This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• Any chance of getting that server up today?
  • Any chance of getting that server up today?
    If we do it by buying one, yes. If we wait for Rym to set one up using a computer in his FIOS house, try next year sometime.
  • The crash has returned with the latest update.
  • Bought. Installing.
  • The crash has returned with the latest update.
    Still works fine for me.
  • Was only one crash. Also experienced some crazy crazy lag one one server.
  • Working fine for me, and I actually like the new cross-hairs a LOT more than the classic ones.
  • edited August 2012
    I would also like to remind everyone of something I have observed throughout the history of serious fps gaming. People playing the hardcore games such as CS or Quake, adapt very well to the other games like CoD, UT, or Halo. The Quake masters kicked ass at every fps they touched. The reverse has never been true.

My oldest memory of this was when Pete insisted that some UT mod that was a clone of CS was better than CS itself. I played it a few times, and I hosed everybody despite my low skill level. I thought I was cheating or doing something wrong, but I was just killing everybody. Rym did as well. When Pete tried to play CS, it did not go so well for him.

There isn't much room to debate which fpses are harder. If you switch from easy to hard, you're going to have a bad time.
    CS:Go - New Exciting Flavor. Same supercilious bullshit.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've been having weird issues where when your at the team selection screen it shows the in game cursor and the OS cursor and I can't select anything.

I've never really been that into CS but I'm having a lot of fun with CS:GO. I can't really put my finger on why though.
  • I've been having weird issues where when your at the team selection screen it shows the in game cursor and the OS cursor and I can't select anything.

I've never really been that into CS but I'm having a lot of fun with CS:GO. I can't really put my finger on why though.
    I've been having the same problem but only in Arms Race. I've seen it mentioned on the steam forums but no solution as of yet. I'm 90% sure it has something to do with the team select screen coming up before you dismiss the Message of the Day that some servers have (and all AR servers seem to have).
  • I would also like to remind everyone of something I have observed throughout the history of serious fps gaming. People playing the hardcore games such as CS or Quake, adapt very well to the other games like CoD, UT, or Halo. The Quake masters kicked ass at every fps they touched. The reverse has never been true.

My oldest memory of this was when Pete insisted that some UT mod that was a clone of CS was better than CS itself. I played it a few times, and I hosed everybody despite my low skill level. I thought I was cheating or doing something wrong, but I was just killing everybody. Rym did as well. When Pete tried to play CS, it did not go so well for him.

There isn't much room to debate which fpses are harder. If you switch from easy to hard, you're going to have a bad time.
    I did fine at CS, douchecookie.

Quake 3, though, I get hosed.

I'm also wayyyyyyyyy out of practice with FPS's. Maybe I'll give this one a go in my copious spare time.

I had the same problem, figured it out though. You have to click where the "go" button or whatever is on the pop-up page. Which on my resolution is around where the observe or whatever button is. That will "close" the hidden window, then you can select a team.

I did enjoy getting some random achievement for killing the gold knife guy with a knife. Sadly that's the weapon I'm probably the best with. I like the shotguns, ARs, sniper rifles, and pistols. I hate the full blown machine guns and the little SMGs you start with. That's only on 2.9 hours of play time though.
  • I've actually had no issues other than that I can't bind anything to right shift (only left shift works). One blue screen, but that was an overheat (old video card + hot room). No crashes: not one.

Also, I need a Forever Alone style image specifically for "Forever second place in arms race." Last game, I was killed by the person who won in a dual-golden-knife duel.
  • I've had the gold knife once. Another guy on my team had it for about 5 minutes, but he kept failing to kill anyone. I thought I was sure to have it, but he managed to get it just as I was sneaking up on a guy.
  • edited August 2012
    I've been having weird issues where when your at the team selection screen it shows the in game cursor and the OS cursor and I can't select anything.

I had the same problem, figured it out though. You have to click where the "go" button or whatever is on the pop-up page. Which on my resolution is around where the observe or whatever button is. That will "close" the hidden window, then you can select a team.

I did enjoy getting some random achievement for killing the gold knife guy with a knife. Sadly that's the weapon I'm probably the best with. I like the shotguns, ARs, sniper rifles, and pistols. I hate the full blown machine guns and the little SMGs you start with. That's only on 2.9 hours of play time though.
    You are totally backwards on weapons. SMGs and assault rifles are the most powerful weapons in the game. The other weapons are for specialized situations. I buy a P90, M4, or AK over 75% of the time when I can afford them. If you aim carefully and quickly, and most importantly do not spray, you will own.

I also want to say that I love how they got the economy exactly right in CS:GO. Money didn't matter too much in the other games. First round would be pistol round. Every other round you could buy whatever you wanted, even if you lost. In CS:GO you actually have to think about money. The bad part of this is it gives a slight momentum to the team that wins early rounds, but that's sort of how it's supposed to be.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Serious question time. Having never played any form of Counter Strike, and with very limited experience with multiplayer FPS games in general, what would you all suggest I figure out how to do RIGHT FUCKING NOW in CS:GO?
  • edited August 2012
    Things you should do: Play Casual in match making unless you already know a server you want to play on (in my experience playing pub games, match making is just as good if not better than trying to find a public server that doesn`t stuck) Defuse and Hostage are standard CS and have some extra rules (though the E button is the only extra button you ever need to press to do the extra verbs). AR is basically death match.

