This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dragon*Con 2012

edited August 2012 in Conventions
Not sure why I'm making a new thread, as 99% of you here don't care about Dragon*Con, and this thread will die fast. But hey, +1 to my discussions started count! :-P

So who's going to Dragon*Con? I feel like at least one person on this forum (besides Andrew and I) said they're going, can't remember who. If you're going, are you costuming? (I am!)

Comments

• I care because these guys are going to be there. The makers of Fairy Quest. If you were to possibly get any free swag from them and give it to me, that'd be cool. If not, no worries.

I would love to go to this con, but since it coincides with Prime, it's never in the cards. :(
  • I care because these guys are going to be there. The makers of Fairy Quest. If you were to possibly get any free swag from them and give it to me, that'd be cool. If not, no worries.

I would love to go to this con, but since it coincides with Prime, it's never in the cards. :(
    With you guys, PAX > Dragon*Con, always. Its otay though, I go in your stead :). And I will go on a quest to get you Fairy Quest schwag!
  • I'm going! I'm totally pumped about all the Muppeteers and practical effects artists going.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    I wish I could go, but it's during the first few days of my term. It's on my bucket list as a con-goer and I'll go once I can fit it in. I suppose I'll make up for it when I go to Animazement next year...
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I always wanted to go to Dragon*con. I just never have the money to go.
  • I'm going! I'm totally pumped about all the Muppeteers and practical effects artists going.
    Are you wearing a costume? We should get pics together! :D I'm going to attempt to get into the Friday Night Costume contest. :X

Are you wearing a costume? We should get pics together! :D I'm going to attempt to get into the Friday Night Costume contest. :X

I'm bringing back my Very Vanillaware lineup from Otakon 2010 with Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere and Momohime from Muramasa. I also have a Noel Vermillion costume that my roommate made for a commission that she was paid for, but the girl refused the costume and hasn't been back for it in three years. I'm also going to try to make a Kingdom Hearts 2 Kairi, because I seriously look a ton like her and it's a really easy costume to make and wear.

What are you wearing?
  • I'm bringing back my Very Vanillaware lineup from Otakon 2010 with Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere and Momohime from Muramasa. I also have a Noel Vermillion costume that my roommate made for a commission that she was paid for, but the girl refused the costume and hasn't been back for it in three years. I'm also going to try to make a Kingdom Hearts 2 Kairi, because I seriously look a ton like her and it's a really easy costume to make and wear.

What are you wearing?
    Wow you're doing a lot! I've just got one costume that I've been working on since May. Its Lydia from Skyrim in her base armor. I'm not sure what I'm doing Friday, depends on whether I finish it before then, but since I'm doing the contest Friday night I think I'm only putting it on right before judging so it doesn't get messed up. But I plan on wearing it all day Saturday. (And I'm in the parade for the first time!)

I thought about doing another one, but I am so busy trying to finish current one, I dunno. I love wearing costumes! ^_^
  • Yeah, it seems like I'm doing a lot, but really I have most of the stuff for my Vanillaware costumes and Noel, so it's not a lot of actual new work. Kairi will have to be from the ground up but she will be ezpz. I'm not even going to get a wig.

But seriously when you put the work into armor, I don't blame you for not having time for anything else. Holy crap, that's awesome. I hope I get to see you!
  • I might go to this one, but I'm not entirely sure. Do you still have to pay separately for basically everything?
  • I might go to this one, but I'm not entirely sure. Do you still have to pay separately for basically everything?
    Not sure what you mean by pay separately? There is a badge for all 4 days, or you can go individual days. There are some events, like a dinner or something, that require extra tickets, is that what you mean? Overall I admit its pretty expensive, the 4 day badge being $120 (goes up to $140 at some point). If you want to save money, Friday and Saturday are the best days to go. Linky.
  • Most non-PAX gaming cons charge per-event for almost everything. Buy a $4 ticket, use that ticket to sign up for one slot of D&D at a particular time.

I hate that model.
  • edited August 2012
    We've never had to pay anything extra for the stuff we want to do. As far as I can tell, all the panels (or at least the ones we want to go to) are free, the larger celebrity zoo is free (although there is a smaller paid one). I hear rumor there is a gaming room, but I've never been. For me D*Con is mostly about running amok through several hotels completely smashed and looking at all the crazy costumes and the bazillion dealers rooms.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Yeah we've never done the gaming there. While at PAX your goal is to avoid every distraction possible to get maximum gaming time in, Dragoncon is the opposite. Why spend time gaming that could be fulfilled at home or at PAX, when you could be running around in crazy costumes, meeting famous people, listening to Patrick Stewart's soothing voice at a panel, buying awesome stuff that's not normally sold around Atlanta, etc etc.
  • Sounds like what I do at Otakon.
  • That's pretty much what people do at most cons, even if there are ticket prices for individual events.
  • MAGFest provides that for me. It's a four-day long hotel party that happens to have an attached arcade.
  • MAGFest provides that for me. It's a four-day long hotel party that happens to have an attached arcade.
    Yuuuuup.
  • I thought the entire point of DragonCon was industry guests, not drunken partying or goofing off. But I have my own priorities.
  • What industry exactly?
  • ...theater and film? I'm costume design, remember?
  • I wouldn't remember that, nor would I know much about Dragon Con. I'm used to it being referenced as the con a bunch of my RPG friends go to after Gencon. :P
  • Yeah, a lot of people party at the con. Helps when there are bars everywhere and in the hotels. However my personal reasons for going are mainly for costuming and meeting the famous peoples. I've always loved making costumes ever since I was a kid, my outlet usually being Halloween. Up through college I got more and more creative and did more time consuming costumes. At some point though it wasn't worth it, but then I went to Dragoncon for the first time and was like "wooooooooooooah" at all the craziness. I can dress up as whatever I want and spend whatever time on it and no one will call me crazy! :D
  • I have been working non-stop on my costume, and now I have a preview! I finally put together the gloves so I could have at least something complete to show. (Costume is 90% done but all in pieces).

I'm crazy so I decided I have enough time to do a second costume. So I'll be wearing Skyrim tavern wench outfit when I'm not in armor, yay.
  • Those gauntlets are awesome! Do you have a guide on how to make them?
  • edited August 2012
    Those gauntlets are awesome! Do you have a guide on how to make them?
    I've been pretty terrible about documenting my process. I keep forgetting to take pics of different steps. I've been thinking about doing a quicky blog to show what I did though, and upload the hand sketched patterns I used.

Thanks for thinking they're awesome though! :D
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • That would be cool, I'd imagen that the set looks really good at the end. How did you get the engraving done?
  • Well done. I'm sure the whole thing looks awesome.
  • edited September 2012
    If anyone is curious, I found a couple of nice pics of my costume (was so busy and crazy, forgot to get shots of it myself when I was wearing it).

http://photo.davenelson.com/DragonCon/DragonCon-2012/25185466_WLpf6B#!i=2067004793&k=2CN2LnF
    http://photo.davenelson.com/DragonCon/DragonCon-2012/25185466_WLpf6B#!i=2067004594&k=62zdv2r

The funny-looking poses are me trying to have Lydia attitude :-P

Man Dragon*Con was awesome. I'm super obsessed with costuming now. I met a girl wearing a Skyrim outfit who says she cosplays at PAX East, and that its not as dorky and lame as our crowd makes it out to be. I might be wearing a costume to PAX East now. >_>
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • That is a very nice costume. Very cool. You should wear it at PAX East.