source engine.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Pre-ordered. The server it going to be hit hard come release time.
  • edited August 2012
    Pre-ordered. The server it going to be hit hard come release time.
    Valve servers to download the game might be hit hard, but Steam has been pretty good with that, at least better then Blizzard. Trust me, even if the download server is screwed, it's still better than what we had to do 12 years ago.

Counter-Strike was a Free Half-Life 1 mod. On the day it updated every server admin and every player had to download the patch. Everyone would hit counter-strike.net. If the web site stayed up, you would get a page with a list of mirror links. You would go down and click every link on the list to see if one of them actually worked and wasn't fully overloaded. Tabbed browsing didn't exist.

We were at RIT with 2 OC3 connections, and this was still a problem. The only hope was for one person you knew to get a good download and then start sharing it around. Bittorrent didn't exist. Napster was killed. Direct Connect and other P2P hadn't replaced it yet. USB sticks didn't exist. I can't remember if it was too big to be burned onto CD. Most people didn't have DVD player, let alone burner.

Be thankful for Steam installing, even if the server is clogged.

And even if you have to wait for the download, be thankful that servers to play the game on are run by people, and not exclusively by Valve. There will be plenty of places to play. Perhaps I will pay moneys to get a server for a few months.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Pre-ordered. The server it going to be hit hard come release time.
    Preorders get into the beta August 14th. So it shouldn't be *that* bad. Not like TF2-launch-game-isn't-playable-until-three-days-after-release bad.
  • edited August 2012
    Counter-Strike was a Free Half-Life 1 mod. On the day it updated every server admin and every player had to download the patch. Everyone would hit counter-strike.net. If the web site stayed up, you would get a page with a list of mirror links. You would go down and click every link on the list to see if one of them actually worked and wasn't fully overloaded. Tabbed browsing didn't exist.
    What they should've done is made an option that randomly selects a mirror. That would have spread the load out in a pretty simple manner.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Despite me being kinda shit at cs I'm pretty interested in this game. Hopefully with me playing more pc these last couple years I won't be completely terrible at aiming with a mouse.
  • Counter-Strike was a Free Half-Life 1 mod. On the day it updated every server admin and every player had to download the patch. Everyone would hit counter-strike.net. If the web site stayed up, you would get a page with a list of mirror links. You would go down and click every link on the list to see if one of them actually worked and wasn't fully overloaded. Tabbed browsing didn't exist.
    What they should've done is made an option that randomly selects a mirror. That would have spread the load out in a pretty simple manner.
    That kind of technology didn't really exist then so much. Also, the demand was just so much higher than capacity, it didn't matter.
  • edited August 2012
    That kind of technology didn't really exist then so much. Also, the demand was just so much higher than capacity, it didn't matter.
    I'm pretty sure JavaScript existed at the time. Still, if it was at the point where most of the servers were overloaded and you basically just had to wait, then it's true that this wouldn't help so much.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Unofficial and lightly linked mirrors were at capacity. Hell, you could tell when CS patches happened by looking at the RIT MRTG graphs.
  • Counter-Strike was a Free Half-Life 1 mod. On the day it updated every server admin and every player had to download the patch. Everyone would hit counter-strike.net. If the web site stayed up, you would get a page with a list of mirror links. You would go down and click every link on the list to see if one of them actually worked and wasn't fully overloaded. Tabbed browsing didn't exist.
    I'm pretty sure JavaScript existed at the time. Still, if it was at the point where most of the servers were overloaded and you basically just had to wait, then it's true that this wouldn't help so much.
    Browsers in those days were not what they are in these days. Most of the people were using IE5 or Netscape 4. Go try to write some JavaScript that works in both of those.
    Browsers in those days were not what they are in these days. Most of the people were using IE5 or Netscape 4. Go try to write some JavaScript that works in both of those.
    We're talking about some pretty trivial JavaScript here, though I really don't know just how bad things were back then.
    We're talking about some pretty trivial JavaScript here, though I really don't know just how bad things were back then.
    The worst. In those days the best practice was "never use JavaScript ever" or "turn off JavaScript completely because only evil pop-up sites use it." Yeah, there were pop-up ads in those days, and not many ways to block them.

The best part about those days was that a download link was just a direct download link. None of this "wait 30 seconds and get the slow server" or "join megafirefilepitdownload to go fast!"
  • Parchased
  • I had a choice between this and Payday DLC, so I chose the latter. If I get a little more cash, I'll buy it.
  • Bought it today for $13.49. Pretty excited.
  • Is the beta coming to pre-orderers at midnight or the time the steam sale usually updates?
  • I would assume 10am pst.
  • edited August 2012
    Anyone know if they opened the beta yet? (or early access or whatever it is)
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Anyone know if they opened the beta yet? (or early access or whatever it is)
    Not as far as I can tell.
  • Keep in mind we're on Valve Time. I'm positive it will unlock today, but exactly when today is another matter.
  • Beta is out for pre-orderers. You may have to restart steam.
    I know what I'm doing tonight!
    Restarted and nuthin' :/