How it be not terrible (I`ve never surpassed `competent` so YMMV)

Never shoot:

1. while you're moving
    2. while you're standing if they are more than 5 feet away
    3. more than 3 bullets at a time
    4. at anything below the nipples
    5. from around the same corner twice (if you think there`s a guy waiting to plug you, go the long way around. Of the 3 knife kills I`ve ever gotten since I first played CS 10 years ago, all three were from poking a sniper from behind who was looking at the wrong corner).

Also, your footsteps are a dead give-away. If you're not 100% sure there isn't a guy around the corner Shift+WASD makes you walk (which is nearly silent) and ctrl+WASD makes you crouch, which is silent and gives you a better spread (the cross hair will tighten up to represent this) but it is slower. That being said, early in the round or if you`re the last guy alive, just go for it.

Ignore the haters. While they are not quite at Dota levels of abrasiveness, you`ll still get idiots acting like you killed their dog if you`re the last guy alive and you lose.

You may break any of these rules once you fully internalize why you shouldn`t.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I like the ARs and the better SMGs. I hate the actual machine guns though (the big fully auto box guns). I often just resort to the knife at that point.
  • See, I like to jump around like a lunatic and stab people. I've played way too much tribes.
  • Serious question time. Having never played any form of Counter Strike, and with very limited experience with multiplayer FPS games in general, what would you all suggest I figure out how to do RIGHT FUCKING NOW in CS:GO?
    I would normally say you should learn to kill somebody, since that is 90+% of the game. But actually I'm going to say you need to memorize the maps. You should know your way around the basic maps cs_office, cs_italy, de_dust, de_dust2, etc. the way you know your own home. You can't have your brain dedicated to aiming, firing, etc. if it is thinking about where to go.
  • I enjoy CS, Modern Warfare, and Battlefield games WAY too much considering that pretty much all I do is repeatedly die in them without scoring any kills. If I have one epic moment per 10 hours of play, I'm doing well (and seemingly, well enough to remain interested.)
  • edited August 2012
    I like the ARs and the better SMGs. I hate the actual machine guns though (the big fully auto box guns). I often just resort to the knife at that point.
    The machine guns are for covering fire and area control. They are much more useful when there is no friendly fire. If you try to go around killing people with them like you would an assault rifle or smg, you are going to have a bad time.

A good use of a machine gun would be to spray up a window where an enemy sniper is hiding. This won't kill him, but it will force him to stay down or retreat, allowing the sniper on your team to take him out without worrying about being sniped himself. The machine gun has so much ammo you can keep the guy down for quite some time.

If there is no FF on the server, then what you do is stay behind your teammates. When they turn the corner and rush into danger, come out behind them spraying. They can run down the path taking guys out with a sea of bullets following them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • A good use of a machine gun would be to spray up a window where an enemy sniper is hiding. This won't kill him, but it will force him to stay down or retreat, allowing the sniper on your team to take him out without worrying about being sniped himself. The machine gun has so much ammo you can keep the guy down for quite some time.
    Except, in CS if I go to a place where I can see a window where sniper is I'm already dead. There is a sniper bullet ether in my head or on it's way.

• The machine guns are for covering fire and area control. They are much more useful when there is no friendly fire. If you try to go around killing people with them like you would an assault rifle or smg, you are going to have a bad time.

A good use of a machine gun would be to spray up a window where an enemy sniper is hiding. This won't kill him, but it will force him to stay down or retreat, allowing the sniper on your team to take him out without worrying about being sniped himself. The machine gun has so much ammo you can keep the guy down for quite some time.

If there is no FF on the server, then what you do is stay behind your teammates. When they turn the corner and rush into danger, come out behind them spraying. They can run down the path taking guys out with a sea of bullets following them.
    I'm only playing gun-game so-far. It changes the dynamic. Whatever gets me to the next weapon faster is generally what I want.
  • The machine guns are for covering fire and area control. They are much more useful when there is no friendly fire. If you try to go around killing people with them like you would an assault rifle or smg, you are going to have a bad time.

I'm only playing gun-game so-far. It changes the dynamic. Whatever gets me to the next weapon faster is generally what I want.
    Yeah, in gungame when you get a machine gun, the best idea is to surprise someone from up close and let loose.
  • In gungame, don't under-estimate the knife. You get your level, and you TAKE A LEVEL AWAY FROM THE GUY WHAT YOU KNIFED.
  • In gungame, don't under-estimate the knife. You get your level, and you TAKE A LEVEL AWAY FROM THE GUY WHAT YOU KNIFED.
    Yes, knifing is a good way to get past that gun you suck with.
    That would explain why gold knife guy was extra pissed.
  • First Arms Race win! :D
  • First Arms Race win! :D
    Winning Arms Race/Gungame feels super good.

It's always so intense, so close, so brutal. And you're up against everyone else on the map simultaneously. I feel more intensity there than any scrim no matter how competitive.