This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• Damnit...too many games. Not buying this now due to PS2/GoIO betas that are occupying my time, but I'll probably end up caving in eventually.
  • There's a radar? Fuck that noise.
  • Still not working on Mac.
  • There's a radar? Fuck that noise.
    There's always been a radar. It's not god radar (unless the server admin sets it up that way). It shows you where your current teammates are, as well as enemies that they can currently see. If you're a terrorist, it shows where the bomb is if it was dropped. If you're a counter-terrorist, it shows where the bomb is if it was dropped AND one of the CTs can see it.

This has been in CS since the beginning. It's not new.
  • The new radar also shows question marks ? I'm not sure exactly what they mean. I think they might be last known locations of enemies, or possible locations of enemies that just killed a teammate. Either way they are red, so I treat them as enemy locations.
  • Also, the new crosshairs suck.
  • edited August 2012
    Also, the new crosshairs suck.
    You can change them. I plan to.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    What? Hardly.

They show a great deal of information about scatter/spread and how it is/will be affected by running, walking, standing, and crouching all together in real time. They're just an extension of the changes made up to this point, and are basically the next logical step.

I see no possible complaint about them other than that "they're not identical to previous CS versions' crosshairs."

• The new radar also shows question marks ? I'm not sure exactly what they mean. I think they might be last known locations of enemies, or possible locations of enemies that just killed a teammate. Either way they are red, so I treat them as enemy locations.
    Especially considering that this is Counter-Strike ^_~
    What? Hardly.

They show a great deal of information about scatter/spread and how it is/will be affected by running, walking, standing, and crouching all together in real time. They're just an extension of the changes made up to this point, and are basically the next logical step.

I see no possible complaint about them other than that "they're not identical to previous CS versions' crosshairs."

They provide no more information than the classic crosshairs except for the fact that they obscure more of my view.

What? Hardly.

They provide no more information than the classic crosshairs except for the fact that they obscure more of my view.

You clearly didn't pay attention to the fact that there are multiple sets of independent ranges displayed simultaneously. That's new.

• CS:GO updated... but still doesn't work on my Mac.
  • CS:GO updated... but still doesn't work on my Mac.
    If Valve is going to offer a Mac version, and you paid money for it, it's bullshit that it doesn't work.

That being said, you get what you deserve trying to game on OSX.
  • I have Windows on another partition on this very same laptop, so could just install it there, but that means switching OS and, to be honest, I don't think I've got enough space on that partition for this game. I'd have to test it to see. The point is that I want to get a gaming fix right from OSX.
  • It's an honorable goal, but the world is stacked against you. ;^)
  • I have Windows on another partition on this very same laptop, so could just install it there, but that means switching OS and, to be honest, I don't think I've got enough space on that partition for this game. I'd have to test it to see. The point is that I want to get a gaming fix right from OSX.
    If you wanted a gaming fix, you shouldn't have bought a Mac. Still, Valve should give some refunds and/or not release games that don't work.

Then again, it's still beta, so you really can't complain about it not working until the final version is out.
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah, I'm not complaining in a way to get my money back, because I only bought it for the low initial price, not because I want the beta access right now. CS:S works just fine for my gaming fix.

Also, I think this is the first game I've bought on Steam through my OSX Steam client. All the other games I first played on Windows, but when they became available on OSX I just downloaded them again there. Portal, TF2, HL2 and CS:S all run fine, and those combined scratch my FPS itch no problem (and if I want, NS1 has always run perfectly over on Windows).
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Sooo.... The radar in old CS also showed you things like elevation, bomb location, etc...
    I wouldn't know if the new one is different from the old one because I've never looked at it.
    Guess how many people never make use of the radar in any FPS.
  • ARGH! My right mouse button just broke.
  • ARGH! My right mouse button just broke.
    You have a Mac, you don't need it.
    I believe enemies also show up on your radar not just if you can see them, but also if they're firing their gun, since the noise gives away their location. When they stop firing and you can't see them, they turn to ? which was their last known location.

I was playing a bunch more Demolition yesterday and it struck me how awesome it is that the "terrorists" change on every map. On Dust they're all middle-eastern, on Safehouse they're white and black guys in buisness casual, on Shoots they're tribal natives, another level they're Russian, it's awesome. Also really like that they just did away with that choosing your character model nonsense.
  • I kinda like kinda hate the Office terrorists, who look like emoish teens.
  • The number of people bitching about weapon spread, both in-game and on /vg/, is hilarious. CoD kids are getting wrecked, and crying constantly.
  • The number of people bitching about weapon spread, both in-game and on /vg/, is hilarious. CoD kids are getting wrecked, and crying constantly.
    lololol

• From my small sample size yesterday, it did seem like they increased the spread a bit.
  • From my small sample size yesterday, it did seem like they increased the spread a bit.
    It's possible. It definitely felt like they did it on the big machine gun, which I will forever refer to as the para.
    Likely, but these kids aren't even at the level of "This is different from what I'm used to". They're at the level of "Why can't I jump, run, and shoot across the map?"
    Likely, but these kids aren't even at the level of "This is different from what I'm used to". They're at the level of "Why can't I jump, run, and shoot across the map?"
    What I find the most hilarious is how these kids have never played any of the other Counter-Strikes before. Hello, been here for 12 years, how you doing?
  • Whenever someone bitches about something in their game changing all I hear is "I suck at adapting to different situations."
  • I would also like to remind everyone of something I have observed throughout the history of serious fps gaming. People playing the hardcore games such as CS or Quake, adapt very well to the other games like CoD, UT, or Halo. The Quake masters kicked ass at every fps they touched. The reverse has never been true.

My oldest memory of this was when Pete insisted that some UT mod that was a clone of CS was better than CS itself. I played it a few times, and I hosed everybody despite my low skill level. I thought I was cheating or doing something wrong, but I was just killing everybody. Rym did as well. When Pete tried to play CS, it did not go so well for him.

There isn't much room to debate which fpses are harder. If you switch from easy to hard, you're going to have a bad time